9 replies to this topic

#1 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:47 AM

Not great but it's my first one. Is there something can be applied to thenquill wings to make them more durable,?

Attached Files

#2 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:24 PM

Very pretty.

No need to do anything to the wings.

A story. Mike Lawson, a friend, came to my fit shop to reach a tying class. He taught no hackles, tail, body, duck quill wing. He'd tied thousands. Said, "I've tied so many I can't tie them wrong" referring to the perfect wings. "But after I tie one to my tippet thus us what I do."

He put the lovely fly in the Palm of one gabs and ground it into that Palm with the index finger of the other. Mussed and splut the quills. "They fish better like this."
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#3 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:44 AM

Thanks Dale.

#4 squire123

squire123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:20 AM

Mogup that's a very good first effort that easily equals my 100th.

Dale I spent a couple of hours in Mike Lawson's shop one afternoon but can't say I know him any more than a casual acquaintance.  He struck me as a no nonsense kinda guy and told me a story about a frustrating afternoon on the Henry's Fork.  He and a companion had sat down on the bank to asses things when one of them threw a cigarette butt into the water.  Then a large trout rose up and ate it.

Regards,

Squire

#5 JoshP

JoshP

Bluefield, WV

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:04 AM

Great tie, Mogup! I think the quill slips look just fine.

#6 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:24 AM

Thansk Squire and Josh. Josh thanks regarding wings. I was asking about anything that can be applied to keep that way. Lol I would image that they come apart quite easily and certainly after a take I would think. I liked Dales story about Mike Lawson so I ll just not worry about it.

#7 JoshP

JoshP

Bluefield, WV

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:34 AM

Oh, ive heard of folks dressing them with a coat of Griffs thin head cement. I never have though.

#8 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:38 PM

Wings are great. You can spray them with some light upholstery glue but they will twist your tippett even more and make funny sounds when you cast.lol. I would leave them as is and go fishing, the trout will not mind in the least. Well done

Stephen

#9 Ed M

Ed M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 04:04 PM

M -

In answer to your initial question, flyshack.com (no recommendation implied or intended  :-) ) sells something they call "Feather Tough" or "Feather Tuff" - shown both ways on the website.  You spray this on feathers like quills for wings and they are more likely to stay together.  Basically, this stuff is hair spray for feathers (which is something that probably works the same).  As  knock it does add weight (though not terribly), but it will help with the goal...

Ultimately, if they accomplish their purpose and catch fish, they'll be dog-eared before long, regardless

Best, Ed

#10 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 04:14 AM

Thanks Stephen and thanks for the info Ed.