36 replies to this topic

#21 Bud Guidry

Bud Guidry

Ragin Cajun

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,405 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:37 PM

yes frank, post to tutorial page so we can keep all important learning info together on one page

RAmidbuck.GIF
MY FLY PATTERN DATABASE

FOUNDER AND PRESIDENT OF THE OFFICIAL CLASSICS PAGE SLACKERS CLUB
HONORARY WINNER OF THE 2011 BIGGEST SLACKER AWARD

http://flyfishline.com/art_gallery2.php

My mind belongs to this forum
My heart belongs to my family
My soul belongs to my flies

#22 Jim_Montgomery

Jim_Montgomery

Vero Beach, FL USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:34 AM

First let me intoduce myself.

Nice site you all have here. Nice .... Really nice.

Been tying nye on 10 years now mostly rigging chickens with a lot of sparkle. Caught quite a few reds, snook, tarpon, a sailfish or a hundred but never was satisfied with the asthetic side of twisting thread.

Started pursuing the art of tying about 6 months ago and got hooked, oh jeez a pun. The pursuit has been a challange but fun none the less.

Looking forward to enjoying some good company and the knowledge that goes along with it.

If the mentoring program is still ongoing I would love the opportunity to learn. I will attach a couple of pictures to show where I am at.

Attached File  CS_StyleStreamer_SM.jpg   75.05K   115 downloads
Attached File  Jock_Scott_Spey_SM.jpg   163.59K   124 downloads

I am currently working on the "step by step tutorial" fly by Jeff Dickey.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

Phlies and Photos
The Ninja Fly Tier

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley. ~Author Unknown

#23 Bud Guidry

Bud Guidry

Ragin Cajun

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,405 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:27 AM

welcome jim, what type of fly exactly are you wanting to learn, or possibly some applications?

this would help in determining who can help you the best

RAmidbuck.GIF
MY FLY PATTERN DATABASE

FOUNDER AND PRESIDENT OF THE OFFICIAL CLASSICS PAGE SLACKERS CLUB
HONORARY WINNER OF THE 2011 BIGGEST SLACKER AWARD

http://flyfishline.com/art_gallery2.php

My mind belongs to this forum
My heart belongs to my family
My soul belongs to my flies

#24 Jim_Montgomery

Jim_Montgomery

Vero Beach, FL USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

Bud

I would like to develop the skills to tie classics if possible but I am open to starting where it makes the most sense. I now see that attention needs to be at the detail (magnified) level. I have been working on bodies for the past couple of days following Ryan's tutorial.

I would like to think of this as singing. You first have to learn the words. Then have the confidence to belt out the song in the shower. Figure out if can carry a tune. Practice, Practice, Practice. Karioke (sp) a few times. Climb out on stage. Right now I don't even now where the sheet music is.

Thanks

Jim

Phlies and Photos
The Ninja Fly Tier

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley. ~Author Unknown

#25 bobfly

bobfly

Bob Frandsen. East Gippsland. Victoria. Australia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:01 PM

Jim Have a look at the other post and check out the different ones who have their names up to assist newbies like yourself.If you have any preferences let me or Mike know and we`ll see how they are standing .Also if you are happy to hook up with any of those we can see who is available for you. Come back to us here or PM
Cheers Bob

#26 grizzlybear

grizzlybear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

I would like to participate in the program as well. I' having trouble with mounting my married wings. And a few other things. Thank you.

Best Regards, Ken
“A flair in a particular field gives one satisfaction and pride and helps a person to grow in stature”

#27 kgm

kgm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

I'd be interested in participating. My interests being the classics for fishing and for show.

I'm happy reading and learning on my own but would like someone to turn to for advice and guidance. The more suitable mentors, for myself, from the list would appear to be Ryan Houston or Mike Townend.

Time may be an issue as I have a young family, so I would like to know how much time each week/month is expected, last thing I want to do is mess anyone around, thanks.

