#2 Hywel

Hywel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 12:03 PM

Nice fly!

In a genre of patterns replete with otherwise eye-candy colors (said lovingly), it's nice to see a Steelie fly dressed in Olive.

Two questions?

Have you dressed a black hairwing variant - and do you think the pattern could be faced with Guinea or Silver Pheasant instead of Teal or Widgeon?

Is the 'light' version dressed with a lighter (or white) wing? OK...that's three questions. *g*
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

#3 CharlieD

CharlieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 12:22 PM

Steelheader69,

Very nice. Olive is a very good color in the great lakes. I will have to give this one a try.

Charlie.
Release-em-Alive!

#4 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 04:17 PM

Thanks for the replies. Actually, I only posted this so Will could see an easy spey fly to tie, that would work in the GL's. This was actually one that was scanned and tied on a standard fly hook (normally I tie on spey hooks). So not the streamlined look they normally have. Plus, the door of the scanner smashed it flat. LOL.

Actually, this fly started out as a hairwing. It's one I converted over to a spey. So yup, you could tie it that way. The original pattern simply had a black tail, olive body with gold ribbing, black collar, and black wing. Normally on most spey conversions, if it has a black wing, I use the black barred flank feathers like mentioned above. Don't like using the flank feathers dyed black, doesn't quite give it the same effect (my green butt skunk spey is tied with same flank feathers as well)

Onto the collars. You could use about anything. I have a big supply of wigeon and mallard flank, so vary between the two. But anything with white bars would do.