7 replies to this topic

#1 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

What are you nuts??........"Probably!"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,140 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:43 PM

Being "new" to hair wing style flies but hopefully improving with each few flies, how about some suggestions on some "beginner style" patterns that would help someone like me that is still somewhat learning to judge color combos/porportions and such to gain a little cofidence before attempting some of the more challenging patterns.

SD
IPB Image

#2 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 08:04 PM

A good suggestion Steve. Let me get with Jerry and see if we can come up with a format for beginners. I have some patterns in mind that build on the basic techniques. From what I've heard in other threads, proportions and working with floss seem to be universal hurdles that everyone has to get over. I think we can take that and build a series of step-by-step posts to address those problems.
"“The longer you live, the more you look around, the more you realize something is f****d up.” - George Carlin

#3 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 08:09 PM

Great Idea.

user posted image

#4 DFix

DFix

New and improved, guaranteed to handle 3.4 gigs of translation p

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 08:42 PM

Simple Skunks, Purple Perils, and so forth.

#5 luvinbluegills

luvinbluegills

And before he rested on the seventh day...he created the bluegil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 02:46 AM

Are there any flies that fit into this category that don't require some extinct, endangered, or downright dangerous animal in order to construct? smile.gif

I'm looking forward to learning from you guys!

#6 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 04:24 AM

You got the rusty rat that doesn't. Unless you have a killer squirrel with rabies and a blood thirsty peacock chasing you. laugh.gif

It'll be easy doing the "porportions" gig. We can do a "tips" thing, or simply address each as we go. Pretty easy to master each, just getting the info down.

#7 flyfishenvy

flyfishenvy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 07:41 PM

i gotta keep an eye on this thread. all this steelhead and salmon fly talk has me wanting to try my hand at them. the wife thinks they look pretty cool too.

hopefully i can get to the shop this weekend and get some salmon hooks, i just dont think they would look right on regular streamer hooks.

#8 vices

vices

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 02:59 PM

SD, tye up some elk wing caddis flys... there pretty easy to tye and very effective on the water... upto size 10 in the summer and as it gets colder you can downsize as far as 16's
cheers.gif