10 replies to this topic

#1 Bud Guidry

Bud Guidry

Ragin Cajun

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,415 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 07:22 PM

I listed a rifle bird and fairy bluebird in Ebay. Both purchased in 2006 at Somerset, excellent condition

RAmidbuck.GIF
MY FLY PATTERN DATABASE

FOUNDER AND PRESIDENT OF THE OFFICIAL CLASSICS PAGE SLACKERS CLUB
HONORARY WINNER OF THE 2011 BIGGEST SLACKER AWARD

http://flyfishline.com/art_gallery2.php

My mind belongs to this forum
My heart belongs to my family
My soul belongs to my flies

#2 alchemist

alchemist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:57 PM

What's your ebay handle?  I can't find the rifle bird listing...

#3 DaveT

DaveT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 01:00 AM

That's because it's not actually listed as riflebird for some curious reason.
"Goin' home, goin' home, by the waterside I will rest my bones.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul."

#4 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 04:54 PM

I am mystified.  Will someone please explain to me what a bidder gains from making 20 bids in two dollar increments?

Darwin award winner of flytying

#5 buggybob

buggybob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 11:20 PM

They don’t want to pay any more than they have to.

#6 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 02:15 AM

They don’t want to pay any more than they have to.

That makes exactly no sense.  You can place a bid for any large number and the price you will pay to win will always be just a little more than the next highest bidder.  You NEVER pay more than you have to to win.

#7 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 02:29 AM

You may be able to shave some off the ebay standard margin, but that is pretty trivial. And in most cases of items that are in some demand, the bids anytime before the last ten seconds of the auction are meaningless!   Generally, if a bid placed well before the end of an auction wins, it's because a couple of bidders were willing to pay well over what the item was generally considered to be worth.

The proper way to place a bid for anything worth having is to: 1) Determine what the item is worth to you.  2)  Wait until ten seconds or less before the auction ends and then 3)  Bid that amount.  Ideally, use a sniper program so you are not even aware the auction is ending.  You will be notified if you win.

#8 buggybob

buggybob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 06:54 PM

Bidders are not always rocket scientists ! Their bidding style makes sense to them.

#9 wsbailey

wsbailey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 07:25 PM

I think the idea is to confuse the competition. The increments might be $2.00 but the actual bid can be much more.

#10 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:35 PM

I think the idea is to confuse the competition. The increments might be $2.00 but the actual bid can be much more.

I have to presume you actually want to purchase the bid item.  And for the lowest possible price.  Bidding repeatedly does the same thing as bidding at all; it has the potential to drive up the price.  If you want to buy things on eBay auction for the best price, bid once.  Bid close enough to the auction end that no one can react to your bid. 10 seconds or less is good.  Never bid more than the item is worth to you unless you must have it at any price.  And never never ever EVER bid reactively to someone else's bid!  Learn the value of things before bidding if the item is a standard something for which the value can be determined.

These are not my own ideas, although I did figure it out before reading about it.  Google the subject.  I understand that some simply bid for the entertainment value. And some for other reasons. (I often see bidders playing around with bids at half or less what the item will eventually sell for.)  But if gaining the item up for "auction" at the lowest price is your intent, follow my advice. You really don't want anyone else watching an auction to even know you are interested.

#11 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 02:41 PM

I understand that there are other possibilities when bidding on eBay than getting the item at the lowest possible price. 

For instance, say you know and like the seller.  You want them to get a high price!  (I recently paid more than the asking price to a friend in a private sale who was selling some feathers because he needed the money.)  The best way to insure that it to make an early high bid.  It will cause others to try and outbid you.  Their frustration, curiosity and competitiveness will cause some to keep bidding to try and surpass your bid.  Of course, if you make it high enough, you will end up buying the item yourself.  But hey, it's for a friend!