So, I'm new here, and I'm a beginner salmon fly tier. I've been stalking around here for some time, looking and getting inspired to try new techniques and patterns. A lot of really good flies to get inspired from here.
So today I unleashed my tyingthread on one of Blackers Spirit flies, the second. Did not look so difficult just reading through the material list, but boy was I wrong. This might be the hardest fly I tried!
I'm not very skilled yet but I'm tying a lot of flies nowadays and I am having a great time doing these old style classics while trying to understand and handling different techniques like mixed wings, built wings and married wings. I feel somewhat capable doing married wings, but for this fly I wanted to do it as a built wing, adding single strips of each individual materials at a time. This was very hard to do right.
So I thought I would like to try and share this here with you guys and get som proper feedback so please do come with any comments or thoughts you have.
Tied on a size 3 Limeric hook. The wing is heavily substituted as I don't want to use expensive and rare materials just yet while I'm still learning. And for the Puce colored silk I simply used black.
I wish I made the wing longer, so to match blackers drawing more. Also, I think I should have used a bigger hook (it is supposed to be a size 3 but it measures like a 1.5 on one of those hook scales).