• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JerriB

JerriB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 08:57 PM

Fishing question, if I may. I have credit card points and I would like to get an Orvis Battenkill reel, but the size available is 1-3 wt. If I would put a 4wt line on that, with no backing, do you think it would be okay? Or... I have a 4wt rod, do you think I could go with a 3wt line on that, if I go with a line that is said to load one size larger? It would be for moderate size stream fishing, dries, nymphs, wets, mostly #8-28.

PS, I poste dthis here as it gets more traffic than the other forums. Hope that is okay for a one off thread. 

#2 Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 01:04 PM

why not get a battenkill II in a 3-5 weight and use the proper amount of backing?

https://www.orvis.com/p/battenkill-fly-reels/7h9p

aka - flytire (had to register under new user name)

#3 Alex Hayes

Alex Hayes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 04:14 AM

If you can't get the matching weight reel I would say it would be a much better idea to put the 4 wt. line on the 1-3 wt. reel rather than use 3 wt. line on a 4 wt. rod. For the style of fishing you're doing, you probably won't really need much backing anyway. The reel just functions to hold the line as you know, so if you can get it on there it should work fine, but the rod may not cast well if you use a lighter weight line. Hope that's a little helpful!

"There is no must in art because art is free"

-Wassily Kandinsky

#4 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:59 PM

One other thought...assuming you are using a weight forward line, simply cut 10 feet  or so off the end that attaches to the reel. I've done this more times than I remember.

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me