6 replies to this topic

#1 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:15 PM

Saw this pattern somewhere and apparently it came out of Bergman. I have no name for it but I liked the colors. I think I will tie one with a cream body,would work for a coffin fly immitation me thinks.

I mentioned to Dale about a little story. The other night I recieved a message from someone I have never met. We got to talking about trout flies and fishing in general and he was telling me about fishing around his home river and running into a young man who was about 14 or so. He was trying to flyfish with an old spinning rod with just a piece of fishing line attached. Kris( I know his name but we have never met personally) let him try out his flyrod and the young man was quite excited. Kris told me he went to the walmart a couple days later and bought a Fenwick outfit and delivered it to the young fella the next day. Every year since ( He told me this fella is now 16) he picks him up a couple doz trout flies, needless to say they have become good friends. I got to wondering how many people would have bothered or cared enough to help someone out so I am in the middle of tying a doz trout flies for this young man and a few for Kris, just to say thanks for caring just a little.

Anyways here are a couple of the trout flies,will get more pics when I get them done

DSCN0617_zpsfhrylufu.jpg

Also a couple for Kris, will send a few bombers also

DSCN0619_zpskd5j6iss.jpg

Thanks for listening, Tried not to bore anyone to death

Stephen

#2 JoshP

JoshP

Bluefield, WV

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:33 PM

All are lovely flies, Stephen.

The story is nice as I was introduced to fly fishing in a similar way at 14 years old. However, my girlfriend at the time got mad about something and broke my fly rod. Didn't pick it up again till I was 23. Tell your friend to relay that story to the young man. Never let an angry girlfriend near your fly rod..

#3 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:55 PM

I will be sure to relay that Josh, thats a hoot. I was about that age when I broke my first rod on a 16lb salmon. It was worth every minute

Stephen

#4 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:57 PM

Thanks Stephen,

Lovely flies; I like all if them. The duo of dark muskrat,is it teal wing? and dark tail and hackle looks really good.
When I first started tying I tied a few black quills; at least i think they were called. Since I had them, I fished them, and trout ate them.
When I reported it in a fly shop, a know it all sort of fellow was there, and kept questioning me,
said there weren't any insects like that around; blah, blah, blah. But they worked.

Great story. Hi to Kris - it is always a good idea to help young or old on a trout stream. Something I've done for many years.
Now, I'm without a trout stream. Oh well.

The pair of wets are so good. Thanks.

Dale
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#5 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:10 AM

Thanks

Dale, tail is black hackle , body is dark dubbing , wing is teal and hackle is black and grizzly. Whoever posted it claimed it came from Begman but I dont have the book so not sure of the name, assume it started out as a wet. I think with a lighter body it would work awesome as a coffin fly imitation. Lots of people claim lots of stuff but the fish know what they like.lol

If you happen to venture up this way I think we could find you a trout stream

Stephen

#6 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:56 AM

Thanks. I'm not sure I'll have much venturing. But we'll see.

Keep tying.
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#7 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 07:39 AM

Dear STEPHEN,

JUST 'terrific' DRY flies...just 'terrific' salmon flies...

JUST soooooooooooooo wonderful flies....hahahahaha

Geert

PS...thanks for the 'info' in Your post/thread

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013