#1 James Daly

James Daly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:00 PM

Greetings all,
So, I've used this time that I've had off of work to delve into the Natural Colorant Products side of dye processing. Thanks to a very generous and knowledgeable mentor, I've had the opportunity to mess around with some different materials and try my hand at coloring feathers. I've typically stuck to Mohair, Wool and such for dubbing. This is a new venture and I think it was successful. I don't think it can get any more classic than Swan feathers dyed using the methods prescribed by the master William Blacker. For your critique and amusement. -Jamie

[attachmentid=16233]

Attached Files

<!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->And Jesus said unto them, "Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men". <b><i>The Book of St. Mark -1:17</i></b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who so ever sheds man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed. For in the image of God, made he man. <b><i>Genesis 9:6</i></b>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->"There is a pleasure in angling that no one knows but the Angler himself" <b><i>-William Blacker</i></b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<b>I have found, recently, that it is a good move on the flyfisherman's part to invest in a shed, garage or any other structure that is not connected to the main living quarters. Primarily as a respite, but also to quell any beatings, both verbal and physical that come from the feminine co-inhabitor. This, after finding dye, waxes and animal bi-products littered all over the kitchen, as well as the ceiling. A word to the wise.........don't use the good pots. -Jamie Daly</b>

#2 McIntyre

McIntyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE(James Daly @ Oct 3 2008, 11:00 PM) View Post

Greetings all,
So, I've used this time that I've had off of work to delve into the Natural Colorant Products side of dye processing. Thanks to a very generous and knowledgeable mentor, I've had the opportunity to mess around with some different materials and try my hand at coloring feathers. I've typically stuck to Mohair, Wool and such for dubbing. This is a new venture and I think it was successful. I don't think it can get any more classic than Swan feathers dyed using the methods prescribed by the master William Blacker. For your critique and amusement. -Jamie

[attachmentid=16233]

That looks great James!

Wanna trade for some goose shoulders? laugh.gif
Oddbjørn Midbø

#3 Isonychia

Isonychia

John McCoy, Huntington, West Virginia, USA

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:36 PM

Great looking feathers! Now your assignment is to use them in a Blacker pattern. I'd suggest one of the Ghost Flies. devil.gif

John

Offending the sensibilities of discerning trout since 1955

#4 QCflies

QCflies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:40 PM

Jamie,

Truly taking it to another level. Ultra-retro!! As I was driving back from the Post office on a snowy October afternoon pondering classics, tying and materials I was thinking about all you hand tiers. I still can't even fathom tying a classic in hand. With a vise, bobbin and both hands most of us barely manage a decent outcome. But the likes of yourself, Long and others turn out these amazing flies tied in hand. Now with the addition of traditionally died Swan and other materials your flies will assume a whole new air. An off the plates of PT, Kelson, Hardy, Tolfrey etc. I can't wait to see these tied in. Hand, vise, teeth whatever.

Where these from Mute swans? The Trumpeter's are still hanging out around here despite the snow and freezing temps at night.
[attachmentid=16235]
Hey give me my feathers back (taken yesterday)

The colors are great. Any natural for a dark Claret out there? As a side note I'm listening to some excellent Doc Watson and thinking about the good ole' days.

Good on ya'
Doug

Attached Files

Whichever way your pleasure tends, if you plant ice you're gonna' harvest wind

#5 G. Paul

G. Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:21 AM

Jamie,

I have never held swan feathers. What are they like? Are they hard and firm like turkey or are they soft and pliable like goose? Were they used for the classics simply because of their size or was there another reason?

Many thanks.

G. Paul
Hamilton, Ontario
Canada

#6 Ronn Lucas

Ronn Lucas

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,301 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 03:47 AM

Looks cool Jamie!!!!!
Happy Trails!
Ronn

My Website
http://www.ronnlucassr.com/
APPLE FRITTER BANDIT

#7 bobfly

bobfly

Bob Frandsen. East Gippsland. Victoria. Australia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 05:42 AM

I think you should send them down here to have them tested in Southern atmospheric conditions rolleyes.gif They look like they could use it cool.gif
On the why they were used a lot, I think Kelson said something about a certain amount of transluscency somewhere in his writings for one thing.
Cheers

#8 Dave Carne

Dave Carne

You can't aim high when hunting midgets

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,302 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 06:16 AM

Lovely colours JD - specially the madder pink - did you do the 'boil for about six months' thing?

IMO GOOD swan (almost impossible to get - JD's blue feather is good stuff) is the best winging material there is - dyes superbly, marries fantastically (better than any other material apart from bustard), isn't plasticky and stiff like turkey (and doesn't have stress bars) or floppy like goose - but if you wanna tie over 3/0 forget it.

Dave

#9 willowhead

willowhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,300 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:17 AM

BEAUTIFUL Jamie.............. shades.gif
Mark J. Romero
94 Yorktown Road
Roscoe, N.Y. 12776-5017
607-498-9944 or
82 Stone Dog Lane
Lakeview, Arkansas 72642
870-431-8955
www.JazzMarkGallery.com
Swallows Nest Fly Tyers

#10 sky-pilot

sky-pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:26 AM

Looks great JD biggrin.gif
All the best

Kjell-Ove

http://www.ronnlucassr.com/karlsen.htm
winner of the 2012 sexiest fly tyer award

#11 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 08:43 AM

Looking beautiful mr. D.

#12 thunder

thunder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:58 AM

Hi jamie,
Lovely colours! I have a bunch of natural white Swan shoulder feathers.
Think I will send them to you for dying. whistling.gif
I FISH
THEREFORE I´AM

#13 James Daly

James Daly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:03 PM

Thanks Everybody!!

DC- The Madder Scarlet or Pinkish was looking good until I got the bright idea to add Tin to the mixture. It was Madder and a touch of cochineal. I dried it off and looked at it, thought to myself I want a brighter red. Aha, add tin! VOILA, PINK! 4 hours boil and I get pink! LOL!! Thanks again! -Jamie
<!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->And Jesus said unto them, "Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men". <b><i>The Book of St. Mark -1:17</i></b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who so ever sheds man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed. For in the image of God, made he man. <b><i>Genesis 9:6</i></b>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->"There is a pleasure in angling that no one knows but the Angler himself" <b><i>-William Blacker</i></b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<b>I have found, recently, that it is a good move on the flyfisherman's part to invest in a shed, garage or any other structure that is not connected to the main living quarters. Primarily as a respite, but also to quell any beatings, both verbal and physical that come from the feminine co-inhabitor. This, after finding dye, waxes and animal bi-products littered all over the kitchen, as well as the ceiling. A word to the wise.........don't use the good pots. -Jamie Daly</b>

#14 WaterWolf

WaterWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:09 PM

Jamie - Too cool that you are dying "old world" technique and they look great!!! I was thinking of dying some golden yellow feathers recently using tumeric for a specific pattern (hen pheasant dyed yellow) - any advice on how?

Regards
Lee

#15 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:21 PM

Lee ... .would that be for a purple emperor? Looking at that Kelson pattern last night.

#16 FeathersMc

FeathersMc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:53 PM

Jamie
I'm very impressed, keep up the good work.
John
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

#17 Charlie Vestal

Charlie Vestal

Lakewood, Colorado

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:37 PM

Lee,

Dyeing with turmeric is easy. I've got a write-up on the feathersmc web site that gives the recipe and conditions.

Charlie
Chemical Engineering: Solving problems you didn't know you had, in ways you don't understand ......

#18 WaterWolf

WaterWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 01:35 AM

You got it Royce biggrin.gif !!!

Thanks Charlie... I'll check John Mc's site for the article.

Cheers
Lee