• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Pamike

Pamike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:57 AM

This fly is amazingly beautiful and appealing to the eye! I myself am recreating it but I always like to know the originator.
http://www.rareandunusual.com/ninethree2.jpg

#2 arkle

arkle

arkle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:12 AM

Have you tried contacting Paul S. through facebook ?

#3 Pamike

Pamike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 11:57 AM

Lol who is Paul S?

#4 Charlie Vestal

Charlie Vestal

Lakewood, Colorado

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:09 PM

Rare and Unusual was the site from Paul Schmookler and Ingrid Sils.  This is the same streamer shown on pg. 368 in their book "Forgotten Flies", The Complete Sportsman, Millis, MA, 1999.  The pattern listing says the fly shown was tied by Marcelo Morales based on a private collection of Carrie Steven's flies.

Charlie

Chemical Engineering: Solving problems you didn't know you had, in ways you don't understand ......

#5 Pamike

Pamike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:24 PM

Thanks! I almost immediately thought Marcelo! The wing threw me off a bit. He usually stands his wing different. Thanks so much!

#6 Ephemerella

Ephemerella

Peter Simonson, Greenville, NH, USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 04:26 PM

The referenced fly was tied by Marcelo Morales. The 9-3 was originated by Hubert Sanborn, but this particular version is dressed in the manner of Carrie Stevens, who had also tied Sanborn's pattern, in her own inimitable style. It bears a strong resemblance to the Carrie Stevens rendition of the Nine-Three on the foldout preceding page 334 in Schmookler/Sils Forgotten Flies. The head of this fly is also featured in Hilyard's book Carrie Stevens in the figure on page 99, but is not described (same splits in the JC cheek). This fly seems to have the dark green wing of the 9-3, but in a vertical wing mounting like other Stevens streamers (the 9-3 by Hubert Sanborn had green feathers tied flat -- horizontally, with black feathers perpendicular). Also the throat is clearly a pale green or pale olive. The body of the pictured fly is not described in either book, but the head is clearly gold thread. The recipe in Forgotten Flies indicates only green hackles in the wing, although looking at the photo of the Stevens tie of this (foldout preceding p 334), there may be a pair of black hackles in the wing under the dark green - hard to tell.

It bears a strong resemblance to another Carrie Stevens fly in the collection of the Rangeley Outdoor Sporting Heritage Museum, in Oquossoc Maine, low-quality pictures attached. The splits in the JC appears different, so this is a different specimen than the one in the Schmookler/Sils and Hilyard book. That fly has a tag and ribbing of gold tinsel, body of gold thread (not floss), throat of gray, wing of dark green (this is an unusual color for Carrie Stevens streamers), cheek of Jungle cock, and head of gold with an orange band. I had the privilege of examining that streamer and it truly had a gray throat, no black wing feathers, and the body is clearly gold thread (color and diameter is similar to Pearsall's Gossamer gold silk).

Attached File  R-5.png   740.61K   43 downloadsAttached File  R-5as.png   659.89K   40 downloads

#7 bags6lax

bags6lax

Stow, MA USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:25 PM

I always tied the 9-3 with two flat black hackles, and four upright green ones...tandem trolling streamers. 

-Matt

#8 arkle

arkle

arkle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:37 AM

I may have mentioned this before, about P.S's series of books, That seemingly there are patterns within them, at least the 3 that I have, are not accurate to the original dressings.  This is noticeably true as far as the (few) patterns, from this side of the water are concerned with not one of them is correct.

#9 Ephemerella

Ephemerella

Peter Simonson, Greenville, NH, USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:09 PM

Matt, you may be right - I have seen Sanborn's Nine-Three tied both ways. I believe Bates described an interview with Sanborn where it was described as green flat with black above, mounted vertically.

#10 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 04:32 PM

There were other patterns tied in the "bi-plane" style but the 9-3 is arguably the most famous.  I've seen the 9-3 in both standard (?) and flat (bi-plane) but mostly flat....as described in Bates, Noll and Dick Stewart .

Arkle

All the flies in Ingrid and Paul's books were dressed as cleanly as possible and according to a certain syllabus which they gave out.  All we did was follow the recipes.   Personalities emerged and are cleanly seen by the different styles of dressings. I don't know which books the recipes came from.  Were there inaccuracies? Probably, considering the vastness of information.   

Origins of dressings is a subject that will cause fist fights!!!   So what is the original dressing of "jock Scott" ?   Who dressed it?"

DON'T EXPECT ME TO ANSWER THAT!!!!!!!!!!    blush.png

#11 Pamike

Pamike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:43 AM

Thanks so much all! I agree that the fly has both black and green hackle. Thats how Im going to tie mine anyway. I have found whatever info I could. Tyer and recipe. Supposedly this fly was named Nine Three Custom 2. Idk what its calld. I find it beautiful and Im going to duplicate it. So simple and pretty!!! Love it!