"Is ann an ceann bliadhna a dh’innseas iasgair a thuiteamas."
Kenny MacIver, Kilkenny, Ireland but a Leodhasach forever

#28 bobfly

bobfly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

Unfortunately we have lost Ryan from the mentor list.  He just doesn`t have the time to manage all he has on his plate at present .

#29 Yaz

Yaz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

Fellow tyers--

I've just joined the list, having been active on the bamboo rodmakers listserv for the last nine years, and having tied since 1960.  I have made the rare foray or three into Salmon flies, but even a quick look at the patterns produced by participants here shows me the scale of the progress I'll need to make.  I've appreciated--and applied--the terrific mentoring and generosity of spirit available from fellow rodmakers, and you all appear to be be equally helpful.  I expect to be submitting terrible examples of clasic patterns in the hopes of learning to do it better.  For the moment, however, if you all could indicate some material sources who are solid and helpful, that will help a lot.  In every pursuit, there are solid people, and some who are less so.  I'd just like to benefit from your experience, if I might.  I'm good for tools--and then some.  Currently good for bronze mallard, teal, the remnants of my jungle cock neck (bought in 1964), goose shoulder, wood duck, white-tipped turkey tail, fine and medium oval silver tinsel, medium flat silver (all metal),peacock wing quills, a couple of colors of Japanese embroidery silk, and so forth.  No blind hooks or gut, yet.

Thanks, All, and Happy Thanksgiving.

Yaz

Eden Prairie, MN

Ex-Sullivan County, NY

#30 Yaz

Yaz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:53 PM

P.S.  And, yes--you bet!--I'd love to be mentored, since I didn't say that specifically.  How do I get started?

Thanks, All!

Yaz

#31 bobfly

bobfly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:06 PM

P.S.  And, yes--you bet!--I'd love to be mentored, since I didn't say that specifically.  How do I get started?

Thanks, All!

Yaz

Yaz .  Sorry being a bit slack getting back to you.  I take it you need to learn the basics,just give me a few days to sort someone out for you

Materials http://feathersmc.com/

http://www.aaronmostojfeathers.com/   either way, they are both great.

PS Wouldn`t hurt to know your name

Cheers Bob

#32 mzilliox

mzilliox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:58 PM

Hello all,

I have been dabbling with steelhead flies for a year now.  Started with dees and now have been tying mainly freestyle married and built wing patterns.

I am looking for a Mentor in Southern Oregon (I'm in Grants Pass), preferably to meet in person on occasion. I want to learn the classics better.  I am especially interested in mixed and built wings.

I have issues with certain techniques in the classics.  I could use advice on tails, toppings, tippet underwings, silk work, horns, mallard roofs, and really just everything.  I'm self taught and learning potentially bad habits.

Tiers I look up to are guys like Jin Woo Lee, Dave Gotz, Timo Kontio, Dave Carne, Joonas and some of the others who tie practical yet artistic freestyle flies.  I'm missing so many of you who's flies i admire.

Whats the next step?  what info do you need from me?

All the best

Matt Zilliox

#33 JasonE

JasonE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:07 PM

#34 Montanabound1

Montanabound1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:58 AM

I am very interested in learning this fine art and have been hoping to find someone in the Cincinnati Ohio area to help me on this long and exciting journey! Anyone willing to help would be awesome. Thanks. Josh

#35 Bazzer69

Bazzer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:48 PM

I would gladly accept mentoring in the Redding area Northern California.  As a semi retired guide I would gladly exchange tuition, where I need it, for some fishing on the Lower Sac

Barry

#36 Troutmaddave

Troutmaddave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:02 AM

Hi I'm new here. Posted a couple of flies so far. Would someone like to take me on? How does this work, do I have to be next to them in person? I need help with the basics I think
All the best
Dave

#37 [email protected]

[email protected]

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:52 AM

Hi guys. I trust you are all well. I'm very new to tying classics and I would be very interested if the mentor program is still going. I'll appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks guys Regards Arno