• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TIER

TIER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:14 PM

I am new to the whole artistic fly thing. I was wondering if you could show me your flies, and how to tie them. I already do dry flies, some nymphs, a few streamers, and a lot of saltwater. Thanks in advance!

Signed, 

James (TIER) Fox

Fishen' for grayling is legit

#2 alchemist

alchemist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:55 PM

Where do you live?  Finding someone nearby that you could learn from Hands on would be important.

#3 TIER

TIER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:56 PM

I live in Delta junction, Alaska.

#4 mfhughesjr

mfhughesjr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:15 PM

James,

Nothing beats having someone show you in person. When I started tying in rural SC in the late 80s and early 90s, it was teach yourself and it was frustrating. I found a mentor who tied streamers, and after some searching, the Salmon Flyer. Both helped a great deal, but I wish the forum had been around then.

To your question, there are many pictures in the threads -- classics and artistics.  There are good members here, ready to mentor and provide advice, and there is the tutorials forum. It has three or four excellent full step-by-steps, as well as "sectionals" -- tying tips and tags, tying underbodies, mounting wings, etc.

Are you interested in tying the classics, or do you want to tie artistic, freestyle flies? Depending upon your level, I'd start with classic flies that are at your skill level, or ones that just push a little, and go from there. If you're going to be tying for the desk or the wall, it's going to take patience and control -- of thread, floss, feathers, dubbing, etc. Technique and repetition are important.

If you've looked around, which flies have you seen that you want to learn to tie? Have you looked at different flies by different members? Did you like one more than another? Tiers have individual styles, and the tying styles change over time. When I started, long tags were the order of the day.

Hope there's some value in these questions, and that we of the forum can help you.

Michael

#5 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:32 AM

In the internet age, you are very fortunate to be able to view all manner of instructional videos that weren't even a dream when I was trying to learn to tie flies at age 11, 1958! Search out Davie McPhail's.  Search out Ryan Houston's.  There are many others on Youtube!

But, if you wish to go "old school", buy Mike Radencich's first book.  Then buy Kelson's.  Then buy Hale's.

You will find that getting the materials to tie a range of feather wing salmon flies is quite costly.  I calculated once that even a very basic investment to obtain materials would be around $1200.  To avoid this "entry fee", your best bet is to find a mentor close by that has the collection of materials.  Or, arrange to purchase just the materials to tie a particular fly.

Darwin award winner of flytying

#6 mfhughesjr

mfhughesjr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:55 PM

Have pm'ed him and am going to be dispatching some basic materials through the post.

Michael

#7 TIER

TIER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:01 PM

Thank you, again! You are very generous.

#8 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 07:06 PM

Tier...PM being sent along from me as well 

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#9 Alex Hayes

Alex Hayes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:21 AM

Enjoy the learning experience! I'm sure having a hands-on mentor is a great asset, but I personally learned to tie these flies through this forum. It can be tricky, but can be done. Like others said, start with some flies at your skill level. You can start with hair wing flies and focus on learning floss and tinsel body work, ramp up to some more difficult version and so on. You can tie those flies with less expensive and easier to find materials like eyed salmon hooks, squirrel tail, rayon floss etc. It's also less painful that way when you make mistakes. Slowly build, but challenge yourself. There should still be a lot of great beginner information here and there are very generous folks as you have already experienced. If you want to PM me your address, I can probably help with a few decent beginner hooks and maybe some other odds and ends. Have fun!

"There is no must in art because art is free"

-Wassily Kandinsky