10 replies to this topic

#1 Bud Guidry

Bud Guidry

Ragin Cajun

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,402 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:29 PM

I know you have all heard it. They tied much smaller flies back in the day. You think that now we tying hugh flies they catching bigger salmon?
You salmon fishing fanatics, what's the biggest hook or fly you've caught a salmon on?

RAmidbuck.GIF
MY FLY PATTERN DATABASE

FOUNDER AND PRESIDENT OF THE OFFICIAL CLASSICS PAGE SLACKERS CLUB
HONORARY WINNER OF THE 2011 BIGGEST SLACKER AWARD

http://flyfishline.com/art_gallery2.php

My mind belongs to this forum
My heart belongs to my family
My soul belongs to my flies

#2 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:43 PM

1/0 double low water partridge. The St.John is a huge river when its full of water. Funny thing is they were both about 5lb grilse, the hook was as big as the fish almost. Very interesting topic Bud, cant wait to hear some more answers

Stephen

#3 Luc

Luc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:28 PM

Summer 1/0 is the largest I've hooked on, fall about 3/0, spring 5/0-6/0 but never pushed it further... Interestingly Atlantic salmon from different rivers in the same general area (province of NB) will be attracted to different size flies. Restigouche fish will generally take on larger flies than Miramichi fish. As with all of Atlantic salmon fishing, only one true rule, your fly has to be in the water... As for the size of the fly affecting size of Atlantic salmon, my personal experience does not support this theory. Luc

#4 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:58 PM

Agreed Luc. My largest salmon was 48 and a half inches caught on a size 8 deer hair bug on the St.John. They loved small flies but when the river was high we went large,usually a no2 or 4 double for the fast water

Stephen

#5 Troutmaddave

Troutmaddave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 06:48 AM

Hi
13lbs Autumn fish on a 2/0 jock scott. 20 mins scrap. Really tested my 12' sharpest split cane rod. The guy I was fishing with caught a 17lb one on the same day in the same place on a size 12 bibio trout fly. Think about the logic there and fly choise when setting up!!!
Cheers
Dave

#6 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:43 AM

...Thanks for the 'feedback'...it's allways interesseting...

ah when I was over for my 'small week' with RYAN HOUSTON in Northern Ireland...

well the river we fished on monday before it became in real spate...we fished it with a triple 10 on the point and and a triple 14 on the 'dropper' !!!...WITH SUCCESS 

but with the river who was the day after on tuesday 'swollen' and 'rolling'...it was other 'fishing'...sinking tip and tubes with flies up to 2 to two and half inches...WITH SUCCESS

psttttttttttttttttttttttttt and now not serious anymore ...I hooked and even landed  a 'GREY BACK' of around seven feet when over in Colorado in 2013...and this on a 'miniscule' size eighteen Belgium 'dry fly' ...read on one of my  "Universelle' flies...sooooooooo also with SUCCESS..........but wouldn't recommand to anyone to fish so small for 'grey backs'...hahahahaaaa

Geert

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#7 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:29 PM

Had to think about this one a moment...

It was a  #2 Durham Ranger. A 19 pound fish from the Little Nictau Pool on Tobique River and my first on a classic tied by me

A 22+ pound fish on a #4 Bomber tied on a 3X long hook makes for one helluva big fly. My first on a dry and it came from Spring Rock Pool on the Dartmouth River.

Thanks for bringing back those memories!!!

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#8 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:40 PM

If it took small flies to hook an Atlantic salmon, Geert wiuid fish a #22 midge so he could hook his first one!!

The nearly 7-foot grey back he hooked, me in case you were wondering, was not fairly done! No. He snagged me on a backcast while fishing, I'd you could call it that, from a bridge.

Bud, my first salmon was on the Tay, hooked on a #8 hook in rising water. It was 15 pounds according to the ghillie. I caught a 26 pounder in the Boneventure on a dry tied on a #4 hook using 8 lb maxima.
The moral, like tying, seems to be fish what you have.
Great thread.
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#9 Marc LeBlanc

Marc LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:52 AM

My experience mirrors those above. Like Stephen, the largest fly I caught a salmon on was a 1/0 long shank double and I caught a grilse on it! Generally speaking we use much smaller flies than you would think. In the fall and fishing big, high water We catch 20 pound salmon on size 12 salmon flies with a floating line. Luc makes a good point- 3/0 to 5/0 hooks are used in the spring to catch our spring fish (kelts) which are not at all like the springers they catch in the UK. Warren Duncan used to say that if you fished the Miramichi, you can use any size fly you want as long as it is a #6 and you can use any colour you want as long as it is black. If you followed his advice, you would catch a lot of salmon in our waters. So, I don't believe in the big fly big fish theory. Marc Ps- George, my better half is from the Tobique. The Tobique is a very pretty river and was a great place to fish in her days. Too bad those days are behind her!

#10 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:21 PM

Very true Marc. I have never fished the Nictau Pool but I have seen it, beautiful just like the river. Shame what the dams have done to that system

#11 flyryan

flyryan

Ryan Houston

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 11:17 PM

probably about 4 inches long tube fly although generally irish fish seem to like small flies and most of my fishing is done with 10s and 12s have had fish on size 16 flies

i have had fish on quite large tubes in the morning on the spate river i fish and caught fish in the evening on size 14s as the water dropped real quick

i sent a friend in Scotland a 12 inch sunray tied with chinese womens hair the other day he said he had caught salmon using TWO conventional sunrays back to back to create a 10 inch fly before so he couldnt see why the one i sent him wouldnt work

i have also had guys fishing in norway order ZG rays from me that are 6 and 7 inch long bulky templedogs one reckoned they would be the job for a big croc in spawning colours on the Alta

Ryan Houston

to see the rest of the flies i have tied just visit  facebook page and browse my photos or galleries

https://www.facebook.com/Classic-FLIES-A-Z-766762363375794/

https://youtu.be/g8qFgPJD00c

https://www.facebook.com/RyanHoustonSalmonTroutAndPikeFlies?ref=hl