7 replies to this topic

#1 silverytay

silverytay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:36 PM

Second go at this fly on a 5/0 ,wing was sitting better until i tied on more afterwards, struggling with veilings too ,thanks for looking Sean 😎😎

Attached Files

#2 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 02:54 PM

In profile, the wing looks fine.  What do you feel are its issues?  If you feel it has moved, the likely solution is to move it back and lash it down more tightly.  Or put a spot of adhesive on the tie down.

Don't mind the struggle with sides.  It becomes much easier with practice.  

Darwin award winner of flytying

#3 silverytay

silverytay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:16 PM

In profile, the wing looks fine.  What do you feel are its issues?  If you feel it has moved, the likely solution is to move it back and lash it down more tightly.  Or put a spot of adhesive on the tie down.

Don't mind the struggle with sides.  It becomes much easier with practice.  

Just felt the wing ended up crimped at the head i must have went back over the wing at the tie in point later in the tying.think it's way too short as well maybe?Anyhoo gonna have another go at it over the weekend see how it goes jgogg cheers for comments Sean

#4 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:10 PM

Not sure how "crimped" differs from "collapsed".  It is always desired to get a perfect "venetian blind" collapse so that  every barb sits on top of the one below it.  That does not always happen, however.  And it's worse with some barbs than others.   My own opinion is that if they stack well enough so that the slippage is not apparent  past the sides and cheeks, you are good.  And sometimes, after enough attempts to get them to stack perfectly and I am about to need to make  new wings in a place where there will be no covering feathers for the tie down, I will accept the stack I get.  In fact, it happens that the pattern you get from a slipped stack looks as well or better than a perfect stack. 

While the wing length is a bit less than typical, I think it is within the realm of acceptable.  I built a whole group of flies like yours to try and get over the inclination to make them too long.  Plus, there is a good argument to be made for fishing flies this length so you do not encourage short strikes.

Darwin award winner of flytying

#5 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 01:33 PM

Sean,

The tyer is allways in command ...but this doesn't say and means ...HE 'wins' on everything !!!

ah I am looking to a nicely TIE and FLY !!!

CONTINUE please !

Geert

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#6 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 01:36 PM

Sean,

Perhaps a 'tinny' bit longer bodyhackle and also throathhackle would had still 'enhanced' that ultimate or at least (methink) a better look... IN THE END !!

geert

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#7 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:21 PM

the fly seems to be smallish on that iron.  Did you purposely make the tail that length?  if so the wing is fine.  

a 5/0 is a huge hook and the components on this fly just look smallish.  Geert points to the lady hackle and the throat .

A suggestion, many Tyers draw a picture/diagram of a pattern they wish to tie to estimate the final proportions and placement of the materials available to them. have you tried this method?

#8 silverytay

silverytay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:15 PM

Thanks Geert, still finding my feet with these beasts 🤣Ted i thot the tail was fine until i got to the wings then it was to late to go back im afraid , these were the only blind eye hooks i ciuld get my hands on so il just try make the fly fill the hook.cheers for comments folks Sean 🥃🥃