34 replies to this topic

#1 Marc LeBlanc

Marc LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 12:39 AM

Our organizing committee is working hard on all the details related to the next installment of the Atlantic Salmon Fly International. We have officially struck the dates of June 22, 23 and 24, 2018 in Miramichi, New Brunswick, Canada!!

For those of you who attended the 2014 or 2016 shows, you understand the attention to details Rocky and his team put into it. Our promise to Rocky was that we would maintain the standard he demanded, a very difficult standard to achieve. We are committed to pulling off a session that will make Rocky proud.

Many more details will be made available in 2017 so stay tuned but we wanted to get the word out now regarding the dates. Mark it on your calendars- June 22, 23 and 24, 2018 in Miramichi, New Brunswick, Canada!

Cheers!

Marc

#2 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 04:14 PM

Marc,

I didn't make the earlier festivities...far side of the US, hate to fly...you get the picture. But Miramichi...oh yea!! I'm saving my pennies and marking my calendar. This time I plan to be there....

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#3 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 04:42 PM

Well done Marc.

Best to you and the others working on this event!
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#4 Hooter

Hooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 03:47 AM

Sounds like your really committed Marc, my hats off to you guys...lots of details, eh? Thank you for continuing a great event, I look forward to attending and seeing old friends and making new ones!
ATB
Glenn
ASFI show, great people, beautiful flies and new friends!

#5 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:54 AM

Dear MARC,

Thanks for this 'slendid' NEWS...

I am convinced that a whole lot of 'us' will do their 'best' to be there !!!

Take care of Your beloved A. and the boys ..hope things go well with Your 'dad' tooooo

Geert

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#6 Chris Knox

Chris Knox

Chris Knox- London, England

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 03:54 PM

Sweet ! Looking forward to this come 2018. 'Canada, Oh Canada'

C

"Why fish for tinsel when you can fish for gold ?"- Frank Sawyer on the subject of Grayling

#7 Barkworth

Barkworth

ClassicFlyTying.net

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:00 AM

Count me in. I'm looking forward to it already :-)

Rv-

www.ClassicFlyTying.net

the reference guide for traditional salmon fly tying...

#8 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:06 PM

just in time for spring salmon?

#9 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:13 PM

just in time for spring salmon?

Ted,

I'm no expert on the Miramichi system, but I do know the spring (black) salmon fishing begins with ice out...usually in April. By late June when the ASFI happens fresh salmon could be already coming into the river...(???) I know fishing is on my mind as part of my hopes to get there for the big event. We shall see.

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#10 Marc LeBlanc

Marc LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:32 PM

Hi Teddy,

As George mentioned, our season for kelt fishing (spring fish or black salmon) starts on April 15 and lasts about one month as those fish return to the ocean to feed. Starting in mid May, the kelts have all migrated out of the system and the first of the fresh run fish start arriving. Those first waves of salmon are large so chances are if you are lucky enough to hook one, it will be a hard fighting trophy fish. There usually aren't many grilse around until the second week or so of July.

So, by the time of the ASFI show, there will be fresh, large salmon to fish for along with large (4+ pound) sea run brook trout and about a half million striped bass from small schoolies to 50 pounders. These you will be able to fish for literally minutes from the hotel if not right in front of the hotel itself!!

Marc

#11 Marc LeBlanc

Marc LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:36 PM

The timing of ASFI 2018 was purposely set to coincide with great fishing opportunities!

Marc

#12 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 06:15 PM

The timing will be bad for Teddy if there are only big fish. He needs small ones that won't strain his diminishing musculature. Unless they've developed a reel you can wind with mouth muscles! That guy hasn't lost any ability to talk!
Hey Teddy! Yo!!

#13 Chris Knox

Chris Knox

Chris Knox- London, England

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:37 AM

Geert will be able to throw beer bottles at the fish from his hotel bedroom window- hope that's been factored into the risk assessment.

C

"Why fish for tinsel when you can fish for gold ?"- Frank Sawyer on the subject of Grayling

#14 Marc LeBlanc

Marc LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:33 PM

Good point Chris!! I will contact hotel management and ensure his room does not face the water!!!

Cheers,

Marc

#15 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:39 PM

Risk rises where Geert is. Beware.

#16 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:40 PM

Hey I may be short but I'm slow too....

Marc,  Besides the fishing license, etc., does a guide need to be hired ?  I knew there were bass up there but I didn't know there were that many.  Have the salmon populations gone down?  This owuld be great for those who have never caught a striper on a fly.... I would love to get into some salmon or sea trout!

If you plug up the end of one of Geert's beer bottles then you can have a Belgium Bobber!  

Dale,   I talk a lot that is true, but you need to know why...I taught for 34 years when the majority of teachers was female, AND I am married to the same woman (my honey Judy) for 43 years...sssssssssoooooooo the only time I can talk is when away from them.

(Sorry about the sssoooo  I fell into a Geert moment)  blush.png

#17 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:09 PM

Dear TED,

And soooooooooo YOU do 'day in day out'  oh oh OH SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL  for Your beloved one...

pstttttttttttttttttttttttt that is the 'way' to receive something in return tooooooooooooooooooooo on a 'loving basis' and 'marriage'  !!!

Yeh yeh yeh...now I have to make some COPPER BOBBERS...hahahahahahahaha

let this 'thread' or 'dream' CONTINUE !!!

Geert

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#18 Marc LeBlanc

Marc LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:35 PM

Hi Ted,

To fish for salmon and trout, a licensed guide is required in New Brunswick. As far as I know, No guide is required to fish for the stripers in the tidal waters like where the ASFI hotel is located. I know guys that catch 30 + bass in just a few hours of fishing them.

As far as the impact they are having on salmon and trout population, that is THE question around here. It seems illogical to believe that the arrival of the bass coinciding with the outward migration of the salmon smolts has no negative impact on the smolt survival. That is what the bass guys are saying- there is no evidence that bass eat smolts. I find that hard to believe when I witness the aggressive nature of the bass when they are feeding. Every year, they catch bass further and further upriver- I remember you fished out of Doaktown or Boiestown before and they catch bass further upriver than there every summer!!!! They aren't feeding on lillipads up there are they?

Personally I would love to see huge numbers of bass and huge #s of salmon and trout. In recent years, things have been out of balance and in the favour of the bass.

You are right, bass are a hoot to catch and there should be some memorable fishing in 2018.

Cheers!

Marc

#19 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:46 PM

"That is what the bass guys are saying- there is no evidence that bass eat smolts."

This is not rocket surgery.  The fish and game people could determine this in an afternoon.  Just shock up a decent sample of stripers and check their stomach contents.  I can't imagine they have not yet done this.

Darwin award winner of flytying

#20 Marc LeBlanc

Marc LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:15 AM

I agree James. Have a read. This is from the Federal department of fisheries, the supposed experts in Canadian pisctatorial matters.

http://www.glf.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Gulf/FAM/Recreational-Fisheries/FAQ-Striped-Bass

Cheers!

Marc