15 replies to this topic

#1 GPT

GPT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:55 PM

Not sure how you all define classic salmon flies, but in my book, the flies developed by the likes of Charlie Krom, the late Keith Fulsher and the late Bob Warren, certainly fall into that category.  A new post on my blog shows some new flies by Charlie:  http://theriverscourse.blogspot.com/2018/01/the-latest-from-charlie-krom.html

A past post details more about the above named triumverate of salmon fly tyers:  http://theriverscourse.blogspot.com/2014/03/fulsher-krom-and-warren.html

Gary

#2 dgotz

dgotz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:46 PM

This is the first I've seen Mr. Krom's work.  Thanks a lot, Gary,  for posting this

dave gotzmer

#3 GPT

GPT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 12:36 AM

Dave, Charlie and his partner, Keith Fulsher, wrote the very important (to many of us) book, "Hairwing Atlantic Salmon Flies."  It is virtually the bible for tying hairwing salmon flies.  Has never been equaled, IMHO.   Both men were incredibly capable of tying any other kind of fly as well.

Gary

#4 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 04:57 PM

Gary,

Thanks for sharing this.

IMO, Charlie, Keith, Dunc, Bob, others, and their hair wings are certainly part of the classic salmon fly world.  Hair wings go back a long way in fly fishing.  It is odd how we have kind of separated them from the classic feather wing flies.

why?

#5 GPT

GPT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 06:39 PM

Interestingly, the upcoming Atlantic Salmon Fly International in New Brunswick invites primarily "classic feather wing fly" tyers.  I'm happy to report that the committee running that event (Hi, Marc!) decided that hairwing flies are an important component of the history of Miramichi River flies, so they invited a few guys like me to tie hairwings in the midst of all those feathers.  Should be cool.

Gary

#6 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 06:39 PM

Gary,

Thanks for sharing this.

IMO, Charlie, Keith, Dunc, Bob, others, and their hair wings are certainly part of the classic salmon fly world.  Hair wings go back a long way in fly fishing.  It is odd how we have kind of separated them from the classic feather wing flies.

why?

Why?  I suspect beauty is the reason.   Hair wings are generally accepted to be more durable, functional fishing tackle.  Is there one that is as beautiful as an Evening Star?  A Jock Scott?  A Chatterer?  Will you be framing your Green Butt Skunks?

Darwin award winner of flytying

#7 conrad

conrad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:51 PM

Great site ,thanks for sharing
Tony Conrad

#8 GPT

GPT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:20 PM

"Why?  I suspect beauty is the reason.   Hair wings are generally accepted to be more durable, functional fishing tackle.  Is there one that is as beautiful as an Evening Star?  A Jock Scott?  A Chatterer?  Will you be framing your Green Butt Skunks?"

I've always gotten along pretty well holding to the concept that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  You might enjoy some of the ways William Cushner framed hairwings, as well as other flys, here:

I wish the photos were better.  When I was executive director of the American Museum of Fly Fishing, we had 207 of Cushner's framings, many of them of hairwings by many of the great tyers, who could all tie "classic featherwings" with the best of them.

Anyway, in answer to your question, yup, I'd be framing Green Butt Skunks.  Actually, I framed 66 hairwings that I tied for Mike Valla's latest book, published by Stackpole, and they sold, at an Miramichi Salmon Assoc. dinner, for a thousand bucks.  Must be some people out there that like a framed hairwing.

TrJoOPG.jpg
s5c6vPh.jpg
vkMOFSf.jpg

Gary

P.S.  Anybody here fish an Evening Star lately?

#9 dgotz

dgotz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:04 PM

Congratulations on such a collection, Gary.  I'm a big fan of hairwings

#10 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:28 PM

Gary - Touche !!!  

Who was the first north american that converted the classic featherwing AS fly to hairwing?

#11 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:35 PM

Thanks Gary,apparently youre not just another pretty face.lol

Royce, I dont think anyone can answer that for sure but would make for some interesting reading

#12 GPT

GPT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:31 PM

I sure wish Bob Warren was still alive.  He was an incredible source of knowledge about fly history.  So many unasked questions.  A board committee I'm on at the Miramichi Salmon Association is gearing up for an oral history project similar to the great project ongoing at Montana State (http://www.lib.montana.edu/trout/oral-histories/)   Man, I want to get that going!

Gary

#13 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:12 AM

That sure would be a great read Gary,do you guys have a time frame?

Stephen

#14 GPT

GPT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:17 PM

I'll find out this weekend, Stephen.

Gary

#15 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:54 PM

Attached File  images.jpeg   5.72K   13 downloads

Gary,

This was taken at a Ramsey Outdoors cabin fever day.  Your post reminded me of this photo taken by Pam Bates.

You know all but some viewing this may not...

Left to right,   me, Bob Warren, Keith Fulsher, Warren Duncan and Charlie Krom

Ted

#16 Marc LeBlanc

Marc LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 07:30 PM

Great thread. Nice photo Ted. Was there a Big WANTED at the top of that photo?????

Marc