#1 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:31 PM

Okay folks...put your thinking caps on.

A good friend of ours was telling us how her 14 year old grandson in Colorado has been fishing since he was 8 and has begun fly fishing. His father does not fly fish, but that does not deter this young man. Billie (his grandmother and my/our long time friend) has asked me to help her get him started with his desire to start tying flies. She told me she has a budget of about $100.00 for whatever he needs, and wants to buy him a fly tying "kit". I explained to her that really isn't the best idea and why that is true as best I could to a totally uninformed person regarding anything about out sport and hobby.

So...as one of those typical compulsive/obsessive tying types I have enough materials to tie whatever I need for the next 3...maybe 4 lifetimes and the same supply of tools to do the job as well. To help out I am going to put together and give her that "kit" from my stockpile of goodies...necks, furs, hooks, basic tools (scissors, hackle pliers, bobbins, bodkin, etc).

I am looking for some ideas on a vise. I'm afraid neither of my Renzettis is availablelaugh.png  Any thoughts on a well made reasonably priced vise for a beginner. I believe the way to keep a beginners interest is to get them started with the right stuff !!! 

And of course any thoughts on specific materials is welcome.

Thanks in advance for any input and insight you can give.

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#2 Charlie Vestal

Charlie Vestal

Lakewood, Colorado

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:47 PM

George,

If this young man is anywhere near Denver then get him headed off to the West Denver Fly Tying Clinic, Saturday, Feb 10th at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds.  This will be the 41st or 42nd year for this event.  About 50 or so folks tying everything you can imagine.  Plus, a special table set up to help beginners learn to tie.

I've given away all my "extra" vises to the grandkids so I'm left to struggle with a Renzetti, an HMH and a Peak.  I think both Renzetti and HMH make a "traveler" or beginner vise.

Charlie

Chemical Engineering: Solving problems you didn't know you had, in ways you don't understand ......

#3 Flynewbrunswick

Flynewbrunswick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:51 AM

Class act George,Great to see. Pay it forth to the youth.
Most young kids don't have hobby's and fall into wrong habits. especially in today's society.
Would start him off with some furs for wets and dries to learn the basic's as he progresses introduce him into the feather wings :P

I would recommend a book to start him off so he has something to strive for & progress., or if he has access to the net, can suggest the fly tying bible. Very basic  easily broken down & will serve his fishing needs swell. This book is what I used to learn to tie 3'ish years ago.

http://www.rb-flys.com/escola/the-fly-tying-bible-fishing.pdf

Chris

#4 S FONTINALIS

S FONTINALIS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:56 AM

anvil vise is a goodun

#5 Tidal

Tidal

Val Kropiwnicki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:32 PM

Good on you George! I was thinking about what I could not do without for trout tying materials/ a minimum kit. This is what I came up with.

•Davy Wotton SLF dubbing dispenser - Master Class Oliver Edwards River & Stream (30 colors!)

•CDC puffs in local bugs color

•a patch of Moose

•a bucktail and patch of tan fine deer belly

•some fine gold wire

•black hackle, dubbing, sheet foam (beetles and ants)

I can't recommend a vise, but I do know tying on a crappy piece of equipment can be frustrating in the beginning.

Happy Holidays!

Val

#6 buggybob

buggybob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 02:31 AM

Check out the Hareline Dubbing fly tying kits, They come in three levels, materials only, an economy version and a "premium" version.  They include a book to teach a wide assortment of flies with all of the materials included in the kit.  The economy and premium also include good tools and a good vise. The kits were put together by two of the Hareline employees who are well versed in fly ting.

#7 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 04:42 AM

The old style Renzetti Travelers come up on eBay pretty regularly.  You can normally pick one up for around $100.  I don't see how you could do better than one of those.  I still use mine after 30 years.  And keep some spares around for teaching. They accept most any size hooks and hold well.  The rotary function is smooth.  What else could you need?

If you would like, you may have one of mine and I will pick up another in due time when the price is right on eBay.

Darwin award winner of flytying

#8 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 06:51 PM

The old style Renzetti Travelers come up on eBay pretty regularly.  You can normally pick one up for around $100.  I don't see how you could do better than one of those.  I still use mine after 30 years.  And keep some spares around for teaching. They accept most any size hooks and hold well.  The rotary function is smooth.  What else could you need?

If you would like, you may have one of mine and I will pick up another in due time when the price is right on eBay.

Jim,

Thank you so much for the offer to sell me the vise. I spoke with the lady doing this for her grandson and she feels it should be something "brand new". I told her that really doesn't matter in this case...but I'll just go with the flow on this one. If anything changes you'll be the first to know.

Thank you again,

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#9 A-ZFlyguy2017

A-ZFlyguy2017

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:38 AM

Griffin makes a decent vise under $100, there are several reproductions of the old Thompson vises on the market or some spirit river all in one kits with the wooden carrying cases still out there, some on eBay. These will get the job done, think back to the vises we started on....took some convincing of my dad that a $60 neck wasnt the same feather you could find at the craft store but I loved every bit of tying ever since I started. Let me know if youd like any materials for this young man, I have some capes, saddle, marabou.....the works if youd like some.

Shawn