1 reply to this topic

#1 QCflies

QCflies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:20 AM

With in the last several days the small creek below my house has become filled with spawning Coho salmon. The creek itself drains a series of small lakes and ponds. The main lake, Question lake, sits about 400 yds up stream from my house. Below my house the creek slows to a series of meandering channels and beaver ponds. The salmon have navigated about 75 miles up the Susitna River, a huge glacial river that spills into the Cook Inlet and the Pacific Ocean. From there they have negotiated about 10 miles of tributary to get to this point. Many will head even further up from here to continue their quest for the last hoorahs!

At night Black and Grizzly bears frequent the banks about 70 feet from my house plucking the struggling salmon out of the water as the hop over the small log jams.

A side note: Dozens of small Rainbow trout swarm around these bruits picking up stray eggs. They range from the very small 4" to medium 14". They still take dries too!

[attachmentid=16018]
The Spawning Grounds-Question creek
[attachmentid=16019][attachmentid=16020][attachmentid=16021]

Attached Files

Whichever way your pleasure tends, if you plant ice you're gonna' harvest wind

#2 willowhead

willowhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,300 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:34 AM

"Spawn til you die." ................"My Sentiments Exactly." biggrin.gif Thankx for sharin' the great pics........you a highly fortunate man..................highly. wink.gif ........................ laugh.gif ...........right. rolleyes.gif ................ tongue.gif...................... hysterical.gif
Mark J. Romero
94 Yorktown Road
Roscoe, N.Y. 12776-5017
607-498-9944 or
82 Stone Dog Lane
Lakeview, Arkansas 72642
870-431-8955
www.JazzMarkGallery.com
Swallows Nest Fly Tyers