6 replies to this topic

#1 copcheck

copcheck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:52 PM

I'm working from my house more and more and when the family isn't home, I like to get out of my home office and work in the family room so I started looking for a better option than a TV tray and found this on Amazon for $35.00 US.

I think it could also make a nice portable fly tying table as well and thought I'd share the link with you all.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0097GMHXG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I do most of my tying in the family room these days as I enjoy being around my family.  I bring materials from my main tying area in my basement, upstairs as I use them.

Again, for the price I thought this looked interesting and thought I'd share.

Jon

#2 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:00 PM

Looks sturdy enough and big enough to do the job. A good idea indeed...and the price is sure doable.

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#3 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:09 PM

That is an interesting insight into how you tie.  I wonder if it is common? 

When I tie, I do so much more than just work on a particular fly.  1)  I read.  A lot.  2)  I clean, sort and prep feathers.  3) I rework hooks. 4)  I build wings for flies in future.  5) I twist gut.  6)  I daydream.  Of flies to tie.  Of how I will conduct the next demonstration.  Of life itsownself.  7)  And, amazingly, I tie.  And that's not counting listening to music, or NPR, snacking, napping, bathroom breaks.

So, instead of my moving to another place to tie, I have it organized so that I tie in my wife's art studio while she paints.  This we do seven days a week unless we are travelling.

It would seem that if you move your location to do the actual tying, first you must complete over half the work; selecting and pulling all the materials.  Do you not find this to be the case?

Darwin award winner of flytying

#4 Troutmaddave

Troutmaddave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:06 PM

I live in a tiny cottage on the west coast of Ireland. Your typical stone Irish house. The main house is 3 rooms with a small extension to the rear with houses kitchen, bathroom and a bedroom. I do my tying in the middle of the 3 rooms with all the hubbub of family life crashing and banging around me!!! I don't know how I do it! Adds to the challenge I suppose

Dave

#5 Ronn Lucas

Ronn Lucas

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,301 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:09 PM

That​ looks pretty good. The pneumatic option is also interesting. Wouldn't work for me though cauz I leave everything setup all the time and the square footage is significant (two attached rooms). A lot of how I tie is like Jim but probably more sitting and thinking. Ask anyone who's been here. Sometimes it looks like I'm in a trance but I'm visualizing different potential materials for a fly or searching for colours to use.  Not typical I'm sure.

Happy Trails!
Ronn

My Website
http://www.ronnlucassr.com/
APPLE FRITTER BANDIT

#6 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:23 AM