8 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Raven

Joe Raven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:36 PM

Hello, my dear friends and fellow classic fly tyers.

Just got my pc back and I can finaly post some more flies. (I could use my phone or my tablet, but I don't like to write on touch-screens)

I want my first fly that I post here this year to be a fly that I found myself fancy a lot, both the history and the tying. Though it might be an overkill among most dryflies, I do think this fly has some real charm. Can't wait to try it out on my South Bend 359 rod.

Now, this is not 100% original, but I am pretty satisfied with the result and the look of it. I made the body pretty fat because I want this to float even in the rapid streams of my homeriver. The hook is an Tiemco 3761 size 8, I choose this hook because I will fish this fly for seatrouts and salmon, and because I think it looks good on such a massive fly.

Here it is, the "All American Overkill" by Wulff and Messinger; The Irresistible Wulff. 

Attached File  tmb.jpg   121.98K   122 downloads

Please comment and critique. Tips on how to improve for future flies are always welcome. Thank you.

-Joe Raven

Stillwater runs deep  

#2 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:04 PM

Hi Joe,

Earlier, I wrote you a long pm, but it was lost because it wouldn't send. Oh well.

The fly looks good! I'm pleased to see you tying and fishing dry flies with a bamboo fly rod!

I agree with your choice of hook - I often use nymph hooks to tie attractor dry flies because of their stoutness and strength. Before I went to fish in Quebec for salmon I tied this pattern, but on up eye salmon hooks, size #4! And I caught a 22 pound salmon on one of the Irresistible Wulff patterns! What a memory - 14 years ago.

One comment, for what it's worth. I like the body to take up about 1/2 of the hook shank length, the, tie the wing in the middle of the remaining area, wind hackle equally behind and in front of the wing. But I sure like your version!

Great to see your first 2015 fly: and it's a dry fly.

Dale

Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#3 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:40 PM

Dear JOE ! (wink !),

I realy don't come often uphere...even I am a fanatic DRY fly fisherman (ask DALE DARLING ....he will confirm this ...euh yes  in 2013 I was over in DD his  'warm house' in Colorado to FISH 'dries' hahahahahahhaa....euh every possible pattern worked exept 'our' Belgium parade fly.............sooooooooo....psttttttt I think that this ONE WOULD had had a chance tooooooo in those extremly 'fast fast runs' upthere !!! ...WINK  to DD...)

Ah I am looking to a nicely tied WULFF...

I LOVE DRY FLIES hahahahahahahhahaaa...but I LOVE a bit of SINK tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hahahahhahahaha

Geert

PS...psttttttttttttttttt I can garantee YOU that Your 'enveloppe' is underway destination NORWAY !!! (euh since monday !)...

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#4 Joe Raven

Joe Raven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:23 PM

Hi again Dale. And thank you very much. Too bad about the PM though, the internet works in mysterious ways. 

The 22 pound on a I.W. is no doubt a great prestige. I can only congratulate you on that Dale!

Yes, I came to think of it when I had finished it. When I started I left about 2/5 of the hook shank for the hackle and wing. Guess I underestimated the mass of the calf-tail wing. Again, thanks for the tip.

Geert, dries are always a blast to fish with, am I right?

I would have loved to be a "dry" fly on the wall then, just to see you two great anglers togeather at the river. haha... How was the fishing then?

Good to hear, I can't wait! Again, thank you very much for your kind comment and everything.

-Joe

Stillwater runs deep  

#5 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:27 PM

Dear JOE,

It isn't Your fault that YOU don't know (perhaps not yet)....WHAT happend on THE 'END' of  that memorable 'friendshipsweek' with DALE and his fantastic wife SHAN ...also with forumfriends Keith Ciesla, Jeff Dickey, Charlie Vestal, Michael Ringus and Austin Clayton who where there 'for' me or came by to say hello !!!

A great great tragedy struck for them JOE........not yet 30 hours after that DALE had brought me back to DENVER AIRPORT to get my plane back to Belgium...the river BIG THOMPSON brook thrugh his own  banks due to sever but then severe rains...can YOU believe it that the river took another 'riverway channel'  ...(yes the original river wasn't any more...was even completly empty at long stretches ....the 'new' formed river was  flowing  downstream in his new bed he had made...and WASHED  away with a enormous strenght that warm house of DALE and SHAN...

They where evacuated by the 'American Army'...and so unhappy to must say...they completly lost their HOUSE aswell their truck/car...and every but then every possible thing who was in their 'nice and warm house'

All this YOU can find back with images and photo's and info in  OUR 'Lodge section' and perhaps also on our Classic and Artistic Salmon Flytying pages ...JOE YOU just have to search them up ...'september' and october and november and december 2013...........euh and if YOU want to find still a couple of 'smiles' before that tragedy struck ...well I think that Dale putted on also on different days I was there ...a 'up to date' of those unforgetable week for me and and and  better period in DALE and SHAN their lives....

We are now a year and and four months further...and DALE and SHAN showed in the meanwhile a great great 'strenght' and 'love' for each other to GO on with their lives...to confront a 'new' future !!!

Me and my wife Nathalie are still praying that 'GOD' may bless them day in day out with LOVE AND STRENGHT...

Geert and Nathalie

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#6 Joe Raven

Joe Raven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:07 PM

Geert and Dale, it is with great sadness and tearfull eyes I read these words from you Geert. What a tragedy that was... I can't imagine how horrible it must really be to loose everything in such a catastrophe...

Dale, I took a look in the archive and found the threads about this, the pictures you posted showed nothing more than the reality of how strong the natural forces can be. And that even a small stream can grow to become such a destructive flood from just "tiny" raindrops. Now, I do remember watching this on the news, and thinking of all the people evacuated, only to never see their homes again... I feel nothing but love and support for all the victims.

I'm glad to see the big hearts on so many of the members in this forum showing their support for you and your family Dale. And of course, if you ever in need of something I'll do my best to help you as well. 

I will hope only for the best for you and your family in the future. And I'm very glad to hear that you and your Shan still stand strong after this horrible, horrible tragedy. 

Also, it seems like you guys had lots of good time and nice fishing the days before. 

-Joe

Stillwater runs deep  

#7 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:25 PM

Joe,

You are a kind young man. Thanks.

Blessings come out of these sorts of things. Keep that in mind. Media only want to see the horror and spread fear and insecurity.

We didn't, and don't, find our sense of peace and security in things, all of which rust, get moth eaten and so on.

One may also build character with challenges. The flood certainly was unexpected, but everything that God had brought into our lives before prepared us with all that was required to thrive through it.

Keep tying! When do you shear the sheep?

dd

#8 Joe Raven

Joe Raven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:23 PM

Dale, yes, the media always shows the most dramatic side of the story. It's good to hear that your faith is strong, getting back on your feet after such an impact can be tough. 

We shear the sheeps in October/November and again in April before the lambing starts. There's a Scottish "lad" named John who is hired to shear them, he is a professional sheep-shearer and uses less than 2 minutes per sheep. My job is to "walk" the sheeps to him. And believe me when I say that after a day of sheep-wrestling you're pretty beaten up, it's a wonder how John can do it with one hand while he shears with the other, technique and stamina is the key I guess... haha... Usaly it takes two or three days to shear them all, including the 25 "tups", the largest being about 125 kg/280 lbs.

On the plus side I get to pick through the wool as he shears, and if I see some good wool (long, short, curly or extra fine ect.) I get to take it home to use in my flytying after a good wash and dyed into the desired color, unless it's from the underside of the tail and it got the bright ginger'ish color from the urine. A very effective color on many caddis-larvae imitations.

-Joe

Stillwater runs deep  

#9 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:26 PM

Great stuff Joe!

I've heard about the speed of shearers, but never observed it. That's something else.

I suppose the material is great! Wonder how it would work on RAT patterns and Gotchas - a bonefish fly that is best tied with polar bear hair, but sheep might work, too.

Hope you're well today. Thanks for filling me in on this.

Dale