#1 JoshP

JoshP

Bluefield, WV

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:14 AM

For Stephen and Dale.

May have went a little longish on the hackle. Better Picture?

Attached File  IMG_1450.JPG   43.46K   132 downloads

#2 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:29 AM

Thanks, sparse I like sparse. Also like the quill you used in the body. As far as the hackle, I think is fine looks to be balanced out by the tail. Very fishy

Stephen

#3 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:32 AM

Well done.
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#4 squire123

squire123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:46 AM

Well proportioned, I like the way the tail intersection is so neatly done and the gradual build up of the body.

Regards,

Squire

#5 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:15 AM

Beautiful fly Josh.

#6 Ed M

Ed M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:46 PM

Josh

WOW, nice tie - I can only dream of getting my quill bodies that slender and nicely tapered.  

Wondering as a newbie to this site - has anyone had any experience with using the EP trigger point fibers in place of wood duck for wings?  They make a "lemon grey" color that's on point for wood duck color-wise, and was thinking of using them as Quill Gordons are next on my to-tie list - my interest is simply that synthetics add to durability...

I've been giving it a try lately, and would welcome any thoughts - here's a March Brown I tied recently

Thanks, Ed

Attached Files

#7 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:25 PM

Hi Ed

Welcome. Interesting hook.

For fishing flies use anything you want. The trout don't seem to mind until they take a fly. I'll say this, duck fibers are extremely strong and durable. Do you use them where you are?

Let's see other dries you're tying.
Dale

#8 feathers5

feathers5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:28 PM

Very, very nice.

#9 Ed M

Ed M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:15 PM

Dale,

Thanks!  Unless I misread it, one of the last two issues of Fly Tyer magazine did an article on hooks - in one section they discussed the TMC 206BL which is what my March Brown is tied on.  In the article, what they said about this hook was that it curved towards the very rear of the hook, had a very wide gape (making hooking easier), and that a traditional style dry tied on it as a result (of tying up to but not into the turn) would be a hook body size smaller than the listed size of the hook.  In other words, a fly tied on a TMC 206BL in a size 12 is comparable to a 14 tied on another hook.  I love up eye dry hooks (the look - fish don't care), and the fact that these hooks are up eye sealed the deal for me.  I regularly tie my dries on Kamasan B440s when I can get them, and my default is a Dai Riki 305.

Feathers5, thanks!

Best, Ed

PS - I'd love to share more photos b/c it means I'm more likely to pick up tips - my problem is that my cell phone seems to take pictures that are too large to upload in terms of file size - I had to play around with the photo, crop it, and dumb down the resolution in order to get to a 2 MB file - any & all tricks for this welcomed

#10 JoshP

JoshP

Bluefield, WV

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:43 PM

Good looking fly Ed! I use a similar hook (tiemco, I believe) for traditional tenkara flies. There are some vintage Bergman turned up eye dry hooks for sale on eBay right now. May be worth a look.

#11 Ed M

Ed M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:53 PM

Josh -

Thanks - I'll check out those Bergmans tonight

Actually, identical hook, then - TMC was me abbreviating Tiemco

Best,  Ed

#12 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:41 AM

Hi Ed,

Mustad made an elegant return wire up eye barbless hook. I can't recall the number - last I used them would have been nearly 35 years ago. I stopped tying fishing flies on the hook because the barbless kept the hook from hooking very well. I still prefer flattening a barb to a made barbless hook. But I'm not familiar with this one, other than seeing them.

The concept of shorter shank/wider gap is something I've used for a very long time, but on hooks smaller than 18. The gap on a standard 18 is plenty wide to hook and hold large fish. I've caught big carp on a royal coachman trude dry tied on #18 standard dry hook. No problem. But tying a fly that imitates a #24 insect on a #20 gap hook is useful.

That said, a key to tying pretty much any set of flies well is making the fly fit the hook. And more or less mine size and shape of the insect. We're tying mayflies here, so that kerns a few things. One that you missed with this March brown is the wing length, I think. Here I'm speaking of tradition style adult mayfly imitations. The tail and wing lengths are about the same. The hackle reaches to about 2/3 the length of the wing height. Sort of.

If you look at the olive mayfly I recently posted I talked about the minor adjustments of tail vs hackle length. The issue is practical: allow the fly to float correctly, naturally, on water.

Anyway, it's be good to discuss proportions as anyone likes. The hook sets the foundation. I'd say it's primarily tyable shank length that matters.

And the ever important, relative to a fly, which isn't very important but lots of fun to tie, head area behind the eye - or in the traditional Catskill trsditiin in front of the hackle with bare hook wire between it and the eye - and the tail tie in position.

Re photos. I'd suggest taking the picture from a little farther away, so the fly itself consumes less frame real estate, and then cropping out all the extra fly less real estate. ?
Dale

#13 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:42 AM

Ed
When you next post a fly, start a new topic so others see it. Thanks.