13 replies to this topic

#1 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:05 PM

Have a lot less trouble tying these than I do a classic pattern. Some deer hair flies that are pretty popular here in NB.

Thanks for looking,  Stephen

DSCN0424_zpssuaa5jii.jpg

DSCN0422_zpsv1ko0uzp.jpg

DSCN0428_zpswpyfejzq.jpg

#2 PoppyT

PoppyT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:02 AM

Nice looking flies!

That looks like a hell of a lot of hair clipping!!

Cheers,

Dennis

Being crazy keeps me from going insane.

#3 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:13 PM

These look great - very well tied!

I like the two tone bodies. The bright green seems to go with the green machine - is that the name of the stonefly sort of pattern attributed to Lee Wulff? In certain areas it sure seems like color matters, but not always.

Thanks for these! Sure hope each one hooks a salmon this summer.

Dale

Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#4 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:43 PM

Thanks, a bug is usually tied smaller without the front wing and fished wet on a swing. These bushy buggers are fished upstream dry and sometimes twiched a little. The takes on these can be heart stopping at times. I will see if I have any pics of some bugs. Tied small they work very well for trout as well as salmon.

#5 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:06 PM

I saw some when I fishrd the Boneventure and Petitr Cascapedia. Cool fly, but wet as you said. The ones I saw had a bead post, hackle wound parachute style around it.
I caught three salmon on dries like yours that I tied before the trip. Not as pretty as yours. All three fish almost sipped the fly. Very cool we used 15 feet of 8 pound maxima. No drag. Loved it!

#6 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:49 AM

Ah yes, the Wulff stone fly. It is used here also although I have never tried it.Couple friends of mine have had good luck with it on the Upsaquitch. I personally like to fish the Wulff series of dries,mainly the White Wulff.

#7 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:37 PM

Dear STEPHEN,

This are ALL 'CRACKING' flies ...realy CLASS !!! my friend !!! 

ah as said I don't come in here 'much' (if at all - say sporadicly ! wink !!!)

Geert

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#8 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:39 PM

Stephen - one of the salmon I landed on the Bonaventure was on an Irresistible Wulff. size 4, I think. a great memory.

thanks.

#9 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:42 PM

Irresistible Wulff? would love to a pic of that

#10 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:16 AM

All lost in the flood. Moose tail. Clipped spun deer body. Calf tail wings. Adams hackle.
You'd tie a great one!

#11 arkle

arkle

arkle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:37 AM

Outstanding work, really outstanding, reminds me of seeing the late Warren Duncan tie them & believe me, that's "going some".

#12 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:49 PM

Thanks again for the comments. I dont think I could even come close to Warren. He was an amazing man

Thanks for the pattern Dale, will give it a go and send you a pic. What color were the wings?

#13 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:23 PM

Hi Stephen,

I used white calf tail; lots of it - similar to how you tied these wings, but I make equal numbers of wraps of hackle behind and in front of the wings. I am tempted to tie one for you.....would love to see what you tie, though.

I'll tell the story; hope you don't mind. You might know that I fish dry flies; one of the favorite things is picking pockets with an attractor - Wulff, Humpy, etc. We drove as far upstream one day on the Boneventure as we could, then rode an ATV for awhile to get to the beat. It was at the very upper reaches of where anglers could fish; upstream was always closed for spawning salmon, and I suppose brook trout, which were also there. You might know where that is. Anyway, the river was narrow above, came around a corner where it widened and was punctuated by huge boulders and other stones and rocks that slowed the water and created pockets. Below that was a huge hole with big tree carcasses that was full of salmon. Most were lying in the clear depth, doing fish stuff that did not include biting flies. It was hot and clear; the water was low and catching had been very tough the entire week. By then, I'd landed two good fish - one on a green bomber, the other on a natural tan deer hair bomber that I tied before we went on the trip. But I'd also tied a few of the Irresistible Wulffs, because they were cool flies that I liked. like I said, the catching was excruciatingly slow. What the heck; I decided to pick the pockets, just to see. It was great, casting the IW, covering water. And then, as te fly bobbed along, drifting a seam, a salmon tipped up, looked, turned, followed and went down. I stopped breathing, but it didn't help - it doesn't when permit follow the fly, either, for what that's worth. Well, on the ride to the river I'd asked the guide what he did when a fish looked but didn't eat. He answered immediately, saying that on the Boneventure, you had to count to 60, then make the same cast and drift; the fish would eat. As son as the fish turned down, I put my head down and started counting, holding the fly in my left hand with the same length of line out of the rod. On count 60, the fly hit the same spot ad started to drift. This time, when the fly got there, the fish again tipped up, looked, followed and then ate, just like a picky brown trout did on my home stream. I waited, set the hook and we had a good battle. It was in the neighborhood of a 18 pounder, according to the guide. As you can see, the memory was stored away in my memory bank, the place for these things, where it remains to be recalled and enjoyed as needed.

Which is precisely my wish for you and these beautiful flies.

All the best.

dd

#14 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:49 PM

Great story Dale, have had a few of those moments as well. I find these memories never fade away.Took my wife on her first salmon trip last summer and although she hooked no fish,she was hooked so to speak. I think she understands now what I have enjoyed for 40yrs. Will try a couple of these Dale and send you some pics