10 replies to this topic

#1 eide

eide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:35 AM

Most of my classics are tied for fishing, so I thought I'd post some pics from a trip this weekend. 

IMG_5194-1024x768.jpg

Started out the morning at around 5am with a Black Doctor - 

IMG_5200-e1500291029848-768x1024.jpg

IMG_5207-e1500291072923-768x1024.jpg

Then a Blue Doctor then a couple of shrimp and local patterns, but it wasn't until I put on a Mar-Lodge that the salmon hit (and we'd been over that stretch 5 of us for 4 hours, with no-one catching anything!)

IMG_5204-e1500291112720-768x1024.jpg

The aftermath of a 4-5kg atlantic salmon that got to swim further upstream smile.png It was the only catch of the day, but a great day on the river!

#2 Barkworth

Barkworth

____ Robert Verkerk ____ ClassicFlyTying.net

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:17 PM

This is great. My days are exactly the same. This clasic, that classic. I love lt.

Most people fish with hair wings, but I really believe that faster currents need stiffer stuff to properly present a colour profile. After all, you know what happens to a poodle in the shower.

Rv-

www.ClassicFlyTying.net

the reference guide for traditional salmon fly tying...

#3 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just Livin' The Dream

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:31 PM

When I began fishing for Atlantic Salmon some 40+ years ago (1974) I'd go straight to my hairwings. About 5 years into my long love affair with this fish and the flies we tie for them I was on the Tobique River in New Brunswick. My late friend Leon and I started our week by fishing for a couple of hours with no luck in the Little Nictau Pool using the usual size 2, 4 or 6 in the usual patterns. I said what the heck I'll try that 1/0 Durham Ranger I tied to give them something different. Just 3 casts later a fresh 19 pound fish was on the line, successfully landed and released to spawn and hopefully fight another day.

On that trip every fish I took was on a classic. Leon stuck with his hairwings and never rose a fish. He said the fly cannot make the difference...but the proof was in the results. I still fish my hairwings, but never hesitate to put one of those classic beauties to work...quite often with positive results.

Love those pictures eide!!

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#4 sflytier

sflytier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:42 PM

A Beautiful read! Gives stronger faith in dressing and fishing Classics along with the reason for getting "Farlowe"' s book. Now into Veverka and Shewey finishing up series of Robert's Steelhead Dogs.

#5 Ronn Lucas

Ronn Lucas

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,792 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:55 PM

Excellent stuff guys!

Happy Trails!
Ronn

My Website
http://www.ronnlucassr.com/
APPLE FRITTER BANDIT

#6 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,402 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:21 PM

Eide!

Great. Thank you got the report and lovely pictures.

When will you fish next?
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#7 eide

eide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:10 AM

Great to hear more people fishing the classics! And yes: material choice here is important if you start looking at the current and where you are fishing ;)

Dale: trout for me now, but back to salmon again in august/early september.

#8 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,402 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:29 PM

Thanks Eide. Have fun!

#9 scruffy_fish

scruffy_fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:48 PM

On my first trip to the Grand Cascapedia last fall, I was given a book about the rivers history by my old friend and host. After reading this book the number one fly for catching more fish over 40 pounds was the Lady Amherst.. When I first entered the water on the first day, I deliberated on what fly to fish. Then hands down my choice was the Lady Amherst.. I made my way through the pool and about my sixth cast I became tight to a 15 lb male salmon. My host hadn't even begun to fish. Long story short, I fish classics more now then ever before!

#10 Russ d

Russ d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:49 PM

Great thread guys. I've been fishing stingers on skagit setup this spring and have done OK BUT it's got me thinking on fishing more classics, which I would love to do. Mmmmm interesting, can anyone give some pointers on what sizes they fish and what patterns have been consistent. Great thread, exactly what this forum is about, thanks to everyone. Got me buzzing this has. Cheers, Russ

#11 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,402 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:42 PM

It seems like size has to do with water conditions and fish. Might help if folks knew where you fish. Good question.