Attached Files

#2 Tidal

Tidal

Val Kropiwnicki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:00 PM

Awesome group Royce. Upper right, the tail slip orientation, is that how the are depicted on the plate? Man, they do look minnow tail like the way you showed them. The type face used to title the book is crazy cool too.

#3 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:21 PM

Thanks Royce. What hook?
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#4 bags6lax

bags6lax

Stow, MA USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:21 PM

the top left..."Manchester" I believe?  I tied and used that pattern a bunch this year...a true fish catcher.  Excellent group of pics.

Do you build the bodies up?  I always wondered how the vintage patterns got so fat with just silk gut, and silk thread.  The reverse tied wings probably helped build them up a bit, but still some were seriously fat!  

-Matt

#5 dgotz

dgotz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:34 PM

Royce:  As Matt mentioned, this is a great grouping; both in terms of variety and the quality of the tying.  Cheney spent a lot of time in Glens Falls NY, close to where I grew up.  Many of the flies of that era were titled after waters I'm familiar with.  Always thought it would be neat idea to tie and fish these patterns in their namesake waters

gotz 

#6 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:50 PM

i love it when someone knows how to put stuff on a hook...dale  there are two different hooks therethe blued one looks very familiar to me... the bronzed no

#7 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,050 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:26 PM

VK - I did these from a picture of the original tying / book board.  That's why the Imperial is a light red almost pink (vs red in the book plate), and the white and JC is a round feather vs a slip.  Yes the splits are actually split not sure if that is intentional or handling.   Many of the splits on the boards are not matched which to me makes sense when fishing them ... lots of movement on unmatched splits vs matched.   

DD A mixture of hooks, all sproats, Bartleet, Allcock, Mustad.

Matt- I've never fished the pattern but it seems that it should be killer.  SM bass?   So on this type of fly that I've dissected, it's either been hard wool (vs soft like alpaca) or heavy silk like the early wood spooled pearsals stout.  So I've tried to replicate that

DG - "Fly genesis fishing" - exactly.  I've been chasing some CFO history and fishing the Battenkill and Eq pond with a CFO cane, reel and fly are on the bucket list.

Ted you tied a salmon fly when you were out here years ago, feather wing that had unmatched feathers and completely different feathers on the two sides ... do you remember what that pattern was?

#8 bags6lax

bags6lax

Stow, MA USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:33 PM

Matt- I've never fished the pattern but it seems that it should be killer.  SM bass?   So on this type of fly that I've dissected, it's either been hard wool (vs soft like alpaca) or heavy silk like the early wood spooled pearsals stout.  So I've tried to replicate that

Super!  I've always wondered if it was wrapped with something fat to build it up, thanks for confirming.

I fished the manchester in two sizes, a 1/0 and about a size 6....largemouths and panfish on my local river down the street from my house.  

-Matt

#9 j8000

j8000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:50 PM

Very nice looking flies!!  Middle right is my favorite.

#10 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:28 PM

Ted you tied a salmon fly when you were out here years ago, feather wing that had unmatched feathers and completely different feathers on the two sides ... do you remember what that pattern was?

royce sorry but i don't remember what i had for breakfast....although it doesn't sound like it was a published patternn  we were probably screwing around...then again there are dressing that say single slips and single inner wings  etc...