user posted image

#3 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 09:24 PM

Thanks. Still need to add the head cement to make it "purty" and shiny. LOL.

Actually, have a polar shrimp marabou spey I may add. It's an old pic (and wish I'd taken an actual pic vs. using the scanner), but still can see it pretty good.

#4 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

What are you nuts??........"Probably!"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,140 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 09:31 PM

Looks great Jerry i love the look of the hackle on speys like that thumbup.gif
IPB Image

#5 B.C.TroutHunter

B.C.TroutHunter

Tinky Winky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 04:48 PM

Very nice job SteelHeader! Since you seem to know about speys, I was wondering if you can help me with a problem (the rest of you spey and dee masters can also help me with this, if you want). A Dee fly recipe requires heron or blue eared pheasant for hackle, well I was wondering if it is possible to use spey if neither is availible?

#6 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 05:41 PM

Hmmmmm, spey? Do you mean spey hackle? Which company are you talking about? Is it like Harelines, Spirit river, etc's brand of spey hackle? Or is it the one by Anglers Workshop? The one from the rest of the companies is simply burnt goose feathers. And yes, you can use it (it's what I used in the fly above). Anglers workshop has a genetically made feather that is supposed to resemble the speycock from Scotland. It's like a schlappen. I have some, still haven't used it yet. But if it says speyhackle, use it. Just make sure it flows backwards.

#7 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 07:21 PM

Nice fly, Jerry.

BCT, "Spey" hackle has become a generic term for any hackle that has soft and long fibers. The original hackle from a Spey Cock is no longer available, so I use Schlappen which is as close as you're going to get to the original.

You generally will not find Heron hackle on spey flies, heron was historically reserved to Dee flies which were much larger than spey flies. Blue eared Pheasant is the normal sub for heron and Whiting has come out with a nice genetically bred sub for BEP. I've used the Whiting hackle and it works very well on smaller flies.
"“The longer you live, the more you look around, the more you realize something is f****d up.” - George Carlin

#8 Frank G. Swarner III

Frank G. Swarner III

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 07:37 PM

Very Nice tie Jerry. Beautiful long flowing hackles.

Chip
I heard daddy tell momma.......let that boy boogie woogie!!

http://glspeydee.blogspot.com/

#9 B.C.TroutHunter

B.C.TroutHunter

Tinky Winky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (Steelheader69 @ Aug 17 2004, 10:40 AM)
Hmmmmm, spey? Do you mean spey hackle? Which company are you talking about? Is it like Harelines, Spirit river, etc's brand of spey hackle? Or is it the one by Anglers Workshop? The one from the rest of the companies is simply burnt goose feathers. And yes, you can use it (it's what I used in the fly above). Anglers workshop has a genetically made feather that is supposed to resemble the speycock from Scotland. It's like a schlappen. I have some, still haven't used it yet. But if it says speyhackle, use it. Just make sure it flows backwards.

BCT, "Spey" hackle has become a generic term for any hackle that has soft and long fibers. The original hackle from a Spey Cock is no longer available, so I use Schlappen which is as close as you're going to get to the original.

You generally will not find Heron hackle on spey flies, heron was historically reserved to Dee flies which were much larger than spey flies. Blue eared Pheasant is the normal sub for heron and Whiting has come out with a nice genetically bred sub for BEP. I've used the Whiting hackle and it works very well on smaller flies.

Yes I am refering to spey hackle, and I want to try my luck at dees since my fly shop doesn't have Blue Eared Pheasant (but I am going to check if they can special order it for me). Should I use spey or schlappen if they cannot speical order BEP for me?

#10 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 08:10 PM

You can use either. They both provide a different look. I actually use both, well, all three (burnt goose, schlappen, and BEP). Be careful with BEP, most is harvested from younger birds, and the hackle quality isn't that great. I have a bunch that I got for free which came from an older bird that had passed. I looked at it compared to some of the store bought stuff I had. It was night and day difference (think the bird the free stuff came from was like 5-6 years old). The hackles were stronger and easier to work then the stuff at the stores (which looked like feathers off his younger birds that I saw at his aviary). So think they harvest what they can as fast as they can. But know I get really ticked working with the store bought stuff I have. But that older birds stuff, YEAH BABY!.

But buy a package of each and try it out. Find out what YOU like. I vary it up. If I'm tying in a "glasso" style, I really prefer the burnt goose, mostly because how nicely it flares out around the wing. But when I want to fold down the hackles and put a bronze mallard wing, I like BEP or schlappen, since I've had better luck folding the feathers down.

Anglers Workshop here locally to me (and is known by a few worldwide) has an awesome flytying selection for atlantics/speys. They supposedly have a hackle that is like the speycock. I have some, still want to use it (never got it out). Is very similar to schlappen.

#11 B.C.TroutHunter

B.C.TroutHunter

Tinky Winky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 10:31 PM

Thanks. Does Anglers Workshop have a web site?

#12 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 10:38 PM

http://www.distantwa..._aw/aw_home.asp
user posted image

#13 Black Ghost

Black Ghost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 12:38 AM

SH69 very nice as usual, but please I don tie speys until the dead of winter and then I never end fishing many of them since they are too pretty to lose. LOL Why use them when a big bunny leech or simple nymph will do the job ?

BG

#14 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 06:22 AM

BG? As in Hal? Wondered when you'd show up here.

Well, you know me, I prefer to use a bunny leech. But I LOVE tying speys. Since I tie enough, I do like to fish them occasionally. But when it becomes dire, I pull out the pink bunny leech. You know that. wink.gif

#15 Black Ghost

Black Ghost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 02:58 AM

Yep Pink Bunny leech is now a stable in my fly wallett and plastic bags. LOL

A cerise one works well too along with the purples and blacks.

Too many fly sites not enough time.

BG

#16 Hywel

Hywel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 11:28 AM

"Actually, have a polar shrimp marabou spey I may add."

As Marabou is one of my favorite tying materials and the Polar Shrimp one of my favorite flies - I can't wait to see your post!

Hywel
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."