#1 Joe Raven

Joe Raven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:40 AM

Hello again my fellow flytyers,

Due to low activity in the dryfly section I decided to make another contribution. 

This is a pattern that was given to me by our great flytyer Hairwing, in a former thread about making Tup's Indispensable dubbing.

Thank you so much HW, I had a great time tying this fly! ...but I'm sorry that it took so long...

The dubbing here contains about 2/3 of the original materials that was used to make the famous Tup's dubbing, and I've used primrose floss instead of PG silk thread.

Attached File  20150113_164035.jpg   83.96K   120 downloads

Comments and critiques are always welcome, thanks.

-Joe

Stillwater runs deep  

#2 hairwing

hairwing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:43 PM

Joe..

Very well done dry fly! Nice proportions.

hw

#3 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:06 PM

Hi Joe,

Looks good. I used to love tying flies on that hook!

thanks for keeping this going. Hope a few others join the fray.

dd

Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#4 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:00 PM

Dear JOE,

As allready told and brought over .... I am not coming over 'a whole whole lot uphere'...(pstttttttttt if I should DO that...I would no longer find time to tie flies and fish).....................

but I am vivid DRY flyfisherman (even 'my enemy of the heart DD will ofcourse say and spread that I am not  one of that 'sort' hahahahahahaha

Ah I remember that input by 'friend' HW....a while ago in the 'Lodge'...I didn't reacted then toooooooooooooo (for the same reasons as mentioned above...but it was a very informatif and pleasing input...a input to my entire liking ...ah ah ah if YOU should know how many times I should have fished allready a "TUPS" in a 'far past' ...well YOU should 'take up' Your eyebrows !

Yes as everywhere else in Europe...the "TUPS" story was 'spread' into flyfishing clubs...magazines...books.....and go on !!!.    It is frapping and on the other hand it is not...but the story and encounter with this pattern is SEEMINGLY like a RED THREAD for everyone of US !!!

psttttttttttt when I was over for the first time in SCOTLAND (this was 1979)...when me and and a good fishingfriend (we where still young and without a 'stronghold' relation at that time)...made a THREE WEEK fishing trip to Scotland...'our' target was TROUT AND GRAYLING....and we fished the river EDEN (Cumbria), the ANNAN and CAIRN...to strand a week and half further in JEDBURGH on the river JED...and taking up a weekticket on the river TEVIOT (this is a tributary of that mighty and worlkdknown salmon river TWEED)....

During this further week and half before we had to 'return' homewards again...we fished thus 'daily' those rivers JED and TEVIOT...and caught a nice amount of fish (even I must admit immediatly we didn't had the experience THEN we have or builded up  to nowadays).   WE fished 'dry' (yes DALE hahahahaha)...and we took 'our' share of wild brown trout and grayling...

What I want to come toooooo (yes I am beginning to be a bit of a burbler hahahahaha like DALE)...where YOU have the junction of the river Teviot with his headriver Tweed...YOU are in the small town of KELSO (pstttttt the juction beat upthere is worldreknown for his quality salmon fishing...not affordable methink for 99 % of our members uphere to take a fishingweek... there is a 'legendary' hotel tooooooooo at that junction wich is still operating as it was a decade ago...read EDNAM HOUSE HOTEL !!!

In KELSO YOU had two shops...of wich the smallest of the two (the less known perhaps) was "REDPATH &Co"....there was also "FORREST AND SONs"....we visited as much we could during our 10 days and Teviot and Tweedside the shop by "REDPATH and Co"...the owner at date ...a fantastic 'old' gentleman came each time proudly taking place behind the 'contoir/serving bank'...ah ah ah to make a story short...before the 'second world war' the 'shop' (even they where as said the smallest of the two existing ones in Kelso)...worked with a nice amount of FLYTYERS to make the flies...but unfortunatly a part of their little factory felt victim to bombardements.   Anyway  my first "TUPS INDISPENSABLEs" came from there !!! they where tied on small UPEYED dryflies with a slightly reversed hookbend in them (think they where even 16 or 18)....

I promise I will SEARCH in my 'cellar' ...as somewhere I am sure or or at least I believe I have still a couple 'over'....again if ...if I am able still to find them...I will take a photo of them !!!...

Anyway since then...euh at least during  my first 10/15 years I flyfished in rivers of all kind...I was allways tempted to try OUT a "TUPS INDISPENSABLE"...with reasonbable succes !!!

Another one of those great 'old' CLASSIC 'dry fly' patterns....was that other 'fancy' troutfly...read the "GREENWELL GLORY"...perhaps I have still a few of these tooooo (I will see)...

Anyway as a DRY fly fisherman (yes DALE 'Mon Ami' ...my 'Enemy of the heart')..........I am confident that also a WET 'urine stained' "TUPS" could and should work hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha !!!

My two cents !!!

DEAR JOE,

YOU DID SOOOOOOOOOOOO WELL ON YOUR 'take' here on this wich I better would call : "CARMICHEAL INDISPENSABLE" via HW !!!!!!!!! hahahahahahhaa

The "DUVEL BURBLER"

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#5 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:40 PM

Joe & HW & GEERT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geert, I love this story. The old fellow, his stories about the shop and tiers, etc. Just great stuff.

Joe: Geert and I tease one another and get away with it because we are kindred spirits. It seems odd to find one on a forum, but here we are.

I will tell you that Geert, my enemy of the heart, but also Mon Ami! - our friendship is odd due to his oddness, of course - is a fine dry fly fisher. During his short, delightful visit, on our first few moments on the water, the casts he made were good, yes, but his control of the line - rod position, line work and concentration on everything: current, fly, line and tippet position relative to current and the trout - was excellent. I was immediately relaxed and happy. We shared fishing friendship instead of a type of mentoring I often experience - and love!

This is a thread I enjoy. Thanks to each of you for the part you play in it.

Other than Geert, of course: the DB if the votes come in!

dd

Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#6 Joe Raven

Joe Raven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:17 PM

Thank you so much guys!

Geert, congratulation on your new title "Duvel Burbler", it seems like quite an achievement to be knighted with such a high title! I think it was the Burblers who Nietzsche's Zarathustra ment was the "übermensch" among men... or maybe the Burblers are something even deeper, like an elders council of flyfishermen. Anyway, I raise my glas in honour for you!

It sounds like you had a great time fishing Scotland with your friends back in the "good old days". (I'm a big fan of both Scotland and the 70's)... and also dryfly fishing for trout, your story had everything. The two shops in Kelso sounds very interesting, and yes, I would really love to see pictures of those old scottish Tups!

Also a little fact about me: As I am a trout angler at heart, and always will be, I do have a list of three salmon rivers I hope to fish sometime. Yes, I have caught as "many" as 12 salmons in my homeriver over the years, but 10 of them took on nymphs/ect. while I was fishing for seatrout. The list are: River Dee-Scotland, River Tweed-Scotland, and Mörrum-Sweden. This dream is far from a top-priority, but just to be there and to fish the same waters as the "old legends", and also knowing some of the significant history of those rivers, it would be quite a thrill.

Dale, as I said before, I would love to be a "fly on the wall" during the fishing you and Geert shared. And it is clear to see that you two have such a strong friendship, for that I am glad. 

Fishing with a dry is always fun. Even on the very small trouts there are in many of the small lakes around here. 

Also Dale, I will write you back later today. Still having busy days, but tomorrow is friday I think... Yep, So that means my "weekend" starts later today.

Take care you guys,

-Joe

Stillwater runs deep  

#7 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:29 PM

Joe,

It's good to dream.