4 replies to this topic

#1 Downdaline

Downdaline

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:03 AM

Does anyone have a center pair of white-tipped black tails they would sell?
Dave at 517 927 1977. Thanks

#2 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:37 AM

Whew...I wish you luck Dave. Probably 90% of the people on this site are always looking for the same thing.

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#3 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:45 PM

For the price, you will be best off buying a batch of feathers from the Chinese sellers on eBay.  And I should say that unless you are tying small flies, it is more likely the side pairs that will be better to acquire.  The long side will provide slips for larger flies.  The other thing to keep in mind is that each feather pair will only provide the proper under wing slip pairs for four flies.  So if that is the reason you are seeking them, you will want a bunch more than one pair of feathers!  I would say buy 40 feathers (20 pairs) to start.  They won't all provide good slips, but for the price you can't do better. 

After making several purchases, so I didn't wind up will all feathers from the same lot, I am not one of those tiers always seeking these.  I am stocked up!  I actually made a book of prepared slips and just pick a pair from the book when I need them.

Darwin award winner of flytying

#4 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:09 PM

There are a number of sellers.  Most use the same feather image.  I believe them all to be resellers, but I have never found the wholesaler.  Anyway, here is one sale:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/wholesale-10-50pcs-precious-wild-turkey-tail-feathers-6-12inches-15-30cm-NO-1-/292079060190?var=&hash=item440144c4de:m:m4rV4d-M2fiXe20oqY0ZVfQ

It has been a while, but I think you must request pairs.  And it is fifty rather than forty feathers you must buy.  But, hey, where else will you find them for less than a buck a feather?

Darwin award winner of flytying

#5 [email protected]

[email protected]

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:50 AM

I bought from the same seller about 6weeks ago on eBay and it should hopefully arrive in the next week or two. I bought 20 feathers but they couldn't match them up for me. Hopefully I'll get some decent feathers!