4 replies to this topic

#1 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:16 PM

I just spent a couple of hours reading the book "Megan Boyd - The story of a salmon fly dresser" by Derek Mills and Jimmy Younger. I must say it was a most pleasurable read by all accounts. She was no doubt a most interesting character in every sense of the term...as well as a lovely, warm, kind and generous person to all she knew and met over the many years she worked dressing Atlantic Salmon flies for her customers from all over the world. The few people I know who had the good fortune to visit with her in Scotland have always referred to her in those same glowing words. While I have the good fortune to own some of her flies, sadly I must say I never got the chance to meet her.

One picture in the book I must comment on among the black and white photos. It shows Ms. Boyd with 'two burly American friends from the states'. On our right (her left) is my good friend Robert Selb, owner of The Classic Fly Fisherman in Lansdale, Pennsylvania and on our left (her right) is another person whose company I've had the pleasure of enjoying...none other than Ron Alcott...author of "Building Classic Salmon Flies" They both speak in almost reverent terms when they talk about their visit to her home in Scotland.

If any of you have the opportunity go ahead and treat yourself...buy and read this delightful little book.

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#2 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:40 PM

Dear GEORGE,

Thanks for this nice 'input'...

Ah 'past' december I bought the book allready...and ofcourse 'readed it' as YOU did....intensly and with inner JOY !!!

My Belgium 'mentor' Bruno J. was also a firm firm 'admirer' of her flies !!! (he recalls time and time again that he 'was' sick after he had lost a  bid for 'one' of HER flies...and this on one of the first held DUTCH FLY FAIR'sss (more than  thirty years back now)...ah he still says and is convinced that the 'organisation' had promised allready Megan her  fly...to the former 'President of the Grayling Society' (United Kingdom)

Ah Bruno has enough vintage flies and 'first editon' books to make everyone jalous uphere...'my Nathalie' wouldn't be Bruno his wife (and that Nathalie tells/says me at least once a month hahahahaha)...

Euh exactly seven years back (february 2010) I tied a BRORA (ah I was justed started and in a sense i didn't DID justice to 'one of her favorit patterns...but I gift the forum still a 'old photo' I stocked in my photofiles...ah would tie this fly a lot better now ...but we can't put back the past....but but but I DON'T LOVE LESS the fact that MEGAN BOYD rest in 'our' hearts...and will rest popular in 'history' of 'our all hobby'

Greetings to Your Linda !!!

Geert and Nathalie

Attached Files

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#3 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:26 PM

Dear Geert,

You sound like a man who truly understands what I was trying to put into a few words. Someone who has a deep appreciation and love of this great sport of fly fishing and fly tying, as well as the long fine history of literature, special people and special places...some of the most beautiful spots on earth.

Just a lovely rendition of her Brora pattern my friend. Your skills are on full display with that fly!!!  By the way...I do like the scissors you are using biggrin.png 

Our best to you and Nathalie !!!!!!

Cheers,

George

PS - Beware...my next detailed read and critique is  a certain "GEWE" book wink.png

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#4 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:30 PM

Good stuff. Historic perspective can be useful.

Thanks George and Geertie - nice fly. I think I remember it: you were already BOLD!!!
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#5 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:24 AM

Thanks for recommendation George. I have requested a copy and after I have a look through my plans are to give it to a young woman who has fallen head over heals for the magic of fly tying. Which is a mighty rare thing these days.