9 replies to this topic

#1 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 03:39 PM

A seasonal design, patterned after the Green Highlander.   Reinhold 7/0 hook.

Attached Files

Darwin award winner of flytying

#2 Troutmaddave

Troutmaddave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 12:20 AM

Very nice work Jim. I especially love the beautiful shape of that throat!! Impressive!

#3 Bud Guidry

Bud Guidry

Ragin Cajun

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,402 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 01:51 PM

Sweet

RAmidbuck.GIF
MY FLY PATTERN DATABASE

FOUNDER AND PRESIDENT OF THE OFFICIAL CLASSICS PAGE SLACKERS CLUB
HONORARY WINNER OF THE 2011 BIGGEST SLACKER AWARD

http://flyfishline.com/art_gallery2.php

My mind belongs to this forum
My heart belongs to my family
My soul belongs to my flies

#4 alchemist

alchemist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:35 PM

Beautifully proportioned fly!  I like the size and shape of the wing and how it mirrors the hook.  The head shape and size is also perfect!

#5 Herlhead

Herlhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 05:19 PM

This is by far the best place to show such excellent work 

#6 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 10:43 AM

Love the fly Jim. I must ask...what kind of fly tying vise?

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#7 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 02:22 PM

Love the fly Jim. I must ask...what kind of fly tying vise?

Hi George.   Thanks.  The vise is one of the new HMH rotary vises.  The jaws don't really hold 7/0 hooks well.  Not intended to, says the maker.  I have asked him, when he has a moment to spare, to make me jaws that will work better for bigger hooks.  For now, I mainly use it for taking pictures!  I tie at Stella's studio on my Coterelli T. Rex.  If I were going to tie at home in my shop where this is set up, I would probably unmount this and use one of my Renzettis...but this one is fine for preening for photography.  While the maker says with a straight face that he did not copy the LAW vise, that is hard to tell from a photo of just the jaws.  

#8 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 04:00 PM

Hi George.   Thanks.  The vise is one of the new HMH rotary vises.  The jaws don't really hold 7/0 hooks well.  Not intended to, says the maker.  I have asked him, when he has a moment to spare, to make me jaws that will work better for bigger hooks.  For now, I mainly use it for taking pictures!  I tie at Stella's studio on my Coterelli T. Rex.  If I were going to tie at home in my shop where this is set up, I would probably unmount this and use one of my Renzettis...but this one is fine for preening for photography.  While the maker says with a straight face that he did not copy the LAW vise, that is hard to tell from a photo of just the jaws.  

Hey Jim,
I just bought one of those vises one week ago...and as a result of my conversation with the HMH owner Jon Larrabee back in January the vise will now easily handle larger hooks. I currently have a 4/0 in the jaws and everything is just super and no issues of any kind. In my experiments after bringing the vise home I was actually able to hold both 7/0 & 9/0 hooks secure enough to tie on those hooks. Therefore my regular 3/0 & 4/0 hooks are a piece of cake...see the attached photos with a 3/0 hook in the vise.
I personally believe they took the LAW design and made it what that vise could have or should have been. I am absolutely thrilled with my new vise...period!!
Cheers,
George
Attached File  DSC_0003 (2).jpg   177.84K   7 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0009 (2).jpg   43.16K   12 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0012 (4).jpg   73.44K   7 downloads

Petri Heil,

George

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#9 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 09:55 PM

Thanks for that!  I bought mine earlier and when I spoke with John, he indicated it would be Spring before he could get on the project of making the jaws hold larger hooks.    I will contact him on Monday to arrange the purchase of the new jaws!

#10 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:35 AM

My pleasure Jim. Hope all works out with Jon and a new set of jaws.

Petri Heil,

George