• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Slarssen

Slarssen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:13 PM

So, I'm new here, and I'm a beginner salmon fly tier. I've been stalking around here for some time, looking and getting inspired to try new techniques and patterns. A lot of really good flies to get inspired from here.

So today I unleashed my tyingthread on one of Blackers Spirit flies, the second. Did not look so difficult just reading through the material list, but boy was I wrong. This might be the hardest fly I tried!

I'm not very skilled yet but I'm tying a lot of flies nowadays and I am having a great time doing these old style classics while trying to understand and handling different techniques like mixed wings, built wings and married wings. I feel somewhat capable doing married wings, but for this fly I wanted to do it as a built wing, adding single strips of each individual materials at a time. This was very hard to do right.

So I thought I would like to try and share this here with you guys and get som proper feedback so please do come with any comments or thoughts you have.

Tied on a size 3 Limeric hook. The wing is heavily substituted as I don't want to use expensive and rare materials just yet while I'm still learning. And for the Puce colored silk I simply used black. 

I wish I made the wing longer, so to match blackers drawing more. Also, I think I should have used a bigger hook (it is supposed to be a size 3 but it measures like a 1.5 on one of those hook scales).

Attached File  DSCF1621.JPG   91.26K   126 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1623.JPG   83.32K   129 downloads

#2 Jim_Montgomery

Jim_Montgomery

Vero Beach, FL USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:09 PM

Welcome to the forum. You are among the best and I am sure help will be forth coming.

You mentioned that this fly should have been tied on a larger hook. The reference calls for a size 1 or 2. This is referring to the Ephemeria scale circa 1850. Thus equates to an 8/0 in today's measure.

If you going to pursue Blackers patterns I would suggest getting a copy of Bob Frandsen's book "The Blacker Compendium" or you can check William Blacker, The Blacker Project on Facebook.

Just remember Blackers style was longish flat tails and sparce wings. To him the body was the main concern.

What color is puce? This will make you go crazy.

Need help just holler.

Jim

Phlies and Photos
The Ninja Fly Tier

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley. ~Author Unknown

#3 Flynewbrunswick

Flynewbrunswick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:12 PM

Yessir!, I think your proportions are spot on.Very well tied. Ribbing is excellant. smooth body. Good job keep it up!!

Chris

#4 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,383 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:50 PM

Welcome! This is a very good entry. Like Jim said lots of material on a small hook. But I doubt Blacker would mind. Where are you in the world? Sure look forward to more of your flies. Dale By the way, the Blacker Compendium, the book Jim referred to, is a book I wrote and published. Copies available at riverforkpress.com
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#5 Troutmaddave

Troutmaddave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:25 PM

Welcome to the forum. Nice entry fly, solid tying. Practice, practice.
Blackers compendium is a great reference by the way
Cheers
Dave

#6 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just Livin' The Dream

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:13 AM

Welcome to the forum...great bunch of people here. Knowledgeable, generous with that knowledge and overall a friendly bunch. Lord knows how much I have benefited from their tips, help and guidance.

That being said...great entry into this world of classic flies Slarssen. Lots to like here, and Mr Montgomery is...among a few others...the resident master of this style of tying...in my opinion.

Listen to what he has to say!!!

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#7 Ronn Lucas

Ronn Lucas

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,734 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:44 AM

Welcome to the forum! Pull up a chair, pour yourself a cup of coffee and have a doughnut........the apple fritters are mine! Nice entry too. The plastic hook scales don't give you a good hook size. All they do is measure shank length. Jim is right about the right size hooks Blacker tied his flies on. A Phillips number 3 is about a 9/0 in today's sizes. Just for practicing on smaller hooks might serve you better than large ones. 

Happy Trails!
Ronn

My Website
http://www.ronnlucassr.com/
APPLE FRITTER BANDIT

#8 arkle

arkle

arkle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:54 AM

Wow, there's a huge amount to like here & perhaps not the easiest pattern to start with but it look's like you're well on the way. Great to have you with us.

#9 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just Livin' The Dream

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 01:28 PM

Ronn is correct about the plastic hook scales. John McLain of FeathersMC has a hook sizing scale that gives accurate information regarding hook size along with shank length...when properly used. Great addition to anyone's tying tools.

Petri Heil,

George

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#10 Slarssen

Slarssen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:14 AM

Thanks guys, for the warm welcome and kind words! Looking foreward spending some time here. Might be I'll start asking technical questions in your posts from now on!

