• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Zaic Freeman

Zaic Freeman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 01:41 AM

Most of you probably know the website but I only found it a couple days ago. Fantastic!! Good on ya Stuart for your time/money/effort.

What I found interesting about all those pics is the vast amount of dyed materials not found in the patterns. So many turkey/peacock that was dyed. Badger type hackles dyed in vast arrays of bright colors. Makes me wonder if he fished variations of the patterns in his book rather than the so called standards.

Would like to converse about the whole inky boy ordeal with anybody willing. My read on it is far different than anything google fed me. Although the book referenced on this site contains a valid opinion about the ordeal I do not think it is accurate in the big picture.

#2 arkle

arkle

arkle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:44 AM

Zaic,  if you're on facebook it's not going to be a problem getting hold/sorry in contact with Stuart as he has several pages on there.

#3 Zaic Freeman

Zaic Freeman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 09:02 AM

Thankyou Arkle.

#4 mfhughesjr

mfhughesjr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 02:32 AM

Zaic,

Returning after quite a few years away and saw your thread.  Stuart is on Facebook and should be reachable, as Arkle suggests.  His Kelson Collection site is both good visual and historic documentation of the collection, and the notes page has some patterns which are not in The Salmon Fly or Tips.

As Stuart notes, Kelson was a character who lived large and enjoyed salmon fishing and fly dressing.  There is still much material in his writings to be looked at by us, more than a century later.  There are a handful of dressings which were published in other sources, and there are discrepancies in some of the dressings that were published in different sources.

The Inky Boy debacle was but one of several disputes which played out in The Fishing Gazette, Land and Water, and private correspondence.  Speaking of the vast amounts of dyed materials, have you heard of the standard colours?  Prior to 1883, Kelson wanted a standard set of colours for dressing flies, so that when referenced by pattern or colour, any houses or dressers could provide flies that were "true to colour."  Despite his drawn-out promises, he was never able to fully develop them and drive them through the industry.  He feuded with James Noble, junior, who provided dyed seal's fur at Kelson's request for the 1883 Exhibition.  He feuded with another dye house to whom he had gone to produce the colours for display at the Fly Fisher's Club.  He exchanged barbs with R. B. Marston regarding the colours through and after 1896, the year of publication of The Salmon Fly.  He bemoaned not having the colours, and lamented that he had wanted them before the colour plates were published in Land and Water, following the fly descriptions that were published in the Fishing Gazette and Land and Water.  The colours in the Collection are likely the closest that we will get.  (Fast forward to the 1980s, and there was a revived effort to establish the colours, which again did not succeed.)

Our art has an interesting history, of which Kelson is only one character.  Always glad to discuss what I've researched with others.

Mike 

#5 Marc LeBlanc

Marc LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:00 PM

Great response Mike! Thanks!

Marc

#6 StuartHardyBpc

StuartHardyBpc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 10:51 AM

..For those interested...the Website has been further enhanced with an array of additional non-Kelson collections for your reference and enjoyment...and there are more to come.   https://www.kelsoncollection.com/books

Stuart

#7 Marc LeBlanc

Marc LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:40 PM

Thanks for the hard work, time and money you put into this Stu!

Marc