• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JerriB

JerriB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 08:33 PM

Okay, I'm gonna cheat a little with my wet fly wings. Has anyone tried using hackle tips for classic wet flies? I started doing this years ago because I had a lot of hen hackle necks in a rainbow of colors, but I didn't have a great selection of duck or goose quills, so I just tried these instead. And I liked them. They look good, they fish great and , where the wing would be the first part of the fly to fall apart, now it outlasts may of the other parts of the pattern. 

I figured if they are good for emergers, why not a standard wet. They are practical from a #10 down to a #16.

Attached Files

#2 JustWondering

JustWondering

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 02:01 AM

Looks good!  I'm sure they fish pretty well.  Like a mixed wing or bucktail.

#3 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 04:14 PM

hackle wings have been around a long time...they can be tied in back to back, front to front (splayed) or even flat.    

wet fly wings do not have to be paired wing/tail quills.  as brad said mixed fibers work as well.  a little of mallard, teal, guinea, turkey flats (feather dusters!).  if you have very big hackles with long flues then take some of those beautiful soft fibers from the bottom of bottom of the feather.  those long, flimsy turkey tail fibers that are no good for a married wings are great as soft wings 

there are no rules

#4 JerriB

JerriB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 05:01 PM

Ted, you said it. Every "new" idea" has probably been independently thought of from years back. I found  that mine wasn't an original concept when I got a copy of J. Edson Leaonard's "Flies" and it had that one illustration of about a dozen different wet-fly wing styles. 

#5 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 02:58 PM

exactly !!!!!    look at book plates and images from the 1800's but closely.   Many people assume but don't take the time to look for answers...  Leonards book is great isn't it!

#6 jbratt44

jbratt44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 11:59 PM

I do not have a copy of "flies" however like the examples you posted. Am going to give it a tryas I enjoy the challenges of tying including use of new techniques materials and designs. Would love to see other examples. Jim

#7 j8000

j8000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:37 PM

Flies is one of my favorite books for trying new styles and refreshing old one.  Next from his book I think I'm going to work on the hair bugs.

Jeff