I've ordered the book, thanks for the advice. I only have some of the old classic books in digital format, so a modern interpretion will come in handy. I live in Trondheim, Norway (my tying bench have actual view over 'The Nid' smile.png

I'm sorry to say don't do much fishing for salmon now these last 15 years. Mostly doing trout in lakes. I enjoy flytying as a mesmerizing and relaxing hobby. Tying flies for friends and family.

As to hook size, I guess this is a huge topic in itself... 8/0 is definetley huge in my mind, and too huge for my current stock of materials. Blacker says hook sizes 6 or 9, Limerick and using a conversion table I found at ClassicFlytying.net I somehow surmized the 6 (or was it the 9?) was close to a 1/0, so the closest thing I had was a 1.5 (I thought smile.png )

Anyway, looking at the fly now again I see that this hook is really small for this fly. I should have dressed the wing more sparsley, like you point out. Also the tail much longer and flatter.  

So I yesterday I launched into a new no.2 fly, this time on an 3/0 hook. i'm still working on it but here is a picture from the work ongoing. I'm now having problems with the wood duck and mallard to sit straight and not flare outwards on my near side. I might try thread reversal...

Attached File  20170812_084738.jpg   141.03K   31 downloads

#11 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,383 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:53 PM

Thank you for the introduction and information! It sounds and looks like you are a thoughtful skilled fly tier. We're happy that you are here. This fly is looking good. Flat tying surfaces are helpful to keep materials straight and where you put them. I've heard people say they flatten the sides of the head with pliers before mounting sides. I hope others read and respond. Most of the time it seems like a good idea to begin a new topic with each new fly. I don't know how often others return to a thread they've already read. Your home setting sounds beautiful! Please give your family my best. Dale

#12 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just Livin' The Dream

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:58 PM

Ditto to what Dales has said...especially the part about beginning a new thread/post when starting a new fly and/or subject. You will get much better and quicker responses that way.

Petri Heil,

George

#13 Barkworth

Barkworth

____ Robert Verkerk ____ ClassicFlyTying.net

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:31 PM

the Blacker Compendium, the book Jim referred to, is a book I wrote and published. Copies available at riverforkpress.com

Bob Frandsen wrote the Blacker Compendium. Not Dale A. Darling.

Rv-

www.ClassicFlyTying.net

the reference guide for traditional salmon fly tying...

#14 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,383 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:14 AM

Wrong. Bob tied the flies. I wrote made and published the book. But who cares?

#15 Barkworth

Barkworth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:23 AM

As an artist and commercial music producer, successful I might add, I can inform you that publishers that take credit for another man's work is considered a very big deal indeed. To answer your question, I have had publishers weasel their way into my copyrights. So I care, especially with Bob being absent. But if you wrote it, then you are entitled to credit, of course, and I duly apologise. The book says you are the editor though, which means that you have prepared Bob's work for publication. Bob also holds the copyright. That makes Bob the author, according to the book. So your claims contradict the book credits. The credits that you wrote, and edited. 

Rv-

www.ClassicFlyTying.net

#16 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,383 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:35 PM

I wanted to give Bob credit because it was the flies and Bob's work that mattered to me. I might have made four cents an hour for the work I did on the book, but that's probably a reach. I still hope the book entertains and inspires tying friends. Let it go Robert. Okay?

#17 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:44 PM

As an artist and commercial music producer, successful I might add, I can inform you that publishers that take credit for another man's work is considered a very big deal indeed. To answer your question, I have had publishers weasel their way into my copyrights. So I care, especially with Bob being absent. But if you wrote it, then you are entitled to credit, of course, and I duly apologise. The book says you are the editor though, which means that you have prepared Bob's work for publication. Bob also holds the copyright. That makes Bob the author, according to the book. So your claims contradict the book credits. The credits that you wrote, and edited. 

Rv-

It might occur to you that both Dale and Bob felt tying the flies deserved a claim of authorship over writing the copy.   It's also within the realm of reason the Dale "ghosted" some of Bob's suggestions for copy.  In any event, you might do well to follow your own advice and not call jump to conclusions without first asking for details.  That arrangement has been shared previously.

Darwin award winner of flytying

#18 Barkworth

Barkworth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:19 PM

I wanted to give Bob credit because it was the flies and Bob's work that mattered to me. I might have made four cents an hour for the work I did on the book, but that's probably a reach. I still hope the book entertains and inspires tying friends. Let it go Robert. Okay?

It is just consequential confusion. Thank you for explaining yourself. Yes, we're letting it go now.

Rv-

www.ClassicFlyTying.net

#19 get bent

get bent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:24 AM

let's argue more about puce.

nice fly, I like the tail and crest arrangement and often tie that way myself.

so I'm going to take credit for that...

cheers,

shawn

curing cancer... one fly at a time.