2 replies to this topic

#1 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:46 PM

Please refer to this link before posting.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=7198

Anyone who violates the rules will have their post deleted without explanation.

"“The longer you live, the more you look around, the more you realize something is f****d up.” - George Carlin

#2 mibrooks27

mibrooks27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:34 AM

How can you determine if the Pryce-Tannatt edition is a first or not? I bought a old copy of How To Dress Salmon Flies in London years ago. There is no publication date inside the book, but someone wrote Winter 1940 on the inside of the cover. The reason I bought it
Is because the photographs of flies are photographs, not prints. The dust jacket is in sad shape - white with color images of flies. The book jacket is green and does not have the fish nor flies I see from dealers claiming theirs is a first edition. I cannot imagine an important book like this with no publication date, etc. I am confused by the fact that it is different from what antique book sellers are claiming as first editions. My understanding, though, is that a 1940 date would make it one. Does anyone have a guess about what I have?

This isnt for sale and I am not sure if it is being posted correctly, but I figured collectors who know about these things would be here.

#3 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:24 PM

My knowledge is limited, but what I understand of the matter is that the "second printing" occurred in 1948.  However, it may be that is when some revisions were made.  I suspect a book that remained in print and available for sale as long as this one did most likely had more copies made from time to time.  34 years (it was originally released in 1914) is an awfully long time for the original first  printing to have hung around, eh?  

As for dates, the English did not routinely put copyright or print dates in their books.

So "1st edition" may mean only that the book is a print of the original version and text of the book.  The availability of 1st editions in various covers almost surely means that more than one printing of the edition was done.

Darwin award winner of flytying