ClassicFlyTying.com Sponsors
Hand Made Salmon Hooks
Ronn Lucas, Sr.
www.ronnlucassr.com
(503)654-0466
[email protected]

Photo

Where do you get your Bivisible hackles?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 overmywaders

overmywaders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:14 PM

I have not been able to locate a source for the tapered dry fly hackles that make the Bivisibles so distinctive. In the early 1960's we did not have roosters that were carefully bred for optimal hackle properties. Then our hackle feathers would have shorter barbs at the tip, with the barbs became progressively longer toward the base. Thus we needed to use two hackles on a Catskill dry in order to avoid differences in barb length.

A Bivisible takes advantage of the tapered hackle. Does anyone know where I can get decent necks with the tapered feathers? Thanks.

#2 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:25 PM

Agreed. I'd think you'd need to find antique stuff: before Whiting and Hoffman.

If you could go through decent Indian rooster capes and saddles there'd be some. On the big side though.

Ever try tying and winding three different sized genetic feathers? Several turns of 16, 15, 14 etc? Might work good.

Good luck.
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#3 Ed M

Ed M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 02:58 PM

Interesting - good point...  Frankly, it's getting harder to find saddles that tie anything larger than a 16 these days

One thought - the feathers on Whiting Herbert Miner CAPES do have taper to them, and can probably get you a large way towards the taper you seek.  The Miner capes are bred for their naturally occurring (what they call) Dun colors, and I don't think they engineer them as much trying to get 12" long feathers as they do the other lines.  The fad, going back, where people had feathers woven into their hair put such a price premium on these longer feathers that you can see why folks were struggling to meet the demand.  Now that that's over, it's just back to us fly tiers as "the market"

Hope this helps,

Ed

#4 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:27 AM

reed.

look for those indian necks you were talking about...i've seen them at shows, shops etc...

send me a pm if you can't find them

#5 overmywaders

overmywaders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:58 AM

Thanks, all. I just  found that Dave at http://featheremporium.com has good prices on Indian gamecock capes. I'll pick up some there.