• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 airedale

airedale

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 04:36 PM

I am looking for materials that I have seen listed in a book I found for Classic Salmon Flies. Tell me what you have and what you will sell them for.

Macaw for horns (mostly red or blue)
Bustard
Different colors of Seal
Scarlet/Red Ibis
Jungle Cock or Substitute (I would rather start with substitute until I am good enough to not waste the real stuff)
Golden Pheasant tail
Lady Amherst skins (heads, tails, bodies, etc.)
Other Pheasant skins (Silver, Reeves, etc)
Gallina (Don't know what it is)
Blue Jay
Claret Hackle
Materials for Wings (Swan and such)
Other Salmon Fly Materials

This is pretty much just a list of materials from a book from a library. If you have some stuff that you don't need, PM me with a price or trade. I have some materials, but not much.

#2 imhooked

imhooked

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 04:43 PM

Go to www.feathersmc.com that should cover most of your list. Good luck
Doug

#3 flykid

flykid

Alex Hayes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 05:08 PM

Yes go to feathersmc. You can get all of that there except for ibis and jay maybe. (last i checked he was out of jay) Ibis is very rare and expensive but you can use african gray parrot tails for a substitute which you can also get at feathersmc. You can even get kori bustard which is very rare usually.
Alex Hayes

E-mail address- [email protected]

#4 Mike Boyer

Mike Boyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,651 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:25 PM

Quick search of ebay:

Jay wings is what you want:
http://cgi.ebay.com/...id=p3286.c0.m14

Gallina is the old time name for Guinea fowl:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...id=p3286.c0.m14

There is no good sub for Jungle Cock. Try one of the fishing grade capes to start:

http://sporting-good...ksid=m270.l1313

Most of the other Pheasant species can be found at ebay or online fly shops. John at feathersmc has some nice tails (Macaw, Golden Pheasant, and Amgold Pheasant especially). He also has just about everything else on
your list.

Good luck!

#5 Ronn Lucas

Ronn Lucas

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,301 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:40 AM

How much tying and what kind have you done? It sounds like maybe no atlantic salmon fly tying. If I'm right, slow down! You don't need most of that stuff in the beginning.
Happy Trails!
Ronn

My Website
http://www.ronnlucassr.com/
APPLE FRITTER BANDIT

#6 airedale

airedale

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:31 PM

I'm not really sure, mostly where I live there are some salmon and steelhead, but I would like to get into the more artistic flies... They are really nice, and I would like to have the materials I need to do them. What do you think I would need for the really artistic ones.

#7 flykid

flykid

Alex Hayes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:40 PM

airedale, I think what Ronn's saying is that you won't want to jump right in to tying super artistic flies because you will get frustrated and probably waste good material. If you are serious about getting into it you should go to Ronn's website and click on the link called "how to dress salmon flies". You won't need the expensive materials to start learning techniques. There are alot of different skills and techniques used in salmon fly tying that aren't used in regular fly tying. So save yourself some time, money and effort and go to Ronn's site first. You'll thank yourself later when your cranking out some real beauties!
Alex Hayes

E-mail address- [email protected]

#8 imhooked

imhooked

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:00 PM

I agree with the guys, I started right off on the "Classic Salmon fly's" and now I am back in school learning all the "basics" from Ronn's website and it is the best thing I could have ever done, I only wish that I had the advise a year or so that you are getting now. Good luck.
Doug

#9 airedale

airedale

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 12:37 AM

Yeah, I think you are right. Ya gotta crawl before you can walk.

#10 airedale

airedale

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 12:41 AM

Oh Crap! Blond moment. It is kinda hard to tie a salmon fly without salmon fly hooks. I need to make a new post... laugh.gif

#11 sukhoidave

sukhoidave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:09 AM

I'll get some more stuff in the mail to you.

I really would recommend sneaking up on the fancy salmon flies. After 40 years of tying that is still what I'm doing. LOL

Try tying classic wet like from the Bergman Trout book and classic streamers like Carrie Stevens and other New England patterns. The attention to detail and tying technique will carry over well and you will still be making beautiful flies. (while avoiding great frustration, I believe) Plenty of wets with married wings and other typical components of salmon flies. Toss in some MOM style flies and you get into gut eyes and snells and that kind of stuff.

For wing materials just get some goose and duck wing quills and goose shoulder quills. Your scarce money will go much farther towards materials for those types of flies than full blown salmon materials like swan.

Pretty good fly tyer, lousy fly fisherman

Sukhoidave's Custom Tying Tools

#12 airedale

airedale

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:29 PM

Thanks Dave! biggrin.gif

#13 flyryan

flyryan

Ryan Houston

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,477 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE(airedale @ Sep 14 2008, 04:29 PM) View Post

Thanks Dave! biggrin.gif

i would reccommend Michael D Radenciches books as an excellent benchside companion there are lots of helpful tips and top quality photography down to the correct placing of wraps of materials and tying in positions
the others are correct in that john mclain should be able to sort your materials whatever your needs and he has just sourced white turkey which is available in a variety of colours he dyes himself
ebay may throw up some of the more random stuff if you set up a search and get it to email you when something pops up
try mcdee labradors if you want gray peacock pheasant for your artistic flies
for your whole feather wings i would suggest reading radencich and practising on cheap feathers like those secondaries on ringneck pheasant or domestic rooster wings with your pliers before destroying expensive exotics
as for hooks there is an ebay seller called hookrunner10 based in france who comes on occasionally with job lots but you can arrange privately with him he has a minimum order of 30 i think, the hooks are slight seconds but they still look good and are more than suitable for practice

Ryan Houston

to see the rest of the flies i have tied just visit  facebook page and browse my photos or galleries

https://www.facebook.com/Classic-FLIES-A-Z-766762363375794/

https://youtu.be/g8qFgPJD00c

https://www.facebook.com/RyanHoustonSalmonTroutAndPikeFlies?ref=hl