#21 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:21 PM

Regarding care of the rods....

First - At the end of the day I ALWAYS wipe down and make sure the rod is dry. I have a spot in my SUV where the rod can lay safely to continue drying on the way home...and it stays out in the house laying flat overnight. It is only then that the rod goes back into its bag and tube for safe and straight storage.

Second - When fighting a fish I make a point of regularly turning the rod over to help prevent a set developing in the tip due to constant pressure in one direction.

Third - Assuming the rod has 2 tips...make a sure you alternate using each. My method is simple...the tip closest to the butt in the rod bag is used that day. When I take that tip from the bag I simply move the other one over to that spot and voila...it will be in the spot where it will be put into service next time out.

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#22 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 02:58 PM

I suppose my greater concern is how to care for rods that are not used for decades on end, George.   It sounded like you treated your rods as I do and just left them upright in their bags and tubes in a safe.  I should likely do as you did and let the ones worth collecting go to someone with an interest in using them from time to time.  Inertia gets in the way, however.  Selling them would be more trouble than the money would be worth to me.  Don't need the money right now.  I may not ever need it...I propose to keep working until dead.

Darwin award winner of flytying

#23 Troutmaddave

Troutmaddave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 03:47 PM

You should hang them in their bags. That way they keep straight.

#24 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:21 PM

I suppose my greater concern is how to care for rods that are not used for decades on end, George.   It sounded like you treated your rods as I do and just left them upright in their bags and tubes in a safe.  I should likely do as you did and let the ones worth collecting go to someone with an interest in using them from time to time.  Inertia gets in the way, however.  Selling them would be more trouble than the money would be worth to me.  Don't need the money right now.  I may not ever need it...I propose to keep working until dead.

As long as the rods are in that controlled environment you mentioned they should be fine. The really old stuff with hide glue really need that clean dry air...moisture is the kiss of death

You should hang them in their bags. That way they keep straight.

I agree on a certain level Dave...but...as long as everything is totally (!!!) dry when put into the tube any rod will be fine, and stay straight.

Petri Heil,

George

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#25 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:25 PM

George has been trained well in the way of the bamboo  :)

#26 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:13 AM

I'm fortunate to live in the high desert; the humidity is typically very low.  Maybe that will be my rod's salvation.  But, I still like the idea of hanging more of them bare and assembled.  Not only will that hold them straight, but it will allow me to keep an eye on them and allow my patients to enjoy seeing them.  Right now the ones hanging are spaced about ten inches apart on the wall.  I can hang them cheek by jowl and probably hang another 40 rods.  The room is about 24 feet tall, so I can even hang the old two handed rods.

Darwin award winner of flytying

#27 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 02:19 PM

George has been trained well in the way of the bamboo  smile.png

Thank you Royce...I had a good teacher/mentor and he deserves the credit. Hell I even treat my graphite rods the same way.....

I'm fortunate to live in the high desert; the humidity is typically very low.  Maybe that will be my rod's salvation.  But, I still like the idea of hanging more of them bare and assembled.  Not only will that hold them straight, but it will allow me to keep an eye on them and allow my patients to enjoy seeing them.  Right now the ones hanging are spaced about ten inches apart on the wall.  I can hang them cheek by jowl and probably hang another 40 rods.  The room is about 24 feet tall, so I can even hang the old two handed rods.

I have no doubt you are so right about the high desert weather being good for the safe keeping of the rods Jim...and you sure can't go wrong with hanging them the way you describe.

Petri Heil,

George

#28 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:45 PM

Per DD's recommendation I picked up a couple of Jerry Kustich's books.  His "Wisp in the Wind" is very good read for a bamboo and fly fishing experience.  Jerry has an excellent perspective on Glenn B.

#29 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:05 AM

Glad to hear you found the books Royce! Jerry is a fine man and writes with a passionate perspective.
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year