3 replies to this topic

#1 Troutmaddave

Troutmaddave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 10:53 PM

Nearly mayfly time here on the lakes, hopefully pick up a large fish on this pattern at dusk......fingers crossed

Attached File  IMG_0420.JPG   88.9K   105 downloads

Cheers
Dave

#2 arkle

arkle

arkle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:05 AM

A good, but now departed friend of mine for whom I used to tie lots of may's for the lakes & lough's over there always reckoned a bit of red, should be in all the flies I tied for him. & he found it made a LOAD of difference to his catch rate.

#3 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 04:27 PM

Hey Dave,

I like the look.  I know someone who ties his big spinners like this but he adds a "covert" with some foam to add to the floatation.  Ever ry synthetic materials for wings?

#4 JerriB

JerriB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:05 PM

I tie a lot of the Poly winged mayfly spinners, not for lake mayflies , but for stream fishing.  Last year we had very low, very clear water for much of the season and I was just in my glory  because I love that fishing. I would go to one long, slower pool in the mornings and fish the edges of the current. We had all kinds of trout, stream Largemouth and Smallmouth and huge bluegills that would cruise those drifts and sip in the previous evenings spinners. Lots of rust, amber, dark brown or tan , #14-18;  in September I went into the #20's and fished tiny black Trico spinners and the little white with the black thorax Caenis spinners for trout.