<)((((><

#2 letumgo

letumgo

Custom Member Title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:37 PM

I finally got time to try my hand at some Hornberg's (there are other photos in the pattern database). I'm looking forward to fishing these next spring.

Thanks for the great video, Shaq. It was very helpful.

Shortcut to Shaq's Tutorial Video:
Hornberg Tying Video Link

Great Article on the History of the "Hornberg Special"
Hornberg Article

- Ray (letumgo)
<)((((><

#3 DaveG

DaveG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:09 PM

Ray:

The Hornberg and the Muddler Minnow are my favorite "go to" flies. Fish them dry or wet, high or low, fast or slow. No wonder folks call them classics. This is a mighty fine wet version and will no doubt be torn to shreds before long...

dg
High maintenance...but worth the effort

#4 letumgo

letumgo

Custom Member Title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:21 PM

Thanks Dave. I tyed some with nice dry hackle (stiff) and others with webby hackle (soft) to have a couple options while fishing. I've got a preference for the softer hackle material, but I think the stiff hackle may move more water give off more vibration when it is stripped in after a drift (kind of like the head of a muddler).

I've never fished a Hornberg, but I've heard good things about them for quite some time. It would have been fun to test them out on the West Branch of the Ausable last summer. Hopefully next summer I will get another chance. biggrin.gif
- Ray (letumgo)
<)((((><

#5 Mike Boyer

Mike Boyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,651 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:27 AM

Very cool, Ray. They should fish well for sure. headbang.gif

#6 Redwings1

Redwings1

solid technique with a dash of style

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 02:00 AM

nice tie!
-Mike Schmidt of ANGLERSCHOICEFLIES.COM

IPB Image

#7 madkasel

madkasel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 02:15 AM

Excellent tie.

Hornberg is on my list of flies to tie this winter. Frank Hornberg was a Wisconsin game warden (I believe - been awhile since I read the story).

Anyway, I like to tie flies with that local connection.

#8 bobfly

bobfly

Bob Frandsen. East Gippsland. Victoria. Australia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 02:50 AM

Great flies. This the first chance I`ve had to see one close-up. i`ll have to knock a few up for the locals to try headbang.gif

#9 willowhead

willowhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,300 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:45 AM

WOW!!!! again Ray.....thass KILLIN' TOO! biggrin.gif
Dave, my favorite two classic minnow patterns are the Muddler and Hornberg as well. They frickin' WORK! West Branch of the AuSable and the Saranac are two of the rivers where we've had a terrific time with both of them. Only Streamers we used. Misa likes to dry fly fish the most, and then nymph.......but i LOVE fishin' streamers. If you don't mind snow.....(HATE the stuff).....your in a GREAT place for fishin' both Trout and Landlocks. I REALLY wanna go for Landlocked Salmon again one day. Hopefully the NEC FFF will get it together soon and have another Conclave up your way one day. mark..... cool.gif
Mark J. Romero
94 Yorktown Road
Roscoe, N.Y. 12776-5017
607-498-9944 or
82 Stone Dog Lane
Lakeview, Arkansas 72642
870-431-8955
www.JazzMarkGallery.com
Swallows Nest Fly Tyers

#10 streamertyer

streamertyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:16 PM

Always a fave. Nice job Ray. headbang.gif A fly I try not to be without on the stream.

#11 luvinbluegills

luvinbluegills

And before he rested on the seventh day...he created the bluegil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:30 PM

Nice! Y'know, I tied about a dozen of these when I first started tying, and I'm almost ashamed to say that I have yet to fish one despite the glowing reviews I hear for this pattern. Ok, they're going in the box!

#12 letumgo

letumgo

Custom Member Title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:48 PM

I read an interesting web article mentioning another variation of the Hornberg that was used by Bob Leeman. The version seems to be tyed more as a streamer. The Leeman version includes a couple grizzle hackles on each side of the fly (under the mallard flank feathers). I think I will tye a couple up to add to the box along with these.

Here are the materials for Leeman's Hornberg Streamer variation:

Body: Flat silver tinsel
Wing: Sparse yellow bucktail, flanked by four grizzly saddle hackles
Shoulders: Mallard flank about half a wing length
Collar: Grizzly hackle collared and tied back
(sorry the hook size is not listed)
- Ray (letumgo)
<)((((><

#13 willowhead

willowhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,300 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:15 AM

COOL..... smile.gif
Mark J. Romero
94 Yorktown Road
Roscoe, N.Y. 12776-5017
607-498-9944 or
82 Stone Dog Lane
Lakeview, Arkansas 72642
870-431-8955
www.JazzMarkGallery.com
Swallows Nest Fly Tyers

#14 redietz

redietz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (letumgo @ Dec 29 2007, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read an interesting web article mentioning another variation of the Hornberg that was used by Bob Leeman. The version seems to be tyed more as a streamer. The Leeman version includes a couple grizzle hackles on each side of the fly (under the mallard flank feathers). I think I will tye a couple up to add to the box along with these.

Here are the materials for Leeman's Hornberg Streamer variation:

Body: Flat silver tinsel
Wing: Sparse yellow bucktail, flanked by four grizzly saddle hackles
Shoulders: Mallard flank about half a wing length
Collar: Grizzly hackle collared and tied back
(sorry the hook size is not listed)

Other than having mallard flank in it, that hardly sounds like a hornberg. Interesting that he would call it that. It seems to change the basic nature of the fly, which is that it can't make up its mind about whether it's a dry fly or a streamer. There aren't too many other flies in that category; maybe a muddler tied on light wire and used as a hopper.

