• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 A-ZFlyguy2017

A-ZFlyguy2017

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:11 AM

Heres one that was interesting to make. Certainly didnt turn out perfect, but Ill certainly fish this fly. Though itll be a while before my budget will allow a trip for Salmon (the rate at which I buy materials doesnt help) I believe a steelhead may give this one a look.Attached File  F87449FE-770E-4758-8973-CE15DA455341.jpeg   119.7K   81 downloadsAttached File  1992F1D6-BEDB-4E4A-ADED-F03A7242EAD8.jpeg   112.55K   75 downloads

Seems like Im having difficulty displaying these photos without causing neck problems to viewers...perhaps theyre too large or because theyre from my phone? Any tips are appreciated
Also makes it seem like I dont know how to use an apostrophe
Shawn

#2 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

May the Force be with you...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:22 PM

Shawn,

I can't help with the photo/phone problem since I'm still a bit of a dinosaur...as in I still use a "dumb phone"...aka flip phone. After all it was originally intended to be just that...a phone. It lives and works in the car...never with me except when on vacation rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

Yes the pictures make it difficult to get a clear view of the fly...but from what I see the fly looks good!!! Interesting variation on an Akroyd. I like it.....

Finally...when I take photos of anything it is with a digital SLR camera. The camera's memory card is inserted into my computer...I download the photos, look at each carefully, delete the junk, begin enhancing and editing...then finally saving finished copies. The original is kept as is for future use. Hope this helps. Smart phones are great...but they do have their limitations.

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#3 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:37 PM

An uncluttered background would help. The way you take the ohiti, fly horizontal or vertical, is how it should post. If the phone photo software has an edit function, crop out stuff other than the fly. If like to see this fly. Our a drag background behind the fly, look through the lens, see if the fly is horizontal, take a new picture, crop and post. Hope that's helpful. Thanks for posting and participating.
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#4 sky-pilot

sky-pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,274 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:38 PM

Looks like a killerfly.
All the best

Kjell-Ove

http://www.ronnlucassr.com/karlsen.htm
winner of the 2012 sexiest fly tyer award

#5 Ronn Lucas

Ronn Lucas

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,983 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:52 PM

Loose the background. take your fly pics with the camera horizontal and fill as much of the viewfinder with the fly as much as possible. Or, use the "rotate" feature of whatever viewing program you're using. The fly looks good as is but would look much better with a simple more "neutral" colour background!

Happy Trails!
Ronn

My Website
http://www.ronnlucassr.com/
APPLE FRITTER BANDIT

#6 A-ZFlyguy2017

A-ZFlyguy2017

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:58 AM

All good tips folks, Ill change the background and perhaps attach them to a URL, photobucket or something.

#7 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:16 PM

Shawn it's pretty simple to load them straight from your file to here. Has that been an issue?
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#8 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

May the Force be with you...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:52 PM

Heres one that was interesting to make. Certainly didnt turn out perfect, but Ill certainly fish this fly. Though itll be a while before my budget will allow a trip for Salmon (the rate at which I buy materials doesnt help) I believe a steelhead may give this one a look.attachicon.gifF87449FE-770E-4758-8973-CE15DA455341.jpegattachicon.gif1992F1D6-BEDB-4E4A-ADED-F03A7242EAD8.jpeg

Seems like Im having difficulty displaying these photos without causing neck problems to viewers...perhaps theyre too large or because theyre from my phone? Any tips are appreciated
Also makes it seem like I dont know how to use an apostrophe
Shawn

Thought I'd give you a different perspective on this cool fly.....

Attached File  Funky Akroyd - 1A.jpeg   78.58K   12 downloadsAttached File  Funky Akroyd - 2A.jpeg   82.64K   14 downloads

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#9 dgotz

dgotz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:33 PM

Shawn:  I think the Akroyd is a superb design and your dressing exemplifies it very well.  Yep, less distractions in the photo background would allow your work to get the attention it deserves.  Thank you George

gotz