#1 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:56 PM

Good morning everyone!!

Like the subject line says...I guess it can happen. I've been working on a number of needed trout flies for the coming season. Exciting stuff like Rusty Spinners, Pale Watery Spinners, Scuds, stonefly nymphs, etc, etc. Strangely I have had absolutely no urge to put a hook in the vise and tie a classic pattern...maybe one I've never done before, or something I haven't tied in a while, or something creative like John McLain, Copcheck and Gordeaux  have been encouraging me to do.

It seems almost like what is commonly known as "writers block". This site is like going to a therapist on a certain level...so I must ask...Does this ever occur with any my fellow tyers out there? I mean I want to get back into tying something special...but the brain just won't click into gear...and I have no clue when it might do so.

Thoughts ladies and gentlemen.....

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#2 Troutmaddave

Troutmaddave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:17 PM

It kinda happened for me at the beginning of this tying season. No interest. All I could be bothered tying was Irish style wets and dries. And making a couple of fly boxes.
I kept trolling through books, looking here and nothing clicked. I even watched Kiss The Water a couple of times, which usually works!! Still nothing
Then one day...............
Don't sweat it George.
Tie a Durham Ranger and post it here, I'll tie one as well!!
Ready........steady........................go!!!
Cheers
Dave

#3 bags6lax

bags6lax

Stow, MA USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:49 PM

I always try and move around with different styles. I like obscure too. Simple flies too...helps build your skills.

Probably why I love Francis Francis so much

-Matt

#4 Tidal

Tidal

Val Kropiwnicki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:18 PM

When I was in Art school a professor asked us what we would do if we woke up one day and realized we didn't want to make art. There were ensuing conversations about passion, and obligation, and practice, and fear but my answer was simple and quick - I would just go fishing.

Now that I am skating down the back side of life I just get up and make what I want and fish when I can.

It usually all comes back around again, and if it doesn't...

...change is good.

#5 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:28 PM

all the time !!!!!!!   i get bored quickly and tie in spurts.   trout stuff, salt water, streamers...full dress.  I enjoy changing the palette.

#6 Ronn Lucas

Ronn Lucas

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,301 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:33 PM

Absolutely! I've gotten them few times and it runs for weeks, months and even a year or more. Just don't have the urge to tie. The last few years has been different, I've never tied as many flies for three years or so. I mix it up from BIG to SMALL, stuff I like to tie and stuff I don't, just to make sure I can do it all. I always have a hook in the vise to remind myself it's still there ready to go when I am. 

Happy Trails!
Ronn

My Website
http://www.ronnlucassr.com/
APPLE FRITTER BANDIT

#7 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:47 PM

Thanks guys...I'm not surprised by what you've said...and there is no panic setting in yetohmy.png ohmy.png 

We'll see what tomorrow brings. Meanwhile I'll hang around here as an occasional break from the current batch of Pale Watery Spinners.tongue.png

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#8 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:31 PM

George,like Ted I go in spurts. I used to try to tie a little every evening but now I seem to run out of time or something comes up. I think you will be Ok and Dave has a great idea, lets all tie a Durham Ranger. Where is Dale, he can join also

Stephen

#9 Troutmaddave

Troutmaddave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:53 PM

I'm in!

#10 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:02 PM

Who is Durham? Where does she range? For what it's worth, George, for many years I practiced the piano every day for multiple hours. Tedium? Hmm. Challenging physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. You get there were days I'd have rather full in the blank. And if course days I saved and fished, played golf or whatever. And on the other hand I spent about ten years tying at least ten dozen trout flies six days a week close to year around. Same temptation. In each case the decision to sit down and do the work resulted in the work, the music, the materials, urging me on. And getting outside of my own comfort zone was always useful, dropping firm preconceptions and seeing where the adventure would go. Just the a fly, good, bad or indifferent. We'll all still love you.
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#11 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:48 AM

well I have the body done on mine, guess I had better figure out this picture thing soon or you guys will have to take my word for it.lol

Stephen

#12 Troutmaddave

Troutmaddave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:03 AM

well I have the body done on mine, guess I had better figure out this picture thing soon or you guys will have to take my word for it.lol

Wow, you don't mess around!!

Stephen

#13 Flynewbrunswick

Flynewbrunswick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:07 AM

Think we all hit this point  at one time or another.  I agree with Ron, I always have a gutted hook in my vice  to peak my interest. 
A couple weeks ago I went 4 days looking for a pattern, nothing got me motivated . When I hit these ruts I tend to choose a difficult fly to get me back in the mood and  keep me working on the flee little by little.  I ended up choosing a chatterer . Still in the vice about 90% complete. No rush. Sometimes even just tying the tag + tail gets me over the rut, keeps me wanting to progress further

Chris

#14 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:26 PM

The people on this site never fail to amaze me. You are a great bunch...and I thank you all !!!!

I had some company here last Saturday, a fellow who has an amazing collection of old salmon flies...many from Megan Boyd. Needless to say we had a fun time going through and discussing the many variations and styles of flies. The perhaps 2000 (yes thousand) flies he had with him are only about 25% of his collection. I'm hoping to get the chance to photograph some of them and post some of those pictures here. I think many of you will find them interesting.

All that being said, I'll add this new friend is sending me old flies where the gut eyes are missing and he figures the old hooks can be put to use again by someone like myself. That,  along with your inspiration will help get me back over the vise. Some of Ronn's hooks in the mix don't hurt eitherwink.png

Thanks again boys !!!!

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

#15 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:35 PM

It kinda happened for me at the beginning of this tying season. No interest. All I could be bothered tying was Irish style wets and dries. And making a couple of fly boxes.
I kept trolling through books, looking here and nothing clicked. I even watched Kiss The Water a couple of times, which usually works!! Still nothing
Don't sweat it George.
Cheers
Dave

Hey Dave,

I just told Dale I've decided to take up your challenge to get me started. I have 1 dozen trout flies to go then a hook the DR will be put in the vise. I recently made a gift of a Silver Jock Scott of mine and so that must be replaced. That will be next after the DR.

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

#16 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:40 PM

You go buddy

Stephen

#17 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:31 PM

You go buddy

Stephen

Will do my friend...you along with the rest of my colleagues on this amazing site inspire me......

Petri Heil,

George

#18 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:27 PM

Well George, I have been called a number of things but an inspiration was not among them.lol

#19 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:54 PM

As my friend John McLain would say...it is what it isbiggrin.png

Petri Heil,

George

#20 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:03 PM

Don't sweat it George.
Cheers
Dave

Well...the gauntlet has bee thrown down...the challenge accepted...and the DR is started. I was prepping the tail veil and I thought I'd put the word out the fly has begun.

Petri Heil,

George