And don't think you can't fish a hornberg tied with stiff hackle wet. I like to float them until they're below me, then pull them under and retrieve upstream. They work equally well dry and wet.
Bob

#15 letumgo

letumgo

Custom Member Title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:48 PM

Interesting points, Bob.

Here is a photo of the variation that I described above. I don't know if you saw the original post.

Link to the original post of the Hornburg Streamer (Bob Leeman Variation)
Attached File  Hornburg_Streamer__Bob_Leeman__s_Variation_.jpg   92.75K   26 downloads

The gentleman in the background is my father. Still one of my all time favorite pictures...
- Ray (letumgo)
<)((((><

#16 redietz

redietz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:57 AM

QUOTE (letumgo @ Jan 28 2010, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is a photo of the variation that I described above. I don't know if you saw the original post.

No, I hadn't seen it. Now that I have, I think I would have called it a Hornberg streamer, too. I had envisioned something very different from just reading the recipe.
Bob

#17 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:13 AM

[quote name='redietz' date='Jan 28 2010, 11:57 PM' post='366513']
No, I hadn't seen it. Now that I have, I think I would have called it a Hornberg streamer, too. I had envisioned something very different from just reading the recipe.

[Dear BOB and RAY,

First of all...ofcourse I hadn't seen this post (as it was a 2007) - wonderfull tied HORNBERG by You RAY ! welldone

Second I am delighted to have 'spotted' now...this 'sherlock holmes' work by YOU BOB ...(following up every 'new' enventif pattern to a pattern)

At least said very very 'intriging' ...this 'special IN between ...HORNBERG' by Mr Leeman

but but but it EYES ...realy good and above all 'killing'...

With looking good a couple of times...ONE can't overlook (even the choices are open to say now it's defenitly a streamer...that this streamer has a FULL dryflyhackle (and this over a reasonable part of the hook to the front)...

STREAMER YES...DRY FLY YES...(perhaps that the 'outcoming' grizzly hackles can be seen as a big big sedge or stonefly WING)...

Anyway my 2 cents and....for my part 'every vieuw' (steamer or dry) is GOOD/CORRECT !

With lots of respect for YOU both...and as DAVID G. said ONCE 'this HORNBERG' is still quicking and alive

Geert/Gerald

/quote]

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#18 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:19 AM

Dear BOB and RAY,

A rapid correction...had to much attention for that 'grizzly hackles' pointing OUT his rear/butt...

but the 'front hackle' of Mr. LEEMAN's Honrberg...isn't ofcourse tied as a dryflyhackle but as wet collar set to the REAR...my appologies...

so so so some points scores EXTRA ...for saying it's now a steamer !

Cheers

Geert/Gerald...
Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#19 kelkay

kelkay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:30 PM

letumgo that is a terrific fly...I have tried to tie two or three of them in the past, and plan to tie more in the future...I had trouble with the feathers curving though...how did you get your feathers to lie flat?

#20 letumgo

letumgo

Custom Member Title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:06 AM

kelkay - Could you post a picture of your fly? I am not sure I understand your question. What do you mean by the feathers curving? If you are wrapping the tying thread over the fibers of the mallard feather the will be pushed around the shank of the hook, causing the feather to bend. When I tyed these, I stripped the fibers off the stem. The fibers come to a point just behind where they are tyed in. If I remember correctly, the tying thread is only on the stem of the feathers flanking the fly. Also keep in mind that the feathers are supported by the calf tail hair under the wing. I tyed in both sides at the same time. The feathers were pinched in my left hand, on each side of the underwing. I hold them firmly in place while making my thread wraps to prevent twisting.

I tried clicking on the link to the materials list, but it no longer seems to be working. Here is the material list and a new link.

Material List:
Hook - Daiichi (Model 1710/Size 8)
Thread - Black 6/0
Body - Narrow Silver Mylar Tinsel
Underwing - Yellow Calf Tail
Wing - Mallard Flank Feathers (tented)
Eyes - Jungle Cock Nails or Substitute
Collar - Grizzle Hackle (five wraps)
Head - Tying Thread coated with head cement

Hornberg Link

EDIT - This is the response I sent to kelkay's PM below. I have added here in case it is helpful to others in the future.

After studying your first picture, I think I know what you mean now. The mallard feathers have a natural cup to them. In other words, if you hold the feather with the good side towards you, it will tend to curve away at the tip of the feather. It is very important to pick two feathers that are nearly identical in shape. The feathers should also have the straightest center stems you can find. When the feathers are tyed in, they will press inwards against each other (balancing the pressure and flattening the wing). If one of the feathers is stronger than the other, or the feather stem is curved, the forces will be unequal and the feather will bend one way or the other. I spend time stripping and pairing feathers before tying the fly. Hold the feathers together (back-to-back) to see if they make an even pairing. If the fibers are equal, then the curves will cancel each other out. Also keep in mind that the longer the wing is, the more difficult it will be to balance the wing.

I hope this helps.
- Ray (letumgo)
<)((((><