10 replies to this topic

#1 Troutmaddave

Troutmaddave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:53 AM

My latest, inspired by Austin Clayton's version.

Attached File  IMG_0367.JPG   100.6K   78 downloads

Tail is a bit on the long side and I kept the tippets whole. One of my favourite patterns is the Childers
All the best
Dave

#2 Flynewbrunswick

Flynewbrunswick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 02:08 AM

Great fly Dave. This flee does have many components, always have trouble with big heads myself. You fishing this?

#3 Troutmaddave

Troutmaddave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 02:11 AM

Might give it to somebody, chickened out of the herl head, went for wool!!
Cheers
Dave

#4 Ronn Lucas

Ronn Lucas

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,301 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:37 AM

SWEET Dave!!!

Happy Trails!
Ronn

My Website
http://www.ronnlucassr.com/
APPLE FRITTER BANDIT

#5 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:06 AM

Might give it to somebody, chickened out of the herl head, went for wool!!
Cheers
Dave

Watch Ryan Houston's video on applying herl heads using a thread loop.  You will never hesitate to use a herl head again.

Darwin award winner of flytying

#6 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:27 PM

I like it Dave...very nice!!

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#7 silverytay

silverytay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 03:29 PM

Great fly Dave. This flee does have many components, always have trouble with big heads myself. You fishing this?

Bonny flee Dave,might be silly question but as I'm new to these flies,are these gut eyed flies okay to use,will the gut eye hold if you hooked a fish? If you intend fishing them do you tie gut on full length of the shank before you dress them ? Cheers Sean

#8 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:30 PM

Bonny flee Dave,might be silly question but as I'm new to these flies,are these gut eyed flies okay to use,will the gut eye hold if you hooked a fish? If you intend fishing them do you tie gut on full length of the shank before you dress them ? Cheers Sean

I can answer that one for you.  NO.  That is to say, if you have freshly made gut, it will work as well as it ever did.  But after some use, it eventually fails.  If you wish to wish to tie on blind eye hooks to fish, drop me a note with your address and I will send you some very attractive twisted nylon for the purpose.  it is made like rope, with three double strands doubled again and twisted, then the three resulting strands twisted.  It is also a fair sub for gut if you don't wish to pay for gut on your display flies.  I use if a fair bit even though I have lots of gut because I like the look of it.

On the other hand, most modern fishermen tie their feather wing flies on eyed hooks.

Darwin award winner of flytying

#9 Troutmaddave

Troutmaddave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:36 PM

Thanks for you comments Sean and for your insight Jim.
This particular fly has a twisted Dacron eye that o got from Richard Jefferies. It goes all the way to the butt so I'd be confident that it would hold a fish, there is also a blob of super glue in there as well......( shush!!)

#10 silverytay

silverytay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:01 PM

Thanks Jim i was tying some flees with horsehair to sub the gut,just wondered if they would hold..ps Dave i put some glue on my gut subs too 👀👌. Cheers folks. Sean

#11 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:28 PM

Gut, horsehair, linen, they've held for over hundred years.

Dave I like the long tail ... nice tie.