18 replies to this topic

#1 copcheck

copcheck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:57 PM

As I've made clear one thing I admire about this forum is the immense amount of talent and information here, one thing I dislike greatly are the "there is only one way" type opinions.

With that said, I'm going to ask a question and it is my sincerest goal to get clarification and not pass judgement.

When I tie a fly and post a picture, my goal is to showcase the fly and seek feedback or guidance and I try to remove background noise while positioning the fly so that it is easily viewed.

I've noticed that many people post pictures of flies at such angles that I either have to contort my head to view it or download a copy and rotate it.  My feeling is that it takes away from the viewing experience (remember, this is from my perspective which is not the only way).  I'm curious why people do that.

I suspect it could be that people are:

A.  Not looking for feedback, rather posting a fly in an artistic manner.

B.  Placing scissors, feathers, etc in the background to draw attention away from the fly to some degree

C. Other

What are your thoughts?  Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Jon

#2 Jim_Montgomery

Jim_Montgomery

Vero Beach, FL USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:20 PM

At some point it felt like a fly was presented in a manner that would aid in dissection and result in a constructive criticism of technique, style, material usage, etc. As I grew as a tier for me it became more of a creation, a construction if you will of an object of beauty. How better to display this "object" than with a photograph with artistic leanings.

Killing two birds with one stone so to speak. The ability to imitate and also the ability to project a sense of artistic expression.

Phlies and Photos
The Ninja Fly Tier

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley. ~Author Unknown

#3 Tidal

Tidal

Val Kropiwnicki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:11 PM

Objects in a photo can also act a point of reference in terms of scale.

#4 copcheck

copcheck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:31 PM

Good feedback and thank you.

I guess for me the main question is why post a fly at a diagonal angle?  That's the part, at least for me I find difficult to look at.

I'd like to post some example, but out of respect for the tyer or tyers I don't want to make it appear as though I'm being critical of their work.

Again this is more of a curiosity for me.

Thanks again,

Jon

#5 Jim_Montgomery

Jim_Montgomery

Vero Beach, FL USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:27 PM

Cause it makes a better composition?

Phlies and Photos
The Ninja Fly Tier

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley. ~Author Unknown

#6 Tidal

Tidal

Val Kropiwnicki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:41 PM

It is said that as artist we all make the same piece of art over and over our entire lives. To a degree I believe this statement. But for the most part I say what I say in a composition that feels right to me. If it feels right to me I can "see" it best.

For me hook shank about 5 degrees below horizontal just feels right, I can see it.

#7 Ronn Lucas

Ronn Lucas

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,301 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:46 PM

My fly photos are strictly to view first the whole fly and second to see the details in as minute as I can. No "artistic" poses that take away that ability. My opinion (and here I agree with Jon, I don't mean to be at all critical of anyone) the artsy photos are fine in books & magazines where if you want, you can rotate the book.  

Happy Trails!
Ronn

My Website
http://www.ronnlucassr.com/
APPLE FRITTER BANDIT

#8 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:18 PM

I love Jim's flies, and his compositions. 

I love DG's stories with his flies because it's a composition

In fact I like some compositions better then the flies with the stale backgrounds, my opinion of course  :)

If the fly is a free style or art fly, a 100% total focus on the fly is great.  However if it's a historical pattern I really like historical context in the picture, or if it's a standard pattern we've seen one hundred times, what's better then adding some interest with a composition.  Sometimes  Real color, light and dimension are part of a fly in a composition.   For me, I'd rather have a conversation about a fly, whether it's technique, history, or design process then the "Why did you forget the horns?" 

Maybe we should start a thread on fly compositions    ;)

carry on  

#9 copcheck

copcheck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for the feedback, I suppose I can check this curiosity off my list of questions to ask.

Jon

#10 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:04 PM

But keep asking Jon.
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#11 DAVEL

DAVEL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:41 PM

In the past I have posted most of my flies on the diagonal because I can get the closet shot with the camera that way...so you could see the details much better....especially with long streamer flies.

Dave

#12 Tidal

Tidal

Val Kropiwnicki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:58 PM

I look at photos this way too - it is your last best chance to get your intent realized.

#13 Jim_Montgomery

Jim_Montgomery

Vero Beach, FL USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:27 PM

And if you want to check composition and or proportions look at it upside down

Phlies and Photos
The Ninja Fly Tier

#14 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:55 PM

Well, anyone who has ever viewed my fly photos can tell at a glance that compositional photo art is the very last thing on my mind.  For a still photograph, I am fine with a side on view so I can judge my own work and tell what I need to do to that particular fly to make it better.  When I share them, it is so others can do the same.  I rarely take a photo of flies once I have them ready to frame.  It's not about the photo; it's about the fly.

Maybe a special category for photo art?  Fly art does not need the embellishment, in my (humble) opinion.  :)  

Darwin award winner of flytying

#15 Tidal

Tidal

Val Kropiwnicki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:10 PM

Tangent: the hardest thing is to look at ones own work(in process) with objective eyes. A lot of the time we are so emotionally involved with our tying that we forget to see what we are doing. Sometimes it is not untill the photo that we realize we forgot this that. With freestyles it is easy to cover a missed step, with patterns not so much.

#16 Ronn Lucas

Ronn Lucas

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,301 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:35 PM

Val, et all, the way I tie my flies about 95% of my tying is just sitting, thinking about options and materials and looking through my materials.......even those messy looking bits of unused feather parts and misc stuff around my vise space get used eventually. Royce and anyone who has been here and watched me tie can verify. The stuff on my three tables get first crack on the fly and the Rubbermaid boxes, second. Then the rest (of what you can see) of the materials and my original tying bench are in the other room.  These are very old photos so the room looks a bit different and there are three good size cabinets behind where I took the photos from. I am pretty organized albeit a bit sloppy at times. I know where every small/big thing is. Jim G you would like my tooth cabinets for fly storage. I have three more that are now on the bigger shelves. 

Attached Files

Happy Trails!
Ronn

My Website
APPLE FRITTER BANDIT

#17 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:00 AM

Ronn.  Have you figured out something to do with that Baldor lathe on the shelf related to flies?  If so, let me know.  I have one on the shelf as well....I bought it as a back up for the one I use in my office thirty years ago.  Turns out, you don't need a back up.  They NEVER fail.

Darwin award winner of flytying

#18 Ronn Lucas

Ronn Lucas

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,301 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:56 AM

ha ha ha When I retired, I sold all of my equipment & materials but I kept that lathe and my high speed & Midwest low speed (for straight shank burs) handpieces. Didn't even think to keep a bit of plaster. EVERYTHING went and that chapter of my life was over.........haven't missed it a minute. The only thing Miss a tiny bit is the ability to make cast gold things. I have some of the rings & stuff I made over the years that my son isn't interested in that I may melt and send in one day. 

Happy Trails!
Ronn

My Website
APPLE FRITTER BANDIT

#19 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:31 AM

Once a Dentist/Dental tech always a dentist !   Jim that is pretty funny that you picked that Baldor out of the pile! 

I should buy one of those from you guys, I can think of a number of things to do with those in regard to Bamboo rods.