13 replies to this topic

#1 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:17 PM

It appears we're getting a little spurt here on dries; great!

Mogup asked about a Dun, then explained. Here are a set of pix about how I tie
a hen cape mayfly adult wing. Much more in my little book - 300+ pages -
Mayflies: Tying: https://www.amazon.com/MAYFLIES-TYING-Solutions-Dale-Darling-ebook/dp/B00VETRW4I/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1488923253&sr=1-1&keywords=mayflies:+tying
for a whopping $3.99!

Attached File  TailTieIn.JPG   66.78K   32 downloads,
Start thread at mid point of shank; select spade fibers; measure so tips are aligned with end of bend; move spot that
aligns with front of eye to tail tie in position; tie in

Attached File  BodyDub.JPG   76.06K   37 downloads
key to dubbing: small amounts of fine material over long length of thread;
cover to original thread start position; create tapered body

Attached File  WingMeasure.JPG   88.1K   34 downloadsAttached File  WingScissors.JPG   131.4K   36 downloads Attached File  WingCut.JPG   91.65K   32 downloads
Select a pair of hen cape feathers; width of color should equal hook gap; feather tops should face each other;
align tips
photo 1: align even tips with back of bend: as though they are filling the hook from bend to eye, along shank;
photo 2: hold feathers in LH in that position; align scissor blade with front of hook eye;
photo 3: clip straight, perpendicular to shank; remove excess fluff

Attached File  WingTieInStart.jpg   72.31K   30 downloads
Continue to hold wings in LH; Align cut tips with thread - note it is as the back of the head;
make adjacent wraps back, until thread is at 3/4 point of shank - it'll hang about half way
between the front of the eye and the hook point

Attached File  WingTieInDone.jpg   88K   31 downloads
With each thread wrap gently pull up on the wings; they'll look like this when tied in on top of the shank
only yours will be better.

Attached File  WingDived.jpg   132.4K   33 downloads
I use my left thumbnail to push against the stems, to crimp the feathers so they divide;
make 1-2 wraps of thread behind the wings adjacent to the shank; that's all it takes to hold them

Attached File  WingSplit.jpg   116.96K   31 downloads
Once split, they look like this

Attached File  HackleTieIn.jpg   120.62K   35 downloads
I look at them; if each wing is at a 45 degree angle to the shank, that's good enough.
Wing is done; no more thread
select, prepare - clip along the stem - and tie in rooster hackle;
I tie feathers in along the side of the shank, so they do not touch the wings.
Most of the time the butts are one turn of thread behind the wing; wrap thread
back so area behind wing is about equal to that in front; here, there is more area in front,
which doesn't matter to me.

Attached File  Hackle1.JPG   112.08K   39 downloads
Wind first feather; 2-3+ wraps behind wing; some space between; final wrap behind wing should touch
the base of the wing stems, as should the first wrap in front of the wing: this stabilizes the wings.
I tie off the first feather within the first bit of the head - near the back of the head, but in the
head area; 2-3 forward turns of thread, so feather is on top of the hook; clip excess close.
Wind second feather through the first, with fullness to your taste.
Final turn of hackle in front of the last turn of the first feather; tie off as before; clip.
Thread should be at the back of the eye; whip finish with 5-6 turns of thread toward the hackle; clip thread.
Tie more.
Attached File  SingleHen.jpg   83.83K   51 downloads Attached File  Pair.jpg   63.72K   38 downloads

These days I tie one at a time. In the 80's, I tied about 10 dozen of these every day.

Hope this is useful.

Let's see the Quill Gordons, and keep this going.

Hope you're all well
dd
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#2 feathers5

feathers5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:22 PM

Very nice Dale, and great proportions. I guess you once tied for a shop. I really enjoy traditional ties but about 1/3 of mine aren't proportioned correctly and they float in peculiar ways.

#3 JoshP

JoshP

Bluefield, WV

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:31 PM

Thanks for that Dale! Well done tutorial.

I've had problems in the past with the body and just recently had an epiphany dealing with what you stated in your "key to dubbing".

No tying the Quill tonight. Amanda has been sick and went to Dr. after work. Positive for mono. I'll be wifey sitting.

#4 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:37 PM

Dale my friend,we really need to talk. Love the proportions and colors of this fly and the sbs. Funny,I do mine copleately different

#5 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:38 PM

Thanks you guys. After I opened my first shop and started teaching tying classes it dawned on me that it was just easy to rue a good fly as it was a poor one. So that's how I tried to teach it. This little post explains the proportions, which do work. The previous pale Olive talked about measuring hackle length relative to tail length so the fly sits well on the water.

But there's another couple if considerations. First trout aren't as smart as we make them out- who wants to be outsmarted by a critter with s brain smaller than our thumbnail; and second upwards of 95% of emerging insects probably die in the process do the fish see all sorts of variables when they eat, including ours. If it floats and U.S. about the right size I'm pretty sure they'll take it. Haha.

Don't spread that around though. We need it to be hard because it is hard. Hmm.

Hope your bride heals Josh.

#6 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:39 PM

Stephen
Yours are probably better too. Funny how a trout will take a fly tied differently. Haha. I laugh often on a trout stream.

#7 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:44 PM

Well said. I tie mine alot like Davie McPhail and use the thread and hook for measure. Thank God the trout have a teeny weeny brain cause these old eyes arent what they used to be. Quill Gordon not quite done as I am trying to finish a Butcher( insert mad face). 

#8 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:52 PM

With hen or wood duck wings in the Butcher.

Haha. Look forward to both Stephen.

#9 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:53 AM

Dale, I have seen salmon caught on a mostly bare hook so whoever came up with these fancy flies 100yrs ago should be beat with a rubber hose.lol. Mallard wings would have been a lot easier me thinks. There is a pile of stuff on a Butcher

Stephen

#10 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:58 AM

And tying them is fun and frustrating. Like fishing. What more do we want?

Okay we'd like to Geert to behave a little better, use beer bottles for recycling rather than as weapons of bird destruction. But that's asking too much. I'm an idealist but have my limits.

Haha Geertie.

#11 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:18 AM

Dear DALE,

BO BO BO BO BO BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

tres tres tres tres tres tres BEAU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for showing HERE this 'GREAT' ...SBS  of tying a "LIGHT OLIVE DUN" !!!

I like YOU 'Darling' hahahahaa...I realy do !!!

psttttttttttttttt I feel a bit rusty for the moment ...I realy need some 'spring practise'.......let say that first I need to come to my 'usual' SPEED again (yes it's one of the KEY factors using and throwing beerbottles...the second key is ofcourse the technique and hitting the 'bull'  (read the choosen target=bird or duck or heron)...

Enough burbling for today !!!

Au revoir !!!

Geert BBBB

Attached Files

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#12 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:19 AM

Geert!!!!

What a beauty our dear girl is. Bravo!!! Does your jaw ache from smiling so much when she is near??

You must begin spring training soon Mon Ami. We cannot have you dislocating a weak shoulder when migrating it's are passing through. Of no! It just wouldn't do to have yiur right arm in a cast when it was feather harvest time.

A hug each for Josephine! Lore! Nathalie!!!

And for you a stict regiment of right arm exercises. I'm sure you can find a few full beer bottles to empty Geertie.

I'm glad you like my little fly. Haha.

#13 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:39 PM

Thanks Dale !!! I'll try to give this a go and post. When tying dun tips on my flies I have found that the wings kind of disappear in the jungle of hackle. Will give it a go. Thanks for posting the nice SBS.

#14 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:53 PM

You're welcome. Have fun!

Dale