7 replies to this topic

#1 Slarssen

Slarssen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:16 PM

Attached File  DSCF2012.JPG   83.68K   145 downloadsAttached File  DSCF2001.JPG   84.02K   161 downloads

I wanted to make a more mellow fly, and I found one of the more reduced Green Highlander patterns. This from Kelsons The Salmon Fly. I then used a paler, almost olive green, and a darker green yet in the wing. Wanted it to feel like autumn, but warm too. A mustad vintage hook with a nice round bend to accompany the round curve of the toppings in the wing and the tail.

Did it as a married wing, and it should be period correct doing that. Tips down, too. 

The butt snapped at some point during the main wing, at least thats when I saw it... Oh well. 

- Stig

#2 Ronn Lucas

Ronn Lucas

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,899 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:30 PM

Too bad the butt "cracked". Otherwise a very good looking fly!!

Happy Trails!
Ronn

My Website
http://www.ronnlucassr.com/
APPLE FRITTER BANDIT

#3 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:05 PM

An easy fix.

Darwin award winner of flytying

#4 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just Livin' The Dream

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:26 PM

Fine effort Stig. Very nice rendition of this GH pattern. Butt crack tongue.png tongue.png tongue.png gotta love it

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#5 Slarssen

Slarssen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:25 PM

Thanks guys! Jim; how would you go about to fix the herl?

#6 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:57 AM

Wrap the herl back tight to the shank, stroke the barbules away from the barb end, use a couple wraps of Semperfli Nano thread and a whip finish to tie it down, stacking the five wraps on top of each other.  Cut the thread tight to the shank, then stroke the barbules over the tie down.  You will likely need to use a "clippey" to hold the body hackle out of your way.  Because of the position, you need to know how to do a whip finish without a tool.  If that is problematic, you can also just put a small spot of adhesive on the barb end.  That is tricky, though, because you need cement that will not wick.  Better to just figure out how to tie off the thread.  If you want to go the cement route, I would use fairly thick CA, then set it immediately with "Zip Kick".  Make sure this happens on the side away from the viewing side if it is to be framed.  If fished, just lash it down and don't worry....fish won't care.  You will do much worse when you are standing in the river with a tattered fly that is catching like crazy to keep it in action!

#7 Slarssen

Slarssen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:04 AM

Thank you Jim. I attempted to fix it. It had unraveled from the back, so it was difficult to wrap back up with tight wrappings because of the stem position. It snapped again, now at the front! I think I’ll just add some wool there, or just leave it. Kind of just a practice fly.

#8 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:27 PM

Sounds like you need some less brittle ostrich! 

Sometimes, antique is not the answer...keep an eye out for feather dusters.  They are cheap and contain a lifetime supply of ostrich plumes.  They are also natural black.  More of a dark grey.  They also tend to be made of plumes with short barbules.  The ones that aren't appropriate for show girls, but just what we need.  Very nice!

If it has become a challenge to repair, dubbed wool would be a fine choice.  You could also tie in a new herl, finishing it off as I described.