11 replies to this topic

#1 dgotz

dgotz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:56 PM

The pic was taken in direct late afternoon sun light.  It has a few subtle features that challenged me.  My self critique.......

I'm pleased with the flow and the colors which are similar to a Gray Ghost.  Likewise, the use of blue in the dressing (two turns of Bailey's pig wool in the body and blue dyed squirrel tail as an underwing).  I like the elongated shape of JC nail. I'm happy with the tinsel work and the gentle body taper.

On the other hand, the side lighting is a great revealer.  Looking at the 'shine line' of the flosswork; it shows all the imperfections.  I can do better than that.  The lighting turned the yellow toucan subs ( used as the chest veilings ) into a gold color.  The shape and size of the head is inconsistent with everything behind it.

All in all, she's a good looking fly that should produce on the river.  I'd welcome any comments

gotz

Attached Files

#2 Troutmaddave

Troutmaddave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:29 PM

Wow, that's really sweet. I would be proud of floss work like that. The grey heron ins the orange body are a match made in heaven! They make each other sing! As far as the bits to be improved, dammed if I can see them. I love the cut of your jib!!
Cheers
Dave

#3 Probie

Probie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:46 PM

Nice use of burnt goose

#4 Ronn Lucas

Ronn Lucas

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,301 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:22 PM

Sweet!!!

Happy Trails!
Ronn

My Website
http://www.ronnlucassr.com/
APPLE FRITTER BANDIT

#5 Luc

Luc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:30 PM

Gotz, your fine tying skills show throughout this fly!!! I think your floss work is top notch and something I can aspire to achieve. This fly will swing! Luc

#6 flyryan

flyryan

Ryan Houston

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,477 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:25 AM

lovely fly  fishing is different depending on where you come from and so are the flies i think those of us who come to classic fly tying through fishing are predisposed to question would i fish that or would that work for me I have to admit that the colour schemes on your flies often do not resonate in that way with me while i am sure they do with you and your fishing and while i appreciate the skill and thought that went into producing them they do not generally have that link to fishing in my mind in my fishing environment and so i appreciate them from an artistic point rather than a functional fishing one

this one is different I get this one it has your shapes and lines body segments and veilings style and function both considered as per usual but the colour scheme on this one is far more over here than over there if that makes sense

Ryan

Ryan Houston

to see the rest of the flies i have tied just visit  facebook page and browse my photos or galleries

https://www.facebook.com/Classic-FLIES-A-Z-766762363375794/

https://youtu.be/g8qFgPJD00c

https://www.facebook.com/RyanHoustonSalmonTroutAndPikeFlies?ref=hl

#7 dgotz

dgotz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:26 AM

Thank you gentlemen.  And Ryan, I sincerely appreciate that you took the time to express your impressions. I share the same observations. Politicians state " All politics is local".  So is fishing and flytying

gotz

#8 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:41 PM

Fine piece of work gotz. No worries on the "imperfections". I've never seen a fly that was perfect...but this one is pretty damned close.

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#9 goran73

goran73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:32 PM

i think the body work look very nice and the veiling is a good accent to to that body, the thing that i think is a tad off is that the hackle and the dubbing should have started one turn earlier.

all in all a very nice fly.

Göran

#10 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:56 AM

I like the veiling peeking out, the hackle and wing are outstanding.

#11 dgotz

dgotz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:03 PM

i think the body work look very nice and the veiling is a good accent to to that body, the thing that i think is a tad off is that the hackle and the dubbing should have started one turn earlier.

all in all a very nice fly.

Göran

I agree, Goran.  Thank you

#12 Kåre B.

Kåre B.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:48 PM

Simple and BEAUTIFUL

KB