5 replies to this topic

#1 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:29 PM

Hi everyone, tied this for Dale from memory. I think this is how I used to use this fly along with a brown body and an orange bodied one.

DSCN0522_zpsp6tgbeto.jpg

While I was at it I tied these for a salmon trip in August. Tied on a #8 something

Thanks for looking, Stephen

DSCN0517_zpsuwuutxdy.jpg

#2 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:53 PM

Hi Stephen

These look great. I love a White Wulff. Used to have a perfect white badger, silver badger I guess, that was sort of cochebondu esqu with black tips, too. Alas gone with the rest.
The sofa pillows from the rocky mountain west were hackled much heavier. Yours is lovely.
Yesterday I was talking with a friend who now lives near the rogue river in Oregon. He was talking about hooking huge rainbows on a sofa pillow. Cool beans huh?
Good fishing to you.
Thanks.Dale
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#3 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 11:53 PM

Thanks Dale, good white Badger is really hard to find around here. Every once in a while I find a feather with the black tips. Like finding gold. I never found the need to Hackle the stonefly very heavy. They seem to float fairly low in the water and the St.John river rainbows seemed to like them. Good fishing to you also

#4 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:31 PM

Thanks Stephen.
Some of the various badger feathers really are fabulous, with specks, fun backs, various shades of ginger dark and light. Man do they tie beautiful quill Gordon's and other dries; very special with barred lemon wood duck wings.
It's the provincial variation of flies that are interesting. Many, like your sofa pillow, have to do with how the fly actually fished, which is sort of the point anyway. Do you find yourself tying various styles based on season, or a particular stretch of water that you'll fish?
Stoneflies ususlly emerge in the Rockies when the water is roaring with runoff. It might be near impossible to put too much dark brown hackle in the collar!! Haha.
Hope you're well today.
Dale

#5 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:16 PM

Dale, I find not so much different styles of flies but different sizes. I do get lazy sometimes and instead of putting wooduck on a quill gordon I will stick a pair of quills on instead. Fish dont seem to mind. The stoneflies here usually come off late May through June, yellow ones anyway. The best fishing I had was 2yrs ago with a wicked amount of coffin flies. Mushed a small white wulff flat and caught Brookies all week. Some were pushing 20in. I think I caught around 20 that week and all but 4 were safely released.

Stephen

#6 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:09 PM

Sounds great. Sure hope you hit a good hatch soon that brings fish to the surface. No 20 inch Brookies for me! If I hoojed a 15" I'd call it Mr. Brook Trout, Sir. Haha.
No insects emerging yesterday. But I still coaxed a lovely 16" cutt to a big tan ant. Sipped it right down like the fly was to order. Ha.
Fish soon and often. And keep tying these beautiful dries.
Dale