• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JerriB

JerriB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:02 PM

Does anyone still tie and fish small midges, #24-30? Back in the mid 1970's , it seemed as if every fly fishing article had the angler going down to 7x, 8x and fishing the tiniest of flies. Now.... I often don't see the hooks offered in many catalogs. #22 seems like the limit in most shops inventory. 

I still have many hooks; I bought a lot when Mustad phased out many of their styles and some sizes and I'm glad that I did. I still tie and fish very small; I caught a nice brook trout on a #28 Black Midge dry this March. And with the Whiting hackle that is available today, getting hackle in the smallest sizes is much better than it was back in the '70's when truly good, tiny hackle was an incredibly rare find on even the best necks of that period. 

#2 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:05 PM

Agreed. I tied to 32 but rarely fished them. Even in 24-26 I used 6x though and lots of it. Midge fishing his a favorite. Dale
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#3 Charlie Vestal

Charlie Vestal

Lakewood, Colorado

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:26 AM

Agree with both of you.  Dale and I have fished midges together many times and size 24 and 26 classic dry flies (Adams for example).  6X tippet just as Dale says, lot's of it 5'-7'

Chemical Engineering: Solving problems you didn't know you had, in ways you don't understand ......

#4 Tidal

Tidal

Val Kropiwnicki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:27 AM

I will tie small on a size 22, cdc some thread and a couple micro tails. I could not imagine wrapping hackle that small. 24+ is out of my league in both tying fun and fishing ability. 6x is the lightest I go on tippet.

#5 overmywaders

overmywaders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:52 AM

The smallest I use on our NH freestone streams is #20. The flies don't seem to be smaller than that on our rivers. 

#6 Charlie Vestal

Charlie Vestal

Lakewood, Colorado

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:53 AM

Dale and I fished a tailwater river that gets a lot of tourist/guide pressure.  Skinny clear water with lots of little bugs.  Sometimes a 26 midge looked like the elephant in the room.

I fished there during spring break (3rd week of March) in alternating rain/snow/wind/calm but had it almost to myself.  A 26 Barr Emerger fished behind a 20 Sparkle Dun (indicator fly) was the secret to match the bugs that day.

Charlie

Chemical Engineering: Solving problems you didn't know you had, in ways you don't understand ......

#7 arkle

arkle

arkle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:17 AM

Some years ago, maybe 15 or more, I used to do tying demo's for clubs etc & I tied split wing royal coachman's on Partridge #28's along with a sort of parachute pattern, Never fished them though.  Then someone gave me a few Tiemco 32's but I can no longer see the packet.....   You might find this worth a look    http://smallflyfunk.blogspot.co.uk/

#8 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:49 AM

JerriB,

Small stuff is a mainstay in my fly boxes. I am a regular on a local tail water where a large caddis is an 18, but fishing small dries down to 24 or 26 is not unusual. The Trico hatch is getting started and 24's will now be the order of the day...and 7X for sure on a stream that gets fished pretty hard. Thank goodness for retirement and weekday fishing.

My other favorite haunts are our Pennsylvania limestone streams...aka spring creeks. With a very few exceptions small is again the order of the day.

Finally...I posted something last week in the salmon fly forum regarding avoiding membership in the "Slacker's Club". I managed to avoid that dreaded membership by showing my large batch of tied...much needed...caddis flies in sizes 18 to 24...with photos attached. I'm back on a salmon fly now.biggrin.png

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#9 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:50 PM

love the small stuff when the light is right!   

as for sizes   I cannot say what size the hook is because of alll the screwy styles found to day.  I have some , let's say 24's, that are all different

shank lengths.   so when talking to friends i'll usually refer to a fly as ..."about 1/4" long"  .

Long stretches of 6x are common although I've never used 4-5' long as Charlie talks about.  (But I will try that soon!)   I frequently use 7x under the most demanding conditions (about 24" long) and don't worry about landing the fish.. It's al about the take.

ted

#10 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:52 PM

Teddy, when the tippet is under 5' I add material. Haha.

#11 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:16 PM

Leaders are another entire discussion.

Use today's furled leaders and 5',6', even 7' of tippet is doable. I personally do not like those leaders for the simple fact that while they perform well it is like fishing with a silk line...as in...dry it, dress it, clean it, blah, blah blah. I've gone to Frog Hair Supple Butt 9.5'  5X leaders, then add 3 feet or more of tippet with a loop to loop connection and I am rockin' and rollin'.

Petri Heil,

George

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#12 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:16 PM

Way too short for the way I fish. But who cares? Anyone having fun is fine because fishing is fun.

#13 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:04 AM

Way too short for the way I fish. But who cares? Anyone having fun is fine because fishing is fun.

FUN...that is the bottom line for sure Dale !!!!

Petri Heil,

George

#14 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:33 PM

if i don't want to have fun I go golfing

#15 JerriB

JerriB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:48 PM

That's good to hear. I LOVE the small fly fishing. A couple years back, before a big flood changed the stream, we had a local meadow stretch that ran into a lake. Many small largemouths, bluegills and some stocked holdovers were in that water and it had a HUGE Caenis hatch that lasted two or so weeks in the June evenings. I tied a lot of the little white spentwings with the black abdomen, No-Hackles, classic hackle dries, etc. in #20-28 and spot fished for these fish with 7x. You could catch 15-20 small bass in 90 minutes before dark. My best bass was 10" on a tiny poly spent wing, my best trout was a 16" brown on a #24 No-hackle dry. Some of the most unique fishing that I ever experienced. 

#16 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:06 PM

Thanks for that. Good to hear.