ClassicFlyTying.com Sponsors
Hand Made Salmon Hooks
Ronn Lucas, Sr.
www.ronnlucassr.com
(503)654-0466
[email protected]

Photo

Vision, glasses, trust and the tactile sense.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 easterngray

easterngray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:03 PM

Its been an interesting tying season for me as regards my vision. Im 57 years old and have been wearing glasses for the last 30 years, bifocals for the last 10. When I sat down at the vise this past autumn I noticed a considerable difference in my near-field vision at the vise... it was worse! Without the aid of an old Herters clamp mounted magnifying glass, the thread and materials were pretty much out of focus. I did find the magnifying glass to be a bit of a bother though, so I used it on only the smallest of the flies I tie, about a size 14 or 16. I pressed on and subsequently tied more flies this off-season than I have in quite a few years and really discovered that TOUCH, FEEL and yes even TRUST IN YOUR ABILITY play a larger role in tying then I ever imagined. The connection we have with the tying thread is every bit as much tactile as it is visible; dare I say even more so. On those mornings when I really couldnt see a blessed thing, I relied on muscle memory and trust and the results were astonishingly good. The thread went where I wanted because I had done it so many times before. Its difficult to trust yourself to continue to tie when you cant see, but by golly it works!
I picked up my new glasses after work today and headed straight to the vise when I got home. To my delight, everything is now sharply in focus and clear as a bell. I let out a whoop of joy and broke out the polar bear in celebration and tied up some smallie streamers.
I wouldnt want to tie like I have been doing the last 4 months again, but it did teach me some interesting lessons in the fundamental roots of our skills at the vise that I probably wouldnt have learned otherwise. Im not suggesting it made me a better tyer, but it certainly made me a more confident and grateful one.
Alec M. Stansell
Cape Cod & Maine

#2 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:11 PM

I feel your pain Alec. At 55 I now tie with my glasses off and a magnifier for the smaller sizes. I tried bifocals but I didnt like them so went back to regular glasses. I think eye strain plays a big part for me being a welder by trade

Stephen

#3 Bud Guidry

Bud Guidry

Ragin Cajun

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,405 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:16 AM

My eyes are shot, diabetes hasn't been kind

RAmidbuck.GIF
MY FLY PATTERN DATABASE

FOUNDER AND PRESIDENT OF THE OFFICIAL CLASSICS PAGE SLACKERS CLUB
HONORARY WINNER OF THE 2011 BIGGEST SLACKER AWARD

http://flyfishline.com/art_gallery2.php

My mind belongs to this forum
My heart belongs to my family
My soul belongs to my flies

#4 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 03:21 PM

I have had CSS as well as CHS, and all the other maladies that effect the five senses blush.png

#5 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 10:09 PM

My eyes are shot, diabetes hasn't been kind

If magnification and light helps, I can recommend some reasonably priced, American made surgical binoculars with led light source.

Darwin award winner of flytying

#6 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 04:02 PM

https://lumadent.com/products/flip-up-3-0x.html     I like this company.  They make very good led lights with batteries.  The price for these binoculars seems good relative to the competition.

Darwin award winner of flytying