#1 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:15 PM

Hey Jim,

I love bamboo rods, fish, collect and restore them.  I know Dale has a couple of special rods as well.

What do you collect in Bamboo rods?

Period or maker?

Favorites and why?

Do you collect reels to match those rods?

#2 Bud Guidry

Bud Guidry

Ragin Cajun

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,415 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:23 PM

I have a boo

RAmidbuck.GIF
MY FLY PATTERN DATABASE

FOUNDER AND PRESIDENT OF THE OFFICIAL CLASSICS PAGE SLACKERS CLUB
HONORARY WINNER OF THE 2011 BIGGEST SLACKER AWARD

http://flyfishline.com/art_gallery2.php

My mind belongs to this forum
My heart belongs to my family
My soul belongs to my flies

#3 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:57 PM

Bud are you growing it like Ronn?

Jim has 20K of bamboo rods that doesn't fish, it must be an outstanding collection.

#4 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:05 PM

I have not collected any particular type or maker rods.  Just whatever whim took me.  I have a wonderful old pair of Leonard two handed salmon rods, for instance, in a period Vom Hofe wood/metal train case.  I have some Paynes. Other Leonards.  Some Orvis. Several by Colorado makers.  Some rods by modern makers.  Others.  I have restored and unrestored rods.  I even have one I built myself and fished in Alaska for Coho.  There are only six or so I keep with my fishin' tackle to be fished.  I occasionally load up the back of the truck with rods and head down to a local lake to cast them all.  I have a few old reels but so far have resisted collecting them!  (But I needed reels to keep silk lines on.)

If I knew how to add a photograph to this post, I would send along a picture from my reception area; there are seven rods hanging from eyes decorating the walls.

Darwin award winner of flytying

#5 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:04 PM

"Jim has 20K of bamboo rods that doesn't fish, it must be an outstanding collection."

As you know, nice bamboo rods can sell from a few hundred to maybe $10,000. (Seems like that is what Paul Schmookler was asking for a pristine Garrison a while back.)  I obviously do not have any Garrisons, as I probably have four/five dozen rods.  The most valuable are likely not worth much over $1500, so you may see it is not such an outstanding collection. I quit collecting when it occurred to me that I could easily sink hundreds of thousands into a really nice collection.  That I would not use.   I try to use my feathers....and a really nice collection can be had for "only" forty/fifty thousand.

#6 Bud Guidry

Bud Guidry

Ragin Cajun

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,415 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:42 PM

Yes royce, about 70 foot high, 3 inches thick at bases. Went to Audubon zoo years ago. Broke 2 nodes of giant bamboo the stuck them in my pocket, what you see pictured is what became of that theif

Attached Files

RAmidbuck.GIF
MY FLY PATTERN DATABASE

#7 Tidal

Tidal

Val Kropiwnicki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:55 PM

I have a collection that is one strong - J. D. Wagner 7'-9" 5-6wt Patriot series. It is a simple, honest and humble time machine that allways puts me in another frame of mind when I fish it. Jeff Wagner is a good dude too. I wish I could snare one of his new reels, man do I.

#8 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:36 PM

Bud - It would be interesting to whack one of those 3-4" canes off and see what the power fibers look like.

Jim - Thanks... and yes it can add up fast.  Please post some pictures at some point, I'd love to see them.

Val - Wagner makes some nice looking rods... I've never had the opp to cast one.

Ted - you fish some cane don't you?

Most of my bamboo has come and gone to new homes.  I've never experienced Gillium, Garrison, Howells or high end Payne just the mid market Leonard, Edwards, FE Thomas, Grangers, Orvis, Montague and Powell, and loved most of them. 

My fly tying interest in early American patterns from the turn of the century spurred my bamboo interest, I purpose to fish it all, some of it still needs some restoration work, here is a bit of CF Orvis from 1865/70 -1910

#9 Bud Guidry

Bud Guidry

Ragin Cajun

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,415 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:00 AM

Royce, walls are half to five eight inches thick, can't cut with machete, if you try a chainsaw sparks fly. This type of bamboo is said to be stronger than steel

RAmidbuck.GIF
MY FLY PATTERN DATABASE

#10 Troutmaddave

Troutmaddave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:24 AM

I only fish cane rods. I have 6 in total. A hardy and a sharps of Aberdeen double ganders, a couple of 9' hardy palacona perfections for still waters a Braddle of Belfast 11' and a 7 #3 for small streams. All my reels are hardy. My favourite is a 3 3/8th perfect. Fantastic sound.
I'd say I've spent less than 600 on the whole collection
Cheers
If I won the lotto I'd like a 7' hardy CC de France.

#11 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:39 AM

Interesting...I have 1 dozen bamboo rods...all trout size from 6'9" 3 weight to 8'0" 5 weight. At this point except for a Heddon Black Beauty Featherweight and a 70's vintage Leonard they are all from small rod builders like Weiler (still working) and L.C. Parks (retired from building) among others...and I fish them all.

I had several bamboos locked in my gun safe a few years ago that had not been fished for a good while. A friend made the statement - "If you're not fishing them, and if you're not a collector then why not turn them into cash". I thought about it and decided he was right...they were too valuable to fish...at least from my point of view.

Jim is correct on some of the pricing. I sold my 7'0" Garrison 201 for $9995.00, also a 7'6" Carmichael 206E for $7500.00. I bought both rods  brand new directly from the builders some 40+ years ago for a lot less than that. Nothing else quite in that range...but the buyers and collectors are out there and willing to part with whatever it takes to get what they want.

If you got'em...fish'em and enjoy'em...that's what they were built for. If you're not fishing with them...turn them into cash and piss away the money on featherstongue.png

Oh yea...I'm not going to get into the reels......

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#12 Troutmaddave

Troutmaddave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:40 PM

Generally, the smaller the rod, the bigger the price. Same goes for sofas!!!

#13 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 03:05 PM

George .. Garrison and a Carmichael from the makers, spectacular.  How different were they since they came from the same school?

#14 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:45 PM

"I bought both rods  brand new directly from the builders some 40+ years ago for a lot less than that." 

Time is getting away from us, George.  Garrison built rods until the year before his death in 1975.   I am not so sure about it being a lost less.  I remember thinking in 1974 that if I could just keep making $25,000/year I would be just fine.  I put my wife through med school at Emory on that pay. These days, when my wife complains about how expensive things have become, I just suggest she move the decimal point one numeral to the left.  THERE! 1974 price...

My favorite Garrison story along those lines involved him deciding he needed to buy a house for his family.  So he put his nose to the grindstone and made and sold a batch of rods over a year, then bought a house with the proceeds.

#15 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:45 PM

George .. Garrison and a Carmichael from the makers, spectacular.  How different were they since they came from the same school?

"I bought both rods  brand new directly from the builders some 40+ years ago for a lot less than that." 

Time is getting away from us, George.  Garrison built rods until the year before his death in 1975.   I am not so sure about it being a lost less.  I remember thinking in 1974 that if I could just keep making $25,000/year I would be just fine.  I put my wife through med school at Emory on that pay. These days, when my wife complains about how expensive things have become, I just suggest she move the decimal point one numeral to the left.  THERE! 1974 price...

My favorite Garrison story along those lines involved him deciding he needed to buy a house for his family.  So he put his nose to the grindstone and made and sold a batch of rods over a year, then bought a house with the proceeds.

Jim & Royce -

A long time fly fishing and hunting friend introduced me to a remarkable group of people in the very, very early 70's...including Everett Garrison, Hoagy Carmichael, Stanley Bogdan, Elsie & Harry Darbee as well as a host of others who all were fly tyers, rod builders, authors, etc...a truly remarkable time for me just by being in the right place and time to meet Leon...and hitting it off with him of course.

I sat in Mr. Garrison's living room after spending the morning with him and Leon as we discussed my needs for a rod. Nine months later I parted with $425.00 for that 7 footer...one happy guy. Again through Leon I met Hoagy who learned at the bench of Garrison of course and he built me my 7 1/2 footer which I got in 1976 for a mere $475.00. As far as comparing the 2 Royce...like 2 peas in a pod. Not to brag, but Hoagy once told me that was the best rod he ever built...whew!! There were other rods that came and went often on a whim...but my one regret is I've never owned a Payne.

For you Jim...my favorite Garrison story is about his rod known as the "rug beater". He was building a 7'3" 204E for a fellow. The rod was planed and glued when Garrison's wife saw it standing nearby, she took the butt into the yard and used it to beat the dust out of a rug. Needless to say the rod didn't handle that too well. He managed to repair the butt and thereafter used it for one of his personal rods. The customer got another rod started from scratch of course.

My friend Leon died 18 months ago after a long battle with cancer. We shared many fun, interesting and fine experiences together. He is the guy who got me started Atlantic Salmon fishing...and as they say the rest is history. He was a good friend and I've chosen to remember those good times instead of dwelling on his no longer being with us.

Hope I didn't bore you with all of this, but they are pleasant memories...to say the least.

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#16 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:17 PM

A great story George.   Thanks.

#17 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:45 PM

interesting post.  I do have a few, nothing worth talking about and have used some very good ones, but i frew up using a Shakespeare wonder rod ...we didn't use boo.  i guess fiber glass, and carbon fiber is in my blood.

Jm,  how does one take care of all those rods?  store them?  etc.

#18 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:08 AM

Agreed re your story George. Nice to hear the memories of your friend Leon again.
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#19 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:09 AM

"Jm,  how does one take care of all those rods?  store them?  etc."

I must say most suffer from benign neglect.  Or, I may discover, not so benign.  Likely the ones that are best cared for are the ones hanging, assembled, in my office.  They are kept perfectly straight all the time by their own weight.  And they are kept at the constant temperature/humidity of my office HVAC system.  The most valuable ones are in a gun/fire safe, upright in their bags and tubes that are also maintained at a constant temp/humidity.  Another batch of mid value is lashed to one wall of my closet, upright in their bags and tubes.  Another lower value batch are laying flat on a shelf in my shop.  But also kept at a fairly constant temp/humidity. (My shop is heated and air conditioned.)  Then, the ones that are most abused are the half dozen I keep to fish.  They are in my garage where the temperature/humidity vary with the season.  But, at least I keep an eye on these and so far they are doing OK.  It is on my list of things to do to put more of them in my reception area, assembled and hanging by a eyelet through the top guide.  I have found with the first batch I treated this way that any set curve that had happened to the rod straightens out over time.

#20 arkle

arkle

arkle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:18 AM

I stopped fishing small streams & brooks in the early 90's when our syndicate was outbid by another group who already held much of the river. So that, "kind-of" put an end to my liking for & use of cane.  At that time I had a Pezon Michell 8'5" Fario Club, & as it was near to xmas, someone offered me a (then) very good price for it - which was "useful" as I'd been out of work for a few months. 

I still have a Palakona 7'6" # 6. which has to be as nice a casting rod as I've ever owned/handled & a 6' 2 piece Farlow's midge, also a #6, though it's now about 5'11 as the tip ring decided to part company with the blank & need a few of the whippings re-done, a really "interesting" rod to get a 2 1/2lbs rainbow on !