7 replies to this topic

#1 j8000

j8000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 08:11 PM

I tied two of these to experiment with some small mouth bass.  I have only fished once, but the results brought in several pan fish, type of sunfish I think.  Which is a success to me, because I plan on a few pan fish trips in the near future.  I didn't lure any small mouth(maybe one or two fingerlings), but the bass fishing was poor that day and only a few, 1/2 pound the heaviest, were caught.  This was used as a dropper fly, size one blind eye hook.

I know this isn't a perfect fly and it is my version of the Green Glade as I didn't have a red goose or anything similar to marry to the green tail so I just tied in some red fibers I had laying around.  And I'm sure it shows, but I haven't done very many herl heads and am not happy with this one.  Any advice on the herl heads is very welcome.

Jeff

Attached Files

#2 arkle

arkle

arkle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 09:10 AM

Hi Jeff, although I don't tie many flies at the moment, I can recall seeing several "threads" on here about herl heads, so maybe use of the "search" button maybe of help.  As a (very) rough guide, the judicious use of a soft-ish & tacky wax is mentioned in most of them, I think.

#3 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:11 PM

JEFF,

If YOU hold 'on' (have a bit of patience)...I will tie this same "GREEN GLADE" in the first days to come...and try to take a couple of shots of 'how' I do that 'PEACOCK herlhead...

Ofcourse we can't neglect that  it is soooooooo that in the MARY ORVIS MARBURY book plates...where that "GREEN GLADE" is pictured...it seems the 'red hackle' is more looking than a normal throath than on many many of MOM flies a COLLAR who is put in front of the wing (read first the wing is set then the hackle/collar).....with doing that YOU will have 'NO problems' to put on a nice PEACOCK HERLHEAD.   On the other side as YOU tied Yours...YOU have to be attentful not to have TO much room (read the distance after the wing to the eye of Your hook)....and and and as with OSTRICH HERLHEADS not to have to MUCH SLOOP allready...as this will cause YOU problems of all kind.

as John mentioned WAX can help with a 'slooping head/restbits'...not to slide down with winding Your peacock herls to the 'front'...

It' is also sooooooooo that two (2) techniques can be used...in WINDING Your (one or two or three twisted peacock herls...or or or 'ONE' ostrich herl...)....YOU can tie the herl in just behind the wing and GO / wind in the direction of the EYE and TIE OFF....or or or YOU can tie in just behind the eye and go 'upwards' towards the wing and tie off there...

but again I will do a effort to tie this same fly in the first days to come and try to make some shots when I come to that 'herlhead'...

psttttttttttttt I want to gift with allready tooooo that even I tie on a regular basis some of my 'mini MOM flies' on n° 8 hooks ...I rarely have tied some of MARY ORVIS MARBURY known patterns (for Bass or Trout)...who if I have it good are normally tied on reasonable (big) wide gaped hooks...

soooooooooo some patience please !

Geert

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#4 j8000

j8000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:07 PM

Why thank you, that is great.  I'm sure like most things, practice will improve it.  Herl heads just look a lot easier to do than it really is.  that makes sense about the hackle collar tied after the wing, I will keep that in mind too.  I am more comfortable in tying the wing last, but too much comfort leads to boring tying.

Thanks again,

Jeff

#5 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:32 PM

Dear JEFF,

Tied mine ("GREEN GLADE") as a 'crossbreed' ...between a normal wet fly and one of which I allways call myself ...one of my 'MINI MOM (ish) ones...

sooooooooo mine 'here' is not at all as a "GREEN GLADE" who is pictured in the drawings/bookplates  of MARY ORVIS MARBURY wonderful book !!!...so I didn't tied her on the correct hook, didn't tied her on a 'snell'...didn't went for the same wing/angle and lenght...

apart of all that...the photo's YOU see underneath of my take and mini SBS are 'autocorrected' a bit with my computer (wich I normally NOT DO AT ALL)...........the reason lays in the fact that the photo's where taken with my daughters 'her' camera.........

Last tuesday when I went fishing to my beloved little river (see my input in 'our' Lodge section)...my TEN Year old camera tumbled 'out of my hands' and into the river...this for perhaps 5 full seconds...resulting in a NO function since then (condention aswell lens error my camera indicates) ...luckely the 'ship' stayed intact...

The quality of the photo's what I obtained with my daughters camera are 'far' behind I obtained during all this years...(my daughters camera gifted me very weak sharpness and colour).   

Anyway enjoy the photo's...but realy realy sorry for the quality...and before I took the last three photo's I mangaged still to correct that little 'gap' in my tinsel of my 'tip/tag'.  I hope that the photo's come in the right order (I loaded them up in 'reverse order' to hopefully receive the 'good order' hahahahaha)

Geert...

PS...in short how I do my 'peacock herlheads' (and also when I have to do 'nice herl peacock bodies')

Yes using WAX on the platform (read between wing and eye of the hook)...then  simply snatch off three (3)  'sword herls' of a green peacock (they have that very nice GREEN)...tie them in on top between the eye and wing...TWIST them up (gently but fully !!! ) ...repeat twisting up when necessary (yes even that  those 'SWORD' peacock herls are short)...attention not loosing tension with winding on...and 'ready' is a nice peacock herlhead ...tying off with a 'half hitch tool (euh at least I use a half hitch tool most of the time)...and ofcourse  I am using again WAX on my thread to tie off  ...and I used wax also to tie in the 'peacock sword feathers'.    And again YOU could tie off on the head just behind the wing...or YOU can tie off on the 'eye'.   

Attached Files

#6 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:34 PM

JEFF and friends,

Unfortunatly my photo's don't come in the right 'order' ...sorry !!!

Geert

as a extra some photo's of my '10 year old death camera friend'

Attached Files

#7 j8000

j8000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:07 PM

Geert,

Thank you, that is useful information that I'll apply when I return from my camping adventure Tuesday.  I can see how the collar placed after the wing placement could be beneficial.  I will have to admit, I've only done that a few times, but with goose feathers I bet it wouldn't be too tough. 

I am sorry to hear about your camera.  I usually don't bring electronics with me fishing, even my watch is mechanical.  However, with the price of film developments, only a good digital cameral will do now a days.  So I have a very expensive one, I never take too close to water, and a lesser but still decent cameral I take on the canoe and other places.  But either of those cameras is very difficult to transfer to a computer, so my wife's old cell phone is what I use to share my armature flies with you folks here. 

But your photos came out just fine for me.  I haven't used sword herl in a long time, but have plenty around to use.  Next order I make I'm including ostrage herl.  I always use plenty of was, something your buddy Dale taught me and I use it always ever since.  I will try these out for sure as I have said, they have caught some good pan fish and I have been looking for a good pan fish fly for later this summer when they are the target! 

Thank you again!

Jeff

#8 SBPatt

SBPatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:09 AM

Beautiful flies, all. Geert, I took a "swim" with my camera once (a Canon point-and-shoot); my wife suggested I open the battery compartment (remove the battery but keep it with the camera) put it in a plastic sandwich bag filled with brown rice, seal it and forget about it for a week. Took it out 7 days later and it worked again - that was 5 years ago and it's the camera I still use. The battery doesn't hold a charge very well but that's a small trade off for a camera that still functions. Sorry to hijack the thread, but I don't want to see Geert's picture taking suffer, because we would, too. Regards, Scott