30 replies to this topic

#21 Charlie Vestal

Charlie Vestal

Lakewood, Colorado

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:30 PM

Somewhere there is a list of materials for salmon flies along with the most used colors.  I think this was from Jeff Welker and is posted on Ronn Lucas' web site as part of the old Salmon Flyer.  There may be a list buried on this site written by Jim G.

Prices seem reasonable to me but that depends on quality.

Charlie

Chemical Engineering: Solving problems you didn't know you had, in ways you don't understand ......

#22 Jsylvia

Jsylvia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:09 AM

The hooks are Daiichi 2091 and the seal is a imitation, is that ok?

#23 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:26 AM

The hooks are Daiichi 2091 and the seal is a imitation, is that ok?

Seal is not expensive and widely available.  Might as well use seal ultimately.  When you are getting started, use what you have.  But, keep in mind that little else handles or looks like seal.  So, you will not be learning how to handle seal.

Darwin award winner of flytying

#24 Jsylvia

Jsylvia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 03:25 AM

Seal is not expensive and widely available.  Might as well use seal ultimately.  When you are getting started, use what you have.  But, keep in mind that little else handles or looks like seal.  So, you will not be learning how to handle seal.
good, I decided against the imitation stuff, will order the real stuff. Thank you guys, are those hooks adequate to start?

#25 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:06 AM

The Daichii's are somewhat over-shanked.  Similar to the Partridge CS10/3's.   Unless you plan on mainly tying Spey flies, you may wish to nip some off the blind end for tying traditional classics.  Obviously, the proportions of the hook will affect the proportions of the fly you tie on them.  

While on the subject of proportions, I'll start with this pearl of wisdom; the length and shape of the tail you choose will determine the entire fly you end up with.  Choose carefully! When you are beginning, you will find it useful to diagram the outline of the fly you intend to tie in actual size.  Then choose your tail to match your diagram. I see a fair number of very good tiers continue to do this.  I do not and I can tell you that my flies still often become an adventure. (I define adventure as "something you begin without knowing what the outcome will be".)

Darwin award winner of flytying

#26 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:19 PM

I can't really add anything about where to get supplies except to TOTALLY agree on dealing with John McLain at  http://www.feathersmc.com   

The only other thing I might suggest for hooks is  http://www.detteflies.com    only because he has a few of the desirable hook styles in a couple of sizes John does not...and Joe Fox the proprieter has been fair and easy to deal with from my experience.

Just spend whatever your budget allows for now...you can get crazy like the rest of us later - tongue.png

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#27 Troutmaddave

Troutmaddave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:22 PM

Hi and welcome. If you want to learn this begiling and sometimes frustrating skill then you have come to the right place. Personally I've learnt tons in the short time here under the wings of true masters!!
You can try Steve Cooper at cookshill fly tying as well for materials, he's cool to deal with and RM Jefferies for hooks
All the best
Dave

#28 Jsylvia

Jsylvia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:08 PM

Thank you guys! I will be ordering some materials this week and I will post my first attempt, so prepare your pitchforks and torches! :)

#29 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:08 PM

I do have another thought on reading material...as in a book or 2. I am a big fan of all of them, but for a true wealth of info I like Mike Radencich's "Tying The Classic Salmon Fly". Well illustrated by the author, a superb graphic artist as well very fine tyer. He also has some fine videos to choose from. My suggestion is go to his web site  http://www.radencichsalmonflies.com  and buy direct from him. Same price as everybody else and he will autograph your book for you.  My dealings with him have been great...very nice man!!

Please note this book is now out of print and he only has a limited number left in stock.....

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#30 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:36 AM

Hi Joe, I live in New Port Richey. We're practically neighbors! I would be happy to meet at some point and we can sit down and tie a couple of flies. Right now I'm in Arizona until mid February. PM you phone number and I'll give you a call when I get back to Florida.

"The longer you live, the more you look around, the more you realize something is f****d up. - George Carlin

#31 Jsylvia

Jsylvia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:01 PM

Hi Joe, I live in New Port Richey. We're practically neighbors! I would be happy to meet at some point and we can sit down and tie a couple of flies. Right now I'm in Arizona until mid February. PM you phone number and I'll give you a call when I get back to Florida.
wow! That would be awesome! Im in Port richey almost everyday, we just moved to spring hill up by 50. Ill send you a pm and look forward to getting together and doing some tying. Thanks again