4 replies to this topic

#1 Salmontyer79

Salmontyer79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 06:44 PM

Hello.
Can you guess please give me some info on this Nelson's head cement I just bought. Applying techniques, hoe long it takes to dry, do you than apply a clear coat or is it good after application . cant find any info and I have a classic salmon fly tied upI'm definitely not willing to fuck up as an experiment newish, any help would be appreciated.

#2 Salmontyer79

Salmontyer79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 06:45 PM

.. Kelsons head cement .. Not nelsons .. Stupid keyboard phone

#3 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 12:33 AM

I'm sorry you have not yet received a response.   

I have, but do not routinely use the Kelson's cement, sold by John McLain.  I would suggest you stir it VERY THOROUGHLY before using.  Then, apply a very little at a time with the tip of your bodkin, starting closest to the gut and gradually teasing it towards the feathers.   Take plenty of time.  It will wick into the feathers if given a path to do so.  Then, give it plenty of time to dry.

Having said all that, I recommend buying a bottle of black Cellire and using that.  It comes a bit thin, so the first thing to do is leave the cap off the bottle for a while until some of the solvent evaporates. It also needs to be stirred thoroughly.

I monitor Facebook-Classic Salmonflies regularly.  If you ask questions there, you will likely get a more timely reply.

Darwin award winner of flytying

#4 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 11:22 AM

Too many folks have moved on Jim...mostly to fly tying world...or so it would seem.

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#5 Salmontyer79

Salmontyer79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 01:16 PM

Jim! Thank you for taking the time to reply. Your input is extremely helpful!and yes I tend to go to flytyingworld . since this site is all but dead. Luckily a savior messaged me and pulled me over there after trying to get conversations gping in here . thanks to evwryone who shares thier knowledge and keeps this alive to the new generations coming